BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1002688 - 12/24/17 03:13 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
rickmoen Offline
rickmoen  Offline

Arizona
Hi Hopz,

I feel your pain! Five years ago, I felt my '05 RT was adding a few pounds every year, so I traded for new 2013 F800GT. It was a really great bike! It would give me all of the speeding tickets I wanted and was very nimble. After a few years, it started to put on weight too. I sold the GT and got a used Spyder, hoping my wife would ride more with me. She actually rode less. While the Spyder was fun to ride, it did not provide the two wheel experience I had enjoyed for over 50 years. Maintenance was a nightmare and very expensive. So I sold that and got a used '14 RT. It is the finest bike I've ever owned! At an age of 71, it will probably be my last bike. The slow speed/parking lot maneuvers are more of a challenge than they used to be and one of these days my battle with gravity will defeat my best efforts to stay vertical. That may make my decision easier. Until then, I enjoy each ride more than the last one. Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else what to do, but each of us will have to face that decision someday. We'll know when it is time.

Rick

Rick Moen
2014 R1200RT
#1002689 - 12/24/17 03:35 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
hopz Offline
hopz  Offline

Colorado Springs, CO
Hi guys... several have asked or at least implied the critical question: WHY?

Well I guess it gets complicated. One thing is the crazy people on the roads here in Colorado. Tourists seem to want to go really fast but they don't know where they are going. The locals know where they are going but somehow cannot figure out when to get in what ever lane is best for the next turn. Many of them ride the left lane in order to make a right-turn... seems like the idea if waiting is better then planning... thus that guy texting next to be on the left will surely want to turn right in half-a-block... etc.

That and the riding community lost a good friend in Salt Lake City when he was the victim of a careless driver. RIP Jeff Thurmond.

And my wife has decided to not ride passenger any longer for complex and valid reasons. I love the bike. I love the ride and I feel safe and aware of what's going on around me... I ride my own ride even in a group. Faster than some, slower than some.

I'm just trying to weigh the risks... bones grow weaker over time. Recovery is longer and harder if a fall. etc.

We are in San Francisco at the moment with a family gathering and in the airport I was looking at a three-wheeler... don't know the brand. It might get us back on the road together, and it might add a degree of safety or it might be just an expensive thing in the garage... hard to say.

After riding for over 50 years now... sorta hard to imagine not having a bike...

Thanks your the thoughts... all valued.

<---- (That's not it) 2014 R1200RT-W

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
#1002690 - 12/24/17 04:18 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
sardineone Offline
sardineone  Offline

Indiana, USA
First Seasons Greetings to everybody! wave Interesting discussion as I've been riding 49 years and have had passing thoughts of when I might end my riding days. An ageing body and the more dangerous traffic due to distracted and impaired drivers will be factors to consider in my decision when that day comes. Every time I ride I'll see at least one driver texting and that makes me nervous about stopping for stoplights. Also drugs are getting to be such a problem. For every drug arrest there has to be many not caught and of course they are out on the streets driving impaired. What I've done is to think better and not pleasure ride in town as often (an evening spin for example) to minimize the risk. When I do venture out I have lots of situation awareness of what's going on around me in traffic and avoid the busy traffic times.

On the other side of the equation I have made IMHO smart bike buying decisions. Being a senior citizen riding a behemoth of a motorcycle doesn't make good sense to me. I'd recommend making the right compromises in bike choice and give up some of the extra do dads for a machine that is lighter and definitely less TOP heavy. I love my R1200ST as it's the best bike I've ever owned. It is largely a R1200RT with less wind protection, no cruise control and a smaller gas tank. For what it gives up to the RT it gains in being definitely less top heavy. When it gets to feel like too much to handle there are many lightweight machines that might be a consideration in my future.

You are what you have ridden!
-------------------------------------------------
George Martin
R1200ST(ESA equipped)
#1002693 - 12/24/17 05:17 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Very interesting discussion for sure. But as one poster indicated the decision to quit riding is really personal and one that each of us has to make on his/her own. Riding has always had risks and I fully agree the crazy drivers on the road increase that risk. But heck we never ever know when our number will be called for any of a dozen reasons outside of motorcycling. It sounds like you are still very capable of riding and enjoying your passion but if the risks and fear take that enjoyment away then that is a big consideration. I have demo ridden the Can Am Spyder and as a buddy put it "it is just NOT as much fun as it looks". If I had to go the spyder route I would probably get a Vanderhall or a Corvette and tour with my wife. But at "61" and only 8 months retired I hope to have a good 10 more years riding. I also like the idea of a smaller and lighter ride such as a scooter and there are some really slick scooters out there. And yes I too suffered a great loss when a year ago my riding buddy died right before my eyes (well my mirrors) as a result of the infamous "Harley Death Wobble". He was a young "72" and ironically we were riding through Death Valley! But I know he would not want me to stop riding and his passing was just something I have come to believe was just part of life.

Good luck with your decision!

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1002694 - 12/24/17 05:31 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
BigTup Offline
BigTup  Offline

Ca.
I'm 68, and on my 12th bike. That after taking a 15 year break from riding, I quit for fear of getting hurt. I am totally on my game, but assume I'll get the signal that it's time to give it up at some point. We were on a 10 day ride from California to Vancouver Island earlier this year, and while waiting for the ferry this older guy came up and started talking. Said he knows my bike (r1200rt), it's too top heavy for him, so he rides a Harley look alike. Then he announced that he's 85! He instantly became my inspiration. He was taking the ferry over to Washington to ride the Cascades, spend the night, and ride back the next day. I feel like I'm in a race against the clock to keep going until I get can't go any longer. Next year the Swiss and Italian Alps! The year after The Great Smoke Mountains, then back to California. Good luck on your decision.

