IGNORED

02 1150RT Fairing Screws

gmarktbone

Greetings,

I have finally lost or broken about 1/3 of my fairing screws, and I need some new ones. 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have a good source for these that is not that expensive. I've tried ebay, but I'm not convinced.

2. Does anyone know if there is a chart that tells which sizes go in which slots? I normally tape them to the fairing as I go, but didn't do that this time because I was going to have the dealer put them back on, and that didn't work well either.

Thanks for the help.

McMaster Carr is a good source of all kinds of fasteners. They also have quick and affordable shipping costs. There are only two lengths of screws of the R1150RT for the fairing side panels. They are basically the short one for everything except the food pedal plates. I can't recall if the one behind the mirror is a long one or a short one. On my bike that's where the black screws go and all of the others are silver. The R1150RT does not use the real long screws behind the mirros like the R1100RT does.

Mark,

I had the same need for my bike. I stopped in at the 'local' dealer, Keary's BMW in Cork, Ireland. They had the screw and location details, wanted full payment before they would order in a set. When I explained that I only needed a few he walked to the back and grabbed a half dozen, handed them to me...NO CHARGE.

I'll have a look at the rep rom to see if there is a location chart there.

Regards,

Rick

Mark,

The repair disk has 2 drawings of the fairings and screws (pages 46.5 & 46.8), they only show quantities of similar screws in specific areas (ie: 3 x screw, with lines pointing to holes), but it doesn't give any dimensional info for the screw diameters / lengths. I'm guessing the (dealer) parts disk has a bit more information.

Rick

I bought a kit from eBay. The hex was a different size (4mm instead of 3mm I think), but other than that, they worked fine. I just needed a couple I was missing. You might check boltdepot.com, they carry a lot of fasteners too.

Scott

I have a drawing of the screw sizes and locations but I'm not able to post it. I can email it to someone if they have the means to post it.

Bert Remington

I recommend DesmoParts on eBay for a full kit of stainless steel screws for the fairing and other items. Zenko is okay but limited to fairing screws only.

I recommend DesmoParts on eBay for a full kit of stainless steel screws for the fairing and other items. Zenko is okay but limited to fairing screws only.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked them out. What I noticed is that all the kits I found on ebay had screws with flat tips. I like the pointy ends on my OEM screws. Any thoughts on where to find those pointy screws? Other than BMW?

+1 on the DesmoParts kit. I used this on my RT it has everything you will need.LINK

Step up to a grinder with a flat-ended screw being held in a pair of nuts and a big vise grip. Use a hex key (or whatever) to keep the screw from rotating as you grind the taper to your heart's content. Polish the taper with a wire wheel. The taper is important to draw things together without crossthreading.

Bert Remington

Cap -- I had a mixture of "pointy" and regular fairing screws, some with Torx heads. I carefully sorted them out. I use DesmoParts' regular screws for the easy locations (eg, around exhaust pipes) and the pointy screws for the difficult locations (eg, top of gas tank). I ain't that talented with a grinder to make pointy ends. :)

Try the nut/visegrip/grinder with a hex (or whatever) key trick to control its rotation. It is really quick and easy, but it does require a fixed grinding wheel, and not a portable one.

Lincoln_Faller

I was wondering why there was all this talk about grinding points onto aftermarket screws for fairings, which seems like a lot of trouble to go to, when the screws are still available from BMW. Then I checked the price: $3.97 each! Incredible. Didn't know how lucky I was when a couple extra showed up after my last servicing. But that wasn't from a dealer.

• 3 years later...