IGNORED

Re: Brake Fluid

Skywagon

Going to change the Brake fluid on the bike tomorrow. I have a can of fluid that is unopened and 2 years old. Is it ok to use or should I buy new....

Edited by Skywagon
Going to change the Brake fluid on the bike tomorrow. I have a can of fluid that is unopened and 2 years old. Is it ok to use or should I buy new....

Evening David

Tough call-- If a plastic unopened container that still has the seal intact then it will probably be OK. If a metal container then it m-i-g-h-t be OK but personally I wouldn't take a chance.

When it comes to older brake fluid than a good rule of thumb is: If in Doubt, Throw It Out!

Brake fluid is cheap so why even take a chance?

What DR says.

Beware that brake fluid can be extremely damaging to fairing plastics. Cover everything thoroughly. I generally use plastic sheet at the base, then newspapers, which will absorb any spilled fluid.

Thanks guys...yeah my gut was to chunk it too. It is in plastic bottle sealed with foil cover but for less about $10 don't want to risk moisture or sediment in system. I change the fluid every year. I bought two bottles last year because I didn't want to run short. I'll put it in the pile with 2 Gallons of unopened delco antifreeze that is about 10 years old, and some 90-140 wt mobil 1 that is at least 10 years old. The good thing about Houston is we have lots of chemical recycle places that will take just about anything but gasoline.

David, if you have not installed the three speed bleeders, PLEASE order them and install them before you bleed the system! You will give me a big hug when you see me next......

On a side note, I had two gallon ( 5 qt?) jugs of Mobil 1 20-50. Several years old, don't remember how many. Stored in a heated/cooled shop. Opened one the other day and was quite surprised at the color! VERY dark. almost like it was used. Opened the other one, same thing. Sealed containers. This is probably just the detergents and additives discoloring, but both jugs were emptied into the waste oil containers.