BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1002578 - 12/21/17 01:10 AM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
rglassma Offline
rglassma  Offline

Well, I zapped it again yesterday before a ride. It lasted about 5 minutes. The fuel gauge went out again, and the miles to empty dropped quickly down below 100 miles with a full tank.

#1003419 - 01/10/18 08:49 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: lkraus]  
Jimmya Offline
Just Joined
Jimmya  Offline
Just Joined

Ikraus, this is the first I have heard about the float indicator replacement. Probably worth the $375.00+ if this is the last time I would have to mess with the fuel level gauges. The application lists GS, GSA and RT versions of the bikes. Great for my GSA but I also have an ST with a still functioning replacement fuel strip. Would you think the float unit would work in the slightly differently shaped ST tank? The connection is identical but the angle of unit placement is a little different. Curious of your thoughts or anyone else that has any experience with this float replacement.

#1003428 - 01/10/18 10:59 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: Jimmya]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Jimmya
Ikraus, this is the first I have heard about the float indicator replacement. Probably worth the $375.00+ if this is the last time I would have to mess with the fuel level gauges. The application lists GS, GSA and RT versions of the bikes. Great for my GSA but I also have an ST with a still functioning replacement fuel strip. Would you think the float unit would work in the slightly differently shaped ST tank? The connection is identical but the angle of unit placement is a little different. Curious of your thoughts or anyone else that has any experience with this float replacement.

I do not have any experience with the float kits, as my original strip is still working fine.. For your ST, I'd suggest contacting HPoskam at the link posted earlier to see what they think. Looking at the parts fiche, ST tank looks very similar to the RT tank, so it may be that the RT float would work well enough.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1003430 - 01/10/18 11:56 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: Jimmya]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Jimmya

Evening Jimmya

It would very difficult to get a float setup to work through a full (Empty-Full) range on the ST fuel tank. As you can see from the attached picture the ST fuel pump pass through is very low on one extended tank wing. If a float was added to the pump assembly then it would probably only read from about 1/2 tank to empty tank (not a big deal as that is how the BMW 800GS fuel gauge works as those only start reading below 1/2 tank).

By just looking at the tank differences I just don't see how a 1200RT float assembly could work full range in an ST tank.

[Linked Image]

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1003432 - 01/11/18 12:19 AM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: dirtrider]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by dirtrider
....By just looking at the tank differences I just don't see how a 1200RT float assembly could work full range in an ST tank.

Having seen that photo, I'd agree. That tank looks very different from the fiche drawing of the ST tank. I think BMW re-used the RT tank illustration for the ST (would not be the first time).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lkraus; 01/11/18 12:20 AM.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1003483 - 01/11/18 09:02 PM Re: Fuel Strip Repair !? [Re: rglassma]  
Jimmya Offline
Just Joined
Jimmya  Offline
Just Joined

That is just what I thought having replaced the fuel pump voltage regulator unit and taking note of the tank shape. I have the same question in to HPoskam and still waiting for a reply. Thank you dirtrider for posting the ST tank photo. It doesn't look good for a drop-in replacement.

Page 2 of 2 1 2