BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1002363 - 12/15/17 12:19 AM Best CCA Battery?  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
I am looking for a NEW battery. My R1200RT historically struggles to rapidly 'turn over' - even with a new battery. Here is a link comparing a PC680 Odyssey ($117, CCA 170) to a Scorpion YT51913-22 ($78.95, CCA 255). I am inclined to get the Scorpion with more cranking and less cost - thoughts? I am NOT planning on keeping this bike for more than another year.
BTW - I had a Bikemaster MS51913 (CCA) for about 3 years before it stopped working properly and it cranking power on my bike was marginal - but the bike always started. Thanks.

2008 R1200RT & 2009 F650GS (TWIN)
#1002366 - 12/15/17 01:40 AM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Dimond
I am looking for a NEW battery. My R1200RT historically struggles to rapidly 'turn over' - even with a new battery. Here is a link comparing a PC680 Odyssey ($117, CCA 170) to a Scorpion YT51913-22 ($78.95, CCA 255). I am inclined to get the Scorpion with more cranking and less cost - thoughts? I am NOT planning on keeping this bike for more than another year.
BTW - I had a Bikemaster MS51913 (CCA) for about 3 years before it stopped working properly and it cranking power on my bike was marginal - but the bike always started. Thanks.

Evening Dimond

You need to do some investigation. CCA by itself doesn't tell the whole story. You need to determine at what pulldown voltage the CCA is measured at. 255CCA at a lower cranking voltage isn't very useful if it is below the cranking voltage that your motorcycle needs. Or put another way: 170CCA @10 volts beats the heck out of 255CCA @ 7 volts. (note; these are not the actual voltage numbers just used to show the possible difference)

I don't know the specs on the Scorpion but a lot of cheap power supply batteries will beat the Odyssey on CCA alone but can't cut the mustard at decent cranking voltage in real cold weather that the Odyssey handles with ease.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002369 - 12/15/17 12:01 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: dirtrider]  
Dave_in_TX Offline
Dave_in_TX  Offline

Austin TX
If you're looking for something cheaper than the odyssey, check out Deka. You can find them priced close to the Scorpion and have a good reputation. I have one in my 2014 R1200GS and had one in my 2011 RT.

#1002371 - 12/15/17 12:18 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
I have been using Westco for a number of years and they work just fine. You can usually get them from BeemerBoneYard for a really good price. If you are a member of ADVrider there is a discount as well and I think one for being a member of the BMW MOA.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#1002377 - 12/15/17 02:17 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Don't know if Hexhead uses the same size battery as the older R1100RT but I really think the AGM battery UB12220 from Universal Battery is all that and a bag of chips. It is a 22AH battery VS 19AH for the OEM and seems to offer enough cranking power spin up my R1100 without a problems even down to 40F. It cost me about $50 shipped to my door (the virtue of shopping outside the MC market channel). The R1100RT had a problem with the ABS computer throwing a low voltage fault on start up if the battery wasn't fully up to snuff. This battery eliminated that issue as the voltage always seems to be above the fault threshold even after sitting for a couple for weeks without being on a battery tender.

The only thing to keep in mind is that this battery was originally designed for computer battery back up and emergency lighting systems so your have to ream out the post holes slightly to fit the RT battery bolts and connectors. When I first went to this battery I was concerned that the posts being thinner than a automotive battery it would suffer reliability issues in an automotive environment, but that should not be a worry as I have now run three of them with each lasting 5+ years if you use a tender in the off season.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002380 - 12/15/17 02:36 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Paul De]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Paul De
Don't know if Hexhead uses the same size battery as the older R1100RT but I really think the AGM battery UB12220 from Universal Battery is all that and a bag of chips. It is a 22AH battery VS 19AH for the OEM and seems to offer enough cranking power spin up my R1100 without a problems even down to 40F. It cost me about $50 shipped to my door (the virtue of shopping outside the MC market channel). The R1100RT had a problem with the ABS computer throwing a low voltage fault on start up if the battery wasn't fully up to snuff. This battery eliminated that issue as the voltage always seems to be above the fault threshold even after sitting for a couple for weeks without being on a battery tender.

The only thing to keep in mind is that this battery was originally designed for computer battery back up and emergency lighting systems so your have to ream out the post holes slightly to fit the RT battery bolts and connectors. When I first went to this battery I was concerned that the posts being thinner than a automotive battery this battery would suffer reliability issues in an automotive environment, but that should not be a worry as I have now run three of them with each lasting 5+ years if you use a tender in the off season.

Morning Paul

Just keep in mind that you are comparing a Universal (power supply) battery to a heavy duty starting & Power Craft battery. Even then you are comparing AH rating not starting capability of CCA. AH rating is much me important to a continuous drain power supply battery but in a vehicle starting battery CCA at starting pull down voltage is much more important.

Most UB12220 (from different manufacture/suppliers) will start a BMW 1100/1150 OK in warmish weather (40°f isn't very cold) but they don't have a lot of (weren't designed to) carry much reserve starting capacity.

The UB12220 also have rather thin cases (they don't need to withstand continuous bouncing & vibrations & their plates are thin & the posts & post connections are very light duty.

For a cheaper battery (light duty) the UB12220 isn't a bad battery but they sure aren't very robust & lack any serious cold weather starting capacity.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002386 - 12/15/17 07:26 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
Interesting replies - thanks! Bought the Scorpion. Will advise in a week on my perceived cranking power. Most of my starting is at 50f plus. Rarely in the mid 30s _ never lower.

#1002387 - 12/15/17 07:44 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: dirtrider]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted by dirtrider

Morning Paul

Just keep in mind that you are comparing a Universal (power supply) battery to a heavy duty starting & Power Craft battery. Even then you are comparing AH rating not starting capability of CCA. AH rating is much me important to a continuous drain power supply battery but in a vehicle starting battery CCA at starting pull down voltage is much more important.

Most UB12220 (from different manufacture/suppliers) will start a BMW 1100/1150 OK in warmish weather (40°f isn't very cold) but they don't have a lot of (weren't designed to) carry much reserve starting capacity.

The UB12220 also have rather thin cases (they don't need to withstand continuous bouncing & vibrations & their plates are thin & the posts & post connections are very light duty.

For a cheaper battery (light duty) the UB12220 isn't a bad battery but they sure aren't very robust & lack any serious cold weather starting capacity.

Afternoon D.R.

I fully get your points and were my concerns as well, but did the first UB12220 as a $50 experiment. After 15+ years of using these nonstandard batteries, none of the concerns pointed out were borne out, but as always, YRMV. I even fired the bike up at below 30F one time but I did have winter weight oil in the motor and it did crank slow, but still it fired the bike up...Thinking it was -5F and will never ride at that temp again...even with my heated gear. To be sure, if I were riding a GS off road a lot, I would not take the chance the UB would survive that environment.

Originally Posted by Dimond

Interesting replies - thanks! Bought the Scorpion. Will advise in a week on my perceived cranking power. Most of my starting is at 50f plus. Rarely in the mid 30s _ never lower.

Yes please let us know what your experience is

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1002590 - 12/21/17 04:54 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
Sold my RT BEFORE the battery arrived. Bought a K1300GT. If it is half as much fun as my RT I will be a happy man! Thanks to all that have provided me invaluable hexhead advice on this forum.

#1002591 - 12/21/17 04:56 PM Re: Best CCA Battery? [Re: Dimond]  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
Sold my RT BEFORE the battery arrived. Bought a K1300GT. If it is half as much fun as my RT I will be a happy man! Thanks to all that have provided me invaluable hexhead advice on this forum.