BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1002522 - 12/19/17 06:12 PM Re: Down and out - Snapped Clutch Cable [Re: McDuugle]  
SAS Offline
SAS  Offline

Western Washington
I had the same, it broke at the lever. The first time it broke was at about 68k. At that point I just figured that it was time that it broke. I replaced the cable then it broke 3k later. At that point I looked at all the parts and found exactly what Tri750 found. I replaced all parts, the special bolt, bushing and lever. The lever was the most money at $77 dollars. Now what BMW did not tell me was that a new clutch handle comes with a bushing, so now I have an extra. So with new cable, handle, and hardware it was around $150.

Last edited by SAS; 12/19/17 06:13 PM. Reason: missing word
#1002529 - 12/19/17 08:02 PM Re: Down and out - Snapped Clutch Cable [Re: McDuugle]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Some years back, Russell Bynum broke his clutch cable on a trip back to CA from TX. By trying his best to avoid red lights and stop signs, and clutchlessly popping it into neutral when he had to stop, then killing the engine and starting the bike in first gear, he was able to shift without the clutch and make his way safely home. In fact, he wrote about it here and mentioned how whenever he had to leave the highway for gas, food or motel, how it became sort of a game to time the traffic lights to his favor.

It can be done and it's not horribly difficult on a long trip. However, if the bike is used as a commuter amid heavy traffic, then that's an entirely different situation.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
Page 2 of 2 1 2