IGNORED

type of thread lock for r1200rt shocks

droptine1968

Hey all. I yanked my shocks and sent them to EPM for a rebuild. I'll be getting them back in around a week. My question is that type of thread lock would you all use to reinstall them. The back and front lower bolts did not have the normal red or blue locktite, but it looks like some type of gray paste type was on the threads. Any suggestions?

Hey all. I yanked my shocks and sent them to EPM for a rebuild. I'll be getting them back in around a week. My question is that type of thread lock would you all use to reinstall them. The back and front lower bolts did not have the normal red or blue locktite, but it looks like some type of gray paste type was on the threads. Any suggestions?

Morning droptine1968

Manual calls for LockTite 243 on threads & Optimoly TA on the bolt heads.

You can use the easier to find LockTite (blue) 242 on the threads if you fully clean the threads first.

You really need the assembly grease on the rear lower bolt head & shank. Optimoly TA is highly recommended but you can use a good waterproof anti-seize grease if you need to. (if the bolt head & shank isn't greased with waterproof grease it can REALLY seize in the swing arm over time).

The front lower bolt is supposed to have micro encapsulation on it but that isn't always good the 2nd or 3rd time so use a little 243 (or 242 blue) on those threads. Also use a little Optimoly TA (or something close) on the bolt head & bolt shank. Then use some 243 (or 242 blue) on the upper shock nut threads.