BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1003005 - 12/31/17 11:16 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: Living the Dream]  
ESokoloff Offline
MR. Sweet Pea
ESokoloff  Offline
MR. Sweet Pea

SoCal
Originally Posted by Living the Dream

zactly,...as I said, I'm not a code follower and in this application, the rarity of use would allow, to me, for the mitigation of any risks involved. If the switch blew, I'd get a new one, if anything further happened, I'm well insured wink

Have you ever placed a claim on your homeowners insurance?

I have & there was a very thorough investigation into the cause of the incident including the confiscation of the item that caused it.
Fortinitly I was not at fault & the claim was paid.

Insurance company’s don’t stay in business handing out money that they don’t have to.

Eric

============

GM267

PM31613
#1003006 - 01/01/18 12:51 AM Re: Air compressor question [Re: BeemerBerg]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Thanks Eric for the explanation. I'm still not sure if you answered my question as to how that 2 HP compressor can work with a 20 amp wall switch but won't work with a 20 amp timer. The compressor has the same LRA plugged into a wall outlet as it would plugged into a timer. I must be missing something.

I have a woodworking shop in my basement. I know that when I start up my table saw, 120V, that it takes a while to come up to speed. For some reason, I thought there were some capacitors involved somewhere along the line that helped with the starting load, but I may be mistaken. I know my geothermal system is 220 V. 11 degrees now with wind chill of -11. Resistance backup has not come on yet so I guess the system was properly sized. There are three 750 loops in our buried in our back yard. When I spoke to the dealer, I told him I wanted the system to be able to bring the house temp down to 60 degrees when it was 100 degrees outside. We have a very well insulated house which helps a lot. I've never turned it down to 60 in the summer time, but it is usually set for 72.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1003007 - 01/01/18 01:13 AM Re: Air compressor question [Re: ESokoloff]  
Living the Dream Offline
Living the Dream  Offline

Walnut Cove, North Carolina
Originally Posted by ESokoloff

zactly,...as I said, I'm not a code follower and in this application, the rarity of use would allow, to me, for the mitigation of any risks involved. If the switch blew, I'd get a new one, if anything further happened, I'm well insured wink

Have you ever placed a claim on your homeowners insurance?

I have & there was a very thorough investigation into the cause of the incident including the confiscation of the item that caused it.
Fortinitly I was not at fault & the claim was paid.

Insurance company’s don’t stay in business handing out money that they don’t have to.

Yep, and I had no issues getting it paid. Two claims on the house, one from a leak over a year after an upstairs bathroom gut job. The other was clearly my fault, but they paid anyway (ran the jeep through the wall, garage to living room), homeowers paid for the repair to the house, auto claim was cancelled by us because no damage to the jeep.

Richard
Laborare pugnare paratus sum
2014 HP4
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7
#1003013 - 01/01/18 03:43 AM Re: Air compressor question [Re: Bud]  
ESokoloff Offline
MR. Sweet Pea
ESokoloff  Offline
MR. Sweet Pea

SoCal
Originally Posted by Bud
Thanks Eric for the explanation. I'm still not sure if you answered my question as to how that 2 HP compressor can work with a 20 amp wall switch but won't work with a 20 amp timer. The compressor has the same LRA plugged into a wall outlet as it would plugged into a timer. I must be missing something.

What your missing is that a switch rated @ 20amps @ 120v Resistive load is only rated for 1hp@120v Motor load.
If you want to switch a 2hp@120v Motor, the switch you need will be Resistaint Load rated @ 30amps@120v.

In other words you can not switch a 2hp @ 120v motor with a switch only resistive load rated @ 20a@120v. Such a switch doesn’t/can’t exist.

Originally Posted by Bud

I have a woodworking shop in my basement. I know that when I start up my table saw, 120V, that it takes a while to come up to speed. For some reason, I thought there were some capacitors involved somewhere along the line that helped with the starting load, but I may be mistaken.

All single phase AC motors need a way to create an electrical imbalance in the winding(s) in order to cause the rotor to start to turn.
Likely your motor is a CSCR (Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run [look for two humps/capacitors]) or CSIR (Capacitor Start, Induction Run[Only one hump]).

Originally Posted by Bud
I know my geothermal system is 220 V. 11 degrees now with wind chill of -11. Resistance backup has not come on yet so I guess the system was properly sized. There are three 750 loops in our buried in our back yard. When I spoke to the dealer, I told him I wanted the system to be able to bring the house temp down to 60 degrees when it was 100 degrees outside. We have a very well insulated house which helps a lot. I've never turned it down to 60 in the summer time, but it is usually set for 72.

