IGNORED

Replacing low beam headlight?

dcan

Many come up from the bottom and use "the force" to guide them. I've only replaced mine once as that's when I installed HID. :thumbsup: Never a problem after that.

I also have a 15" long hemostat pliers that I can hold the wire retainer with to secure the bulb. This is one of those jobs where it either goes smoothly right away

or it takes you forever. Good luck and " may the force be with you."

My method is to kneel in front of the bike and reach up around / between the forks to the bulb holder.

Use touch to remove the connector cover, and unplug the wires and clip holding in the bulb.

Try to note which way up the bulb is, that you remove.

Then holding the replacement by the spade connectors or metal surround (not the glass)

and ideally wearing thin workshop or latex gloves (to avoid any chance of fingerprints on the glass),

look through the headlamp from the front to guide the bulb home.

Reverse the removal procedure by touch from there on in.

Make sure the bulb is seated correctly or the beam alignment will be way out.

As said above it usually goes smoothly, but once in a while, getting the bulb seated properly is a right PITA.

Mine is a 2008. The mirrors come off in no time. Remove 6 or 8 screws and you have the front panel off.. Easy to reach any bulb.

May want to replace with HID's. Big difference.

I should search in history and not act like a noob but what the heck?

I've installed LED light emitters (bulbs?) in my motorcycles that take H4 9003 bulbs and the outcome as far as focus and beam pattern was good in one and not so good in the other. Can I install similar H7 LEDs in my 07 RT and expect good results? I installed a set of ADVMonster 20s under the mirrors and the brilliant white light makes the stock halogen headlights and position lights look like kerosene lamps.

I've installed LED light emitters (bulbs?) in my motorcycles that take H4 9003 bulbs and the outcome as far as focus and beam pattern was good in one and not so good in the other. Can I install similar H7 LEDs in my 07 RT and expect good results? I installed a set of ADVMonster 20s under the mirrors and the brilliant white light makes the stock halogen headlights and position lights look like kerosene lamps.

Morning Dave

With (non DOT rated) headlight bulbs (especially LED type) you just never know what you will end up with.

If you look closely at OEM (DOT rated) H-7 bulbs you will see the very front of the bulbs painted black (masked out), or some aftermarket (DOT rated) H-7 bulbs will use a gray or white front masking. That is there to take the hot spot out of the frontal light emittance.

The stock headlights on the BMW hexhead 1200RT are designed to have the majority of the emitted light going to the sides & to the rear then the headlight focused lens reflects the light to the correct frontal quadrants.

Most (not all) H-7 LED replacement bulbs just push a lot of bright light out the front in a not very (correctly) focused beam pattern. That is also why most (that I know of anyhow) do-not & cannot be DOT rated for road usage in the U.S (ie illegal bulbs for road use).

Morning Dave

With (non DOT rated) headlight bulbs (especially LED type) you just never know what you will end up with.

If you look closely at OEM (DOT rated) H-7 bulbs you will see the very front of the bulbs painted black (masked out), or some aftermarket (DOT rated) H-7 bulbs will use a gray or white front masking. That is there to take the hot spot out of the frontal light emittance.

The stock headlights on the BMW hexhead 1200RT are designed to have the majority of the emitted light going to the sides & to the rear then the headlight focused lens reflects the light to the correct frontal quadrants.

Most (not all) H-7 LED replacement bulbs just push a lot of bright light out the front in a not very (correctly) focused beam pattern. That is also why most (that I know of anyhow) do-not & cannot be DOT rated for road usage in the U.S (ie illegal bulbs for road use).

It's funny, some new trucks I've seen lately have such bright lights that I can't believe they're legal. On the other hand, everything is legal unless you get caught.

• Like 1