BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1002398 - 12/16/17 01:29 AM Fuel Strip Repair !?  
rglassma Offline
rglassma  Offline

Hello All,

I had an interesting experience today. My fuel strip failed several weeks back for the 5th time. This time, the dealer wanted 450.00 to fix it. My bike is an '05 and the 12 year warranty is out. The dealer said it was longer than two years since the last time that I had the repair done. So, according to them, I need to pay up for repair. I think they were wrong but I can't find the last receipt. Oh well. So, my buddy and I proceeded to find the correct BBQ grill spark tool to attempt a repair on our own. Since the two dollar ones only have 1 wire, and you need the two wire Pezio version, I purchased a universal gas grill replacement lighter for this task. It was great because it came with wires that had connectors on them that would actually fit the male pins on the plug near the fuel pump, We had to make one splice and that was it. The tool works like a charm.

Now that I have said all that, the strange thing was that we sparked the plug 6 times., and then ran the self test by turning on the ignition of the bike. After about 60 seconds, the fuel strip started working again and I all the functions showed up. At that point, we were elated. It was working again !!!!! Yay !!! We saved 450.00 .. So, now I could remove the black tape covering the yellow triangle so that I don't have to see that blasted thing blinking all the time.

But, after about 20 minutes, the strip stopped working just as quickly as it started. What ????? Oh no !!!!! .. I let it sit for an hour, and tried the process all over again. I zapped it 6 more times, put the bike through the diagnostics, and wala !!!! It is now working again. Who knows for how long though. I just turned the bike off and left it for the night.

This is one of the strangest things that I have seen. Anyone have any idea about what is going on????

#1002400 - 12/16/17 02:05 AM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
Dave_zoom_zoom Offline
Dave_zoom_zoom  Offline

British Columbia Canada
Originally Posted by rglassma
Hello All,
. Anyone have any idea about what is going on????

What's going on????

Either you are doing a great job of pulling our leg or you may be in a short line for some kind of a wonderful award.

Either way, keep on trucking.

Dave

#1002404 - 12/16/17 04:32 AM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
The fuel strip is made up of electrically conductive traces encapsulated between two sheets of plastic. The strips fail when a crack develops in the traces.(Or possibly where the strip attaches inside the connector, according to a long thread at advrider.com). The BBQ igniter generates a spark that can jump the gap, and the spark carries bits of the conductive material with it. After enough sparks, the crack is bridged, and the strip works again, for a while. It's not always reliable because there is very little material bridging the gap, and the conductor next to the crack is now a little thinner. For the price, it's still worth a try or two.

An engineering firm in the Netherlands has developed float conversion kits for the GS/GSA., and the RT. At about $355, I'd probably go that route before taking a chance on another BMW strip.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1002406 - 12/16/17 12:15 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: lkraus]  
TestPilot Offline
TestPilot  Offline

Williamsville, NY
Larry,

Do you have a contact for that firm in the Netherlands?

Karl
2007 R1200ST
#1002408 - 12/16/17 01:14 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: lkraus]  
rglassma Offline
rglassma  Offline

Originally Posted by Dave_zoom_zoom
Hello All,
. Anyone have any idea about what is going on????

What's going on????

Either you are doing a great job of pulling our leg or you may be in a short line for some kind of a wonderful award.

Either way, keep on trucking.

Dave

Originally Posted by lkraus
The fuel strip is made up of electrically conductive traces encapsulated between two sheets of plastic. The strips fail when a crack develops in the traces.(Or possibly where the strip attaches inside the connector, according to a long thread at advrider.com). The BBQ igniter generates a spark that can jump the gap, and the spark carries bits of the conductive material with it. After enough sparks, the crack is bridged, and the strip works again, for a while. It's not always reliable because there is very little material bridging the gap, and the conductor next to the crack is now a little thinner. For the price, it's still worth a try or two.

An engineering firm in the Netherlands has developed float conversion kits for the GS/GSA., and the RT. At about $355, I'd probably go that route before taking a chance on another BMW strip.

Dave, not pulling your leg. This is a fix that has become well publicized. You use a piziolectric fire starter to zap all 4 pins that connect to the strip next to the fuel tank connector where the fuel pump is. Then Wala !!!

Larry, that is some great information !!! Like Karl, I would love some contact information for that fix. But, until then, i'll just keep repeating as needed to see what happens. Any BMW riders near the Denver area that have the same issue with the fuel strip, I have already created the tool. If you need help, PM me.

Thanks,

Bob

#1002410 - 12/16/17 01:40 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: TestPilot]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by TestPilot
Larry,
Do you have a contact for that firm in the Netherlands?

Ebay sales links to the kits were in the earlier post, click GS or RT as appropriate.
Originally Posted by lkraus
An engineering firm in the Netherlands has developed float conversion kits for the GS/GSA, and the RT.

The firm that developed the kits is HPoskam Engineering. That site is in Dutch, so I recommend using the Chrome browser for an automatic translation.

Through their site, they also offer a less expensive fuel strip emulator, which only turns off the warning light, if you are willing to give up on the fuel gauge.

I've no personal experience with these kits, as (knock on wood) my fuel strip as not yet failed.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by lkraus; 12/16/17 01:50 PM.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1002421 - 12/17/17 01:02 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
RobinW Offline
RobinW  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
There are 2 parts to the strip.
A heater element and a measurement element.
You need a gs -911 to tell you which bit is stuffed.
The ZAP trick may work on the measurement part.
But I doubt it will ever be accurate again.
It will not work at all on the heater element.

07 R1200RT-P
01 530i M-Sport
#1002459 - 12/18/17 12:59 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
I am about to go in for my fifth stip replacement so the comment from lkraus about giving up on the fuel gauge, well, that was done a while ago - it has never reported correctly. Next time the strip goes I either invest in the circuit to stop the yellow triangle and go back to the trip odometer or sell the bike for a reliable one.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#1002492 - 12/19/17 02:14 AM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
rglassma Offline
rglassma  Offline

Instead of the fuel strip emulator, I would just use a piece of electrical tape covering the yellow triangle. Works for me.

#1002508 - 12/19/17 02:39 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Instead of the fuel strip emulator, I would just use a piece of electrical tape covering the yellow triangle. Works for me.

The only drawback to that fix is that the triangle is used to alert you to other conditions that might require your attention, including the "red" conditions like low oil pressure, and lack of alternator output. These conditions do have other LCD indicators, but they do not attract your eye as quickly.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
Page 1 of 2 1 2