For the most part inanimate objects aren’t effected by wind chill/heat once they are at the same temperature as the ambient.
Furthermore Geothermal systems don’t feel the ambient (air temperature) as the outdoor heat exchanger is generally located in a region that maintains a fairly constraint temperature year round.

72°?????!!!!
I’m MUCH to cheep for that dopeslap
77° is about the lowest I’ll go in in the Simmer time (but perhaps the humidity is not as bad here?).

Last edited by ESokoloff; 01/01/18 03:47 AM.

Eric

============

GM267

PM31613
#1003019 - 01/01/18 01:29 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: BeemerBerg]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
I'm wondering the rating of the switch on the HB compressor? From you explanation it would have to be a 30 amp Resistive load switch.

June, July and August are HHH. Hot, Hazy and Humid. My friend in Punta Gorda often pokes fun at me when we are at 95/95 temp/humidity and they are cooler and much less humid.

I have developed adult onset asthma which is triggered by exercise. I try not to be outside a lot in the summer unless on the bike.

Was Simmer time a pun or a typo. I think it is a great term for summer. grin

Riding season in the midwurst is a few weeks away, but I'm getting the itch for one more long ride. A few years back I rode to Nova Scotia, over three weeks of fun. Last year I told Nancy and most likely didn't have one more trip in me, but as I'm starting to return to feeling better, a trip out west or maybe to the Icefield Parkway seems to be attracting me in that direction. Other than a trip to Redmond for a MOA rally, I've not ridden in the PNW and never ridden in N. California so there is a lot from which to choose.

The house is currently 72, outside -1, wind chill -11. When you come in the house it feels warm. In the summer, when you come into the house, still set at 72, it feels cold. Nancy would love it warmer in the simmer.

Hope you are getting a chance to enjoy your balmy weather in sunny S Cal. I've been amusing my self with reading ride reports on ADV.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1003057 - 01/02/18 01:37 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: Bud]  
ESokoloff Offline
MR. Sweet Pea
ESokoloff  Offline
MR. Sweet Pea

SoCal
No typo, just the truth.
Simmer kicks in after June Gloom (coastal fog) usualy by the first part of July.
Then comes Augggst followed by Sweatember & then sometime in October it's still warm by day but the nights cool off.
Novemburrrr is the start of the long awaited cool off.
We don't get much annual precipitation (12") as it's a desert.
For the most part run-off is not collected/stored so precipitation is of little benefit other then to reduce irrigation.
We steal.... um obtain our water from other areas.

I worked yesterday (@2.5xpay) and on my commute home along PCH I was reminded of how fortunate I am as the road was extra busy with many vehicals with out of state license plates.
Here were people spending their hard earned dollars just for the opertunity to share my commute tongue
I took a side road up & over the hill (Santa Monica mountains) thus avoiding the worst of it (downtown Malibu).

Many fabulous roads to ride out this way but SoCal has a lot of shorter but more technical routes were as Central & NorCal will tend to have longer meandering routes (less development).

It's been dryer then a popcorn fart thus far here.
Yesterday (early AM) was the first sighting of dew (headlight reflecting off the sides of vehicles).
December & January are the coldest.
A few weeks back my TPM system indicated 27° on my morning commute.
That's almost too cold to be riding my non-faired duel purpuse Zero.
The wettest months are February & March.
I'm a year round rider so I'm not looking forward to that time.

-11°?
At work we have a walk-in freezer that will do that.
What's the big deal??? dopeslap

Eric

============

GM267

PM31613
#1003085 - 01/02/18 07:23 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: ESokoloff]  
Living the Dream Offline

-11°?
At work we have a walk-in freezer that will do that.
What's the big deal??? dopeslap

That's what I say, commute this morning for the hour ride to work was 7*,.......I sure do get the crazy-eyed looks during my inclement weather rides.

Richard
2014 HP4
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7
#1003117 - 01/03/18 12:51 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: Living the Dream]  
ESokoloff Offline
MR. Sweet Pea
ESokoloff  Offline
MR. Sweet Pea

SoCal
inclement weather

What is this "inclement weather" of which you speak?

Eric

============

GM267

PM31613
#1003130 - 01/03/18 04:17 PM Re: Air compressor question [Re: ESokoloff]  
Living the Dream Offline

inclement weather

What is this "inclement weather" of which you speak?

Just a chilly ride in,....no biggie!! Today was 2.5 times warmer for the morning commute at 20* wink

Richard
2014 HP4
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3