IGNORED

More Harley news

Bud

Seems difficult for first time motorcyclists to drop $11k on a brand new entry level Harley these days.

"Among the newest models, a 2018 Softail Slim starts at $15,899 and a 2018 Sportster Forty-Eight at $11,299."

I know a few women who WANT to ride a harley, but they don't want to PAY for a Harley. A standard cruiser or even a cheaper adventure bike looks better to them.

My local MSFC is only $240. According to the article, even Harley's Dealership learn-to-ride training is overpriced.

"The price of the class varies by dealership but it's generally about $300."

Sounds like they don't understand their customer's price points.

Edited by NickInSac

I posted over on BMWMOA a detailed review of the HD course I took three weeks ago. I called and hemmed and hawed about the price. They immediately, and without me asking, dropped it to $99, no strings attached, no hard-sell, no guilt-trip afterwards. I'd never in a million years buy a HD but, if one stupidly lets one's motorcycle endorsement lapse, this can be a great deal if one simply pushes back a little.

Ironically, (maybe), i just found this Millenial's view of motorcycling from motorcyclistonline.com

The short answer is, the may want a cheap little commuter MC. They may want better parking, and a tax credit on the super fuel efficient MC that Hybrid driver's get that takes more gas than a MC.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/im-millennial-and-i-ride-motorcycles?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a45081e3ed3f0000712ca79&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook#page-3

One major issue the Softtails and Touring line have is that they are very overweight. Seven hundred to over nine hundred for the larger touring models do not make for bikes many want to wrestle with. The low seat height gets quite a few to try them out but the weight and pricing sends them away almost as fast.

One major issue the Softtails and Touring line have is that they are very overweight. Seven hundred to over nine hundred for the larger touring models do not make for bikes many want to wrestle with. The low seat height gets quite a few to try them out but the weight and pricing sends them away almost as fast.

While I agree that Harley builds heavy motorcycles, I'd like to see the data that supports that the weight of their motorcycles is costing them sales. Indian sales are up around 15 percent and they are just as heavy as Harleys.

I would propose that riders who are interested in cruisers in general could care less what the motorcycle weighs. I would agree that Harley scares potential riders away with the cost of their motorcycles. I've owned a bunch of Harleys and have never had someone say that they wanted a Harley but it was too heavy. I've had plenty of riders on metric cruisers say that the would like a Harley but it costs too much. I suspect that most folks interested in the weight of a motorcycle are not drawn to the traditional cruisers or touring bikes.

I've had plenty of riders on metric cruisers say that the would like a Harley but it costs too much. I suspect that most folks interested in the weight of a motorcycle are not drawn to the traditional cruisers or touring bikes.

I was going along the lines of women riders, many coming from pillion positions to wanting their own bike may be put off by the ridiculous weight. My beef with HD and one reason I left after only two was reliability and the cheapskate attitude of not putting evap canisters on all bikes but on CARB bikes meaning it always smelled like gasoline. Giving the choice between six hundred that most BMWs rarely exceed and the mid 700s to 800s where M8s HDs are, well I know which are safer and better handling.

Seems difficult for first time motorcyclists to drop $11k on a brand new entry level Harley these days.

"Among the newest models, a 2018 Softail Slim starts at $15,899 and a 2018 Sportster Forty-Eight at $11,299."

I know a few women who WANT to ride a harley, but they don't want to PAY for a Harley. A standard cruiser or even a cheaper adventure bike looks better to them.

My local MSFC is only $240. According to the article, even Harley's Dealership learn-to-ride training is overpriced.

Those women could pick up a very gently used HD for a lot less money if they really want a Harley. Such bikes are easy to find.

Those women could pick up a very gently used HD for a lot less money if they really want a Harley. Such bikes are easy to find.

Still around $10k here in Cali...

They could buy a new little adventure bike for that.

Edited by NickInSac

The new 310 is supposed to weigh in around 350 lbs and sell around 5K new. I know Paul and Voni Glaves have two ordered at the dealer in KC. If you don't know them, they are riders. Voni has over 1,000,000 miles on BMW's.

Still around $10k here in Cali...

They could buy a new little adventure bike for that.

Everything is pricey in CA