I keep thinking about it, but I keep forgetting what I was thinking about!
16 R1200RT
09 R1200RT gone
08 Harley Super Glide gone (and missed!)
80's Honda 900F gone
About 8 Dirt Bikes...Yes, I'm Old.
#1002697 - 12/24/17 07:08 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: BigTup]  
Green RT Offline
Green RT  Offline

Guadalajara, México
I am 72 and on my 6th bike and 60th year riding. I was without a bike for 10 years. I had a job that prohibited motorcycle riding for a couple years and then didn't really need any personal transportation, which is what motorcycles had been for me for most of my life. About a year and half ago, I got another bike even though I still didn't need it. It is mostly used for long trips and sits in a bedroom in between. I also downsized from RTs this time to a naked R, entirely to keep the weight as low as possible. I assume I will quit riding at some point, but I will ride until I can't. As someone has said, you don't quit riding because you get old. You get old because you quit riding. I'm not old yet.

Last edited by Green RT; 12/24/17 07:08 PM.

Will

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped
#1002698 - 12/24/17 07:40 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
Dave_zoom_zoom Online
Dave_zoom_zoom  Online

British Columbia Canada
Hello hopz

Thank you for explaining "WHY".

I'm sure I'm at least as old as you, and likely a lot older. A long time ago my very best friend was killed on a motorcycle. That hurt me so badly it caused me to sell my bike and quit riding for many years. Although I'll never forget that tragedy I've been able to get back to riding once again, while enjoying the time spent doing so. I understand your concerns completely. They of course, very valid. I share those same concerns.

Each of us will most likely have a somewhat different approach in finding the best solution. I will share my approach with you, for whatever it's worth.

I tend to spend my time riding on less populated roads where the risk factor from other drivers is minimized. I still enjoy the challenges of riding faster than some highway signs might suggest and slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle while making every effort to brake and accelerate at the proper points all while hitting the best apex for that curve.

I tried a slower bike with a lower center of gravity, but that just didn't make me happy.

I sincerely wish you all the best in finding what's best for you.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_zoom_zoom; 12/24/17 07:42 PM. Reason: incorrect wordage
#1002705 - 12/24/17 10:55 PM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: Dave_zoom_zoom]  
Green RT Offline
Green RT  Offline

Guadalajara, México
Originally Posted by Dave_zoom_zoom
Hello hopz

I'm sure I'm at least as old as you, and likely a lot older. A long time ago my very best friend was killed on a motorcycle. That hurt me so badly it caused me to sell my bike and quit riding for many years. Although I'll never forget that tragedy I've been able to get back to riding once again, while enjoying the time spent doing so. I understand your concerns completely. They of course, very valid. I share those same concerns.

Each of us will most likely have a somewhat different approach in finding the best solution. I will share my approach with you, for whatever it's worth.

I tend to spend my time riding on less populated roads where the risk factor from other drivers is minimized. I still enjoy the challenges of riding faster than some highway signs might suggest and slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle while making every effort to brake and accelerate at the proper points all while hitting the best apex for that curve.

I tried a slower bike with a lower center of gravity, but that just didn't make me happy.

Dave

I appreciate your zeal for testing your skills against the road: "slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle". However, I wonder how you reconcile that with concerns about unknowns on public roads. Is there sand or a pothole or leaves in the middle of the corner. Will someone coming the other way be half, or all the way, over in my lane. I like riding, enjoy the adrenaline rush of speed and corners and have no desire to live forever, But I still find that the unknowns of corners on public roads keeps me way below testing the limits of either the bike or my skills.

Will

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped
#1002711 - 12/25/17 12:47 AM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: hopz]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
About the three wheeler, was probably a Can Am Spyder. I bought one a few years ago and it's a lot of fun, kind of like riding an ATV or snowmobile on the street. The absence of worrying about foot placement on stops makes for a relaxing ride, especially two up. Will it replace motorcycles for me probably not, but I've been enjoying the Can Am RT. thumbsup

Test ride one and see if you like, it may take a few times to figure them out especially if you have no ATV / Snowmobile experience in your background.

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#1002718 - 12/25/17 07:16 AM Re: Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014 [Re: Green RT]  
Dave_zoom_zoom Online
Dave_zoom_zoom  Online

British Columbia Canada
Originally Posted by Green RT
Originally Posted by Dave_zoom_zoom
Hello hopz

Dave

I appreciate your zeal for testing your skills against the road: "slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle". However, I wonder how you reconcile that with concerns about unknowns on public roads. Is there sand or a pothole or leaves in the middle of the corner. Will someone coming the other way be half, or all the way, over in my lane. I like riding, enjoy the adrenaline rush of speed and corners and have no desire to live forever, But I still find that the unknowns of corners on public roads keeps me way below testing the limits of either the bike or my skills.

Hello Green RT

I appreciate your concerns!

I'm blessed to live in an area that is a short distance from several roads with some great curves with open views. The cambers of the roads are mostly as they should be. When I'm ridding out on these roads it is in a more reserved manner while I scout road conditions. Coming back on the same road I'm normally able to turn up the wick a bit.

This is not road racing! While on public roads I very much believe in safety for both myself and others using our roads. Choosing a late apex is important to deal with unseen road conditions and / or oncoming traffic. I'm always respectful and friendly to others that share the road. Never placing others in a compromising situation and a friendly wave to all.

However, to me it's almost never about ridding in slow motion on long straight roads. I love the curves and enjoy doing them rather quickly without placing myself nor others in a bad position. Of course on roads I've not recently traveled the wick has to be turned down a bit. I've been blessed with over 40 years of "no accident" ridding and hope to have many more in the future.

Happy Trails
Dave

Last edited by Dave_zoom_zoom; 12/25/17 08:00 AM. Reason: changed wording
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6