Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1002455 - 12/18/17 10:08 AM Wethead - sensitivity to tyres  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Generally, I find the handling of the Wethead to be good. But I am using Michelin PR4's and they have about 3500 miles on them. The bike seems to be overly sensitive to white lines, over banding (tar strips), grooves in the road and any other road surface irregularities.
My 1150RT with anything other than worn out tyres or wrong tyre pressures, totally ignores such road surface changes.
So have you Wethead owners experienced similar and if so, have you found a solution because I don't like it much!

#1002456 - 12/18/17 12:05 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
sardineone Offline
sardineone  Offline

Indiana, USA
I experienced at nearly the same mileage a shift towards unsure vague handling with the PR4's and that's on my Hexhead. I had a long relationship with the Pilot Road series until the PR4's. I think your problem is the tyres and not your bike. I recommend a change of tyres. I'm currently happy with my Dunlop Roadsmart 3's BTW.

You are what you have ridden!
-------------------------------------------------
George Martin
R1200ST(ESA equipped)
#1002458 - 12/18/17 12:36 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by AndyS
Generally, I find the handling of the Wethead to be good. But I am using Michelin PR4's and they have about 3500 miles on them. The bike seems to be overly sensitive to white lines, over banding (tar strips), grooves in the road and any other road surface irregularities.
My 1150RT with anything other than worn out tyres or wrong tyre pressures, totally ignores such road surface changes.
So have you Wethead owners experienced similar and if so, have you found a solution because I don't like it much!

Morning Andy

I don't own a wethead but my personal experience with the PR4 on other BMW's is similar to your present situation. Personally I would put the PR4 near the bottom of my list of BMW RT tire choices.

I do push my motorcycle tires pretty darn hard & expect a LOT out of them (probably the reason that I get very poor tire mileage). To me the PR4 just doesn't get the job done for my riding style (or lack there of).

I have a good friend that is a lot more sedate in his motorcycle riding habits & is a more-or-less a fairly upright rider & he just loves the PR4 but he is an early braker & slows way down for curves & corners so he doesn't tax his tires very hard.

If you are pushing that bike hard with heavy late braking & near foot peg touching lean angles at speed then you might need to look at a different tire compound & construction.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002460 - 12/18/17 02:07 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Well DR, I tick some of those boxes for sure, BUT my problems is occurring with the bike upright and at lower speeds. As I mentioned, it seems it is sensitive to road irregularities (Road marking lines, ruts, tar strips, road ironworks etc). However, I am for sure listening to you other riders for tyre experiences.

#1002461 - 12/18/17 02:14 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Andy, be thankful your RT didn't come with the Continentals! They were atrocious just going straight down the road. I think the suspension is a bit more firm on average and may feed back to the rider a bit more than the Oilheads did. I think you will get used to it to some degree. I agree that the PR4 isn't good for some riders. I have run the Bridgestone T-30's and the RoadSmart III tires on the front and both are very good at stable tracking. I would give a nod to the T-30 as the best at not squirming when meeting road irregularities.

#1002462 - 12/18/17 02:22 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
Bodhi65 Offline
Bodhi65  Offline

Long Island, New York
I’ve had similar experiences on 2016 rt and pr4. Going to try Dunlop’s in spring.

He who is not busy being born is busy dying. Bob Dylan
#1002463 - 12/18/17 02:23 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: dirtrider]  
RecentConvert Offline
Newer Member
RecentConvert  Offline
Newer Member

My 2014 RT came with Metzeler Z8 tires. They were very good in the dry until the last 1500 miles or so when they started cupping on both the front and the rear. I guess I was fortunate in having little rain riding on them.

The next set of tires were Metzeler Roadtec 01. These were very smooth, had excellent wet and dry grip and I pushed them hard. The front developed a pronounced center rib which didn't prove a problem until later. The rear really never developed a flat strip and provided excellent traction up to 5500 miles when it suffered a puncture while off roading. This set did like to follow grooves in the pavement and sometimes felt nervous when catching ridges. They also rumbled when leaned over. I think it just a characteristic of the tread pattern. I could also feel paint strip and road irregularities. I like them well enough that I am considering them again.

The puncture occurred 800 miles from home and caused replacement (insurance) of the rear Metzeler with a Dunlop RS III. On dry pavement the Metzeler 01 front paired with a Dunlop RS III rear worked well. The Dunlop certainly has a different feel but was a not issue when dry. A 400 mile trip, two-up, in the rain highlighted the need for a matched pair of tires! The front Metzeler was scrapped for a new Dunlop RS III to match the rear. The mixed pair was twitchy, had different characteristics of traction on wet paint, road grooves and were generally unsettling.

The Dunlops are truly excellent in the dry. They handle better than either set of Metzelers when the road in clean and dry. They don't follow grooves and grip is solid and reliable. They don't rumble (yet - I am told they will) when leaned over. I have 5500 miles on the rear and it looks good for another 2000(?). If the RS III is lacking, it is in the wet. I've not had a single issue with them in the wet, but when it is wet I wish I had the Metzeler 01 on. No slips, no twitches, no close calls, but I don't have the confidence in the RS III in the wet that the Metzelers provided.

I used up two sets of PR4s on my previous bike, an ST1300 Honda. The PR4s gave irregular wear in the front with scalloping/cupping showing up by 3000 miles. I didn't have any problems with them, but really never considered them when I changed bikes. I guess the PR4 didn't leave much of an impression, good or bad for handling. Unlike others, I found them to wear very quickly on the sides when using a lot of brakes and throttle to keep up with the lighter, faster riders in front of me.

#1002464 - 12/18/17 02:28 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
duegatti Offline
Newer Member
duegatti  Offline
Newer Member

Bike came with Z8's. At some point in the middle of its 21,000 miles, I tried PR4's - whatever the version is recommended for the RT. The very first thing I noticed about them was a jarring ride. I also disliked their dynamic behaviour. As usual, they gave me the best mileage. I'm on my third, I think, set of 01's. For me, it's the best package of handling and mileage.

#1002468 - 12/18/17 04:07 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
mileypop Offline
Newer Member
mileypop  Offline
Newer Member

United Kingdom, Leicestershir...
My 14 plate RT came with Conti's as OE. Absolutely terrible, from new they moved all over the place especially overbanding, white lines. Most disconcerting.
Having heard how good PR4's were I went thru 3 sets. Pretty good but cupped a lot on the front.
Tried Dunlop Road SMART III, excellent tyre. Grip as good, if not better than the PR4's in all conditions. I ride all year round, in all weather's 'cept snow.
The 17MY RT I have now had PR4's as OE, onto Road SMART III's again. Can't praise them enough.
As already posted tyres are a very emotive, subject. It's very much a try it & see sort of thing, but can be expensive if you make the wrong choice.

Vini Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Miles
#1002469 - 12/18/17 04:14 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: mileypop]  
sardineone Offline
sardineone  Offline

Indiana, USA
Pretty good but cupped a lot on the front.

In 47,000 miles of riding my BMW the PR4 is the only front tire that I have had a cupping issue even using PR2 & PR3 tires.

You are what you have ridden!
-------------------------------------------------
George Martin
R1200ST(ESA equipped)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4