IGNORED

Wiring an aftermarket horn

cris nitro

Evening.

I just installed a Denali Sound Bomb air horn on my 2010 RT. A bit of a pain mounting and working with the short wires to the stock horn, but I got it. It came with a relay which required an input with a 30A fuse connected to the battery. The relay also picked up the original horn trigger positive and negative. Instead of taking the power directly off the battery, I connected it to one of the switched blocks on on Fuze Bloke. It worked well until I started the bike and tried the horn and it blew the 10A fuse in my Fuze Block. Should I connect it directly to the battery per the directions? And if so, with it being direct to the battery, will it draw down any power when not in use?

Thank you and I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas.

I ran positive and negative directly from the battery to the relay and used the original horn wires to trigger the relay on a Stebel Nautilus air horn. Zero battery draw until you actuate the horn button. I think it is a 10A fuse that has never blown.

Frank

I ran positive and negative directly from the battery to the relay and used the original horn wires to trigger the relay on a Stebel Nautilus air horn. Zero battery draw until you actuate the horn button. I think it is a 10A fuse that has never blown.

Frank

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Your horn should have an amp rating listed on it. It could be as high as 15 amps!

When looking at the specification it will be listed as something like Absorbed Current which is used for electric motors. Long and short of it there will be a surge current to spin up the compressor motor which might be closer to 20 Amps and then current draw will settle some and 15 amps is probably about high side right. I used a HEX ezCAN and put the horn on a high current 30 Amp circuit to integrate with strobing the driving lights when the horn is activated. Low cost approach is to use the 30 AMP relay and connect the horn wires to the trigger tabs and the high current side to the battery.

Nice install video here

Evening.

I just installed a Denali Sound Bomb air horn on my 2010 RT. A bit of a pain mounting and working with the short wires to the stock horn, but I got it. It came with a relay which required an input with a 30A fuse connected to the battery. The relay also picked up the original horn trigger positive and negative. Instead of taking the power directly off the battery, I connected it to one of the switched blocks on on Fuze Bloke. It worked well until I started the bike and tried the horn and it blew the 10A fuse in my Fuze Block. Should I connect it directly to the battery per the directions? And if so, with it being direct to the battery, will it draw down any power when not in use?

Thank you and I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas.

Morning Cris

The SoundBomb Compact draws 20 amps, the SoundBomb Split draws 20 amps, the SoundBomb Mini (no pump) draws 5 amps.

Add a little extra for low voltage amp increase & startup so you will need at least a 25 amp & preferred 30 amp power-supply-side circuit (including proper wire size for run length).

If your add-on fuse block has a 30 amp capable tap (doubtful) then you can use that but the safe way is to run the power-supply-side of your horn relay to battery (+ post) & run the horn motor low direct to battery (- post). Just be sure to use a 30 amp fuse in the (+) side circuit.

If you are JUST powering the horn relay horn-power-supply-side direct from battery then it will NOT draw power unless the horn is actually sounding as the relay is OFF (open) until you push the horn button to energize it.

• 2 weeks later...