IGNORED

What's on your riding calendar for 2018?

Riding season in the midwurst is a few weeks away, but I'm getting the itch for one more long ride. A few years back I rode to Nova Scotia, over three weeks of fun. Last year I told Nancy and most likely didn't have one more trip in me, but as I'm starting to return to feeling better, a trip out west or maybe to the Icefield Parkway seems to be attracting me in that direction. Other than a trip to Redmond for a MOA rally, I've not ridden in the PNW and never ridden in N. California so there is a lot from which to choose.

I keep a list of potential rallies and events on the calendar. Last year I made it to FART. Hopefully this year will not be a repeat.

What places have you always wanted to experience on a bike but, for one reason or another, haven't made it?

(PS to Mod, if this isn't the correct forum, please move. Thanks.)

Shipping to San Diego (late May) and riding back to MA. Will do a deep south route. Set out to do this two years back, but the Texas floods dictated otherwise. Had to take a more central USA route. I just love starting on one coast and working my way back to the other coast. This past September, I was ready to set sail for a trip- either northern FL or Nova Scotia. Last minute decision had me headed to FL and back...no regrets, but Nova Scotia is definitely on my list. The ride to Nova Scotia is only a one day trip. Soon enough.

Normally I try to get in a New Years Day ride, but not this year. 17° at dawn, 29° at this moment. If it gets above 32° today, I may still give it a try.

At the moment, I'm enjoying sitting in front of a fireplace.

Normally I try to get in a New Years Day ride, but not this year. 17° at dawn, 29° at this moment. If it gets above 32° today, I may still give it a try.

I like to do that when I can, so if the bike starts I'll be going out later today. Of course, it's a balmy, sunny 35, and I'm not saying I'll be out for long.... ;)

Bud - PEI and the northeast of Canada sounds like a great ride, but if you do head NW instead of NE, we'd be happy to see you (if we're still here!).

I'm going to try and make spring Torrey, so that I Cam finally meet some of you. Maybe a February or March trip to Big Bend NP, a few Arkansas weekends, and I'm going to shoot for a fall New England trip.

Doug

I like to do that when I can, so if the bike starts I'll be going out later today. Of course, it's a balmy, sunny 35, and I'm not saying I'll be out for long.... ;)

Bud - PEI and the northeast of Canada sounds like a great ride, but if you do head NW instead of NE, we'd be happy to see you (if we're still here!).

I'm sure you will be somewhere by then. :grin::wave:

The Un is pretty much for sure. We have started planning for Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere - likely Arcata or Ft. Bragg this year... and well who knows.

I think you must be confused. Dead Center In the Middle of No Where is here:

14geographiccenter5.JPG:grin:

Will you decide to go there, I will meet you. :wave:

Edited by Bud
Lone_RT_rider
Ireland, Scotland and not sure where else. Probably for the month of may.

The last time I was in the Highlands of Scotland it was by tour bus. Marty, enjoy every minute of that trip. All the time I was on that bus, I kept looking at the roads and the scenery and hoping one day I would be able to tour them again on a bike.

Safe travels sir. :)

Shawn

I was thinking about Colorado again, (but who doesn't :grin: ) maybe not this year though. Mount Washington is having an ATV only day on June 30th. I'm going to try and get in on that followed by three days of camping & ATV riding up near Berlin NH. After that (middle July) maybe a redo of the Northeast Adventure Ride I took a few years ago.

Pat

Cedar Key, START, a tour thru Austria, Slovenia and Croatia in June. That is as far out as I can plan although there may be a trip to CO in late July.

4/15/2018 Barber track day

START

5/27/2018 Road Atlanta Track day

6/30/2018 NCM track day (one of my favorite tracks)

7/8/2018 Road Atlanta Track day

UnRally

8/5/2018 Road Atlanta Track day

9/2/2018 Barber track day

and try to once a month hit the GA mountains fire roads.

Shipping to San Diego (late May) and riding back to MA. Will do a deep south route. Set out to do this two years back, but the Texas floods dictated otherwise. Had to take a more central USA route. I just love starting on one coast and working my way back to the other coast. This past September, I was ready to set sail for a trip- either northern FL or Nova Scotia. Last minute decision had me headed to FL and back...no regrets, but Nova Scotia is definitely on my list. The ride to Nova Scotia is only a one day trip. Soon enough.

Count me in.... I'm jonesing to do Nova Scotia

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in.... I'm jonesing to do Nova Scotia

Give me a couple days notice and I'll ride to Nova Scotia with you. My Dad was stationed there early in his Air Force career so it has always intrigued me.

For my calendar I have room reservations at START and the UNRally.

I'd like to make it to Utah in May for the Spring Torrey. I'd also like to spend a couple weeks in Colorado this summer, God Willin and the creek don't rise!

I would also like to make it to Austin a few times to ride with them to eat breakfast and BBQ.

Big Bend TX - March

START in NC - as a newbie - April

Pie Town Pie Festival in NM followed by / Moab, UT - September

106171370.jpg

106171397.jpg

• 1 month later...

START in April. Americade in early June, and will use that as a springboard for a ride through the New England states and Madawaska ME, for leg 1 of a 4-corners tour. I will not do each leg all at once, but plan to break them into three parts and hit all the lower 48 in that I haven't ridden in the process. Later this year will do leg 2 to Key West, and then leg 3 to Blaine, WA and San Ysidro, CA in the fall.

I keep a list of potential rallies and events on the calendar. Last year I made it to FART. Hopefully this year will not be a repeat.

Did we treat you that badly or do you mean how the Blairsville Witch worked her MoJo on your new bike up on 68? It was great to see you in Blairsville!

After April's START in Blowing Rock, I'll hop on out to CA in June and park the bike at a buddies and fly home. Then fly back out in July and join the Clean Living Hoosiersâ„¢ on their rented bikes for a ride up North into WA. I'll then branch off and meander on over to the UN, where Mrs. WTA is threatening to join the excitement. By September, I should be ready for a Big FART in DILLARD, GA.

Lots of great sounding rides are on the horizon for so many of you; I can feel the excitement from my 'lonely corner room'

I grew up in Muncie, IN - a town dubbed 'Middletown, USA' for its supposed representation of the average American small city and the sociological studies a husband and wife team did, resulting in their published books The Middletown Studies in 1929 and 1937. At any rate, as a high schooler when this song was released, I found a significance that reached my youthful energy, immortality and unlimited dreams. Older, now, I find it still resonates deeply - although in a different sense.

Middletown Dreams

The office door closed early

The hidden bottle came out

The salesman turned to close the blinds

A little slow now, a little stout

But he's still heading down those tracks

Any day now for sure

Another day as drab as today

Is more than a man can endure

Dreams flow across the heartland

Feeding on the fires

Dreams transport desires

Drive you when you're down —

Dreams transport the ones

Who need to get out of town

The boy walks with his best friend

Through the fields of early May

They walk awhile in silence

One close — one far away

But he'd be climbing on that bus

Just him and his guitar

To blaze across the heavens

Like a brilliant shooting star

The middle-aged madonna

Calls her neighbor on the phone

Day by day the seasons pass

And leave her life alone

But she'll go walking out that door

On some bright afternoon

To go and paint big cities

From a lonely attic room

It's understood

By every single person

Who'd be elsewhere if they could

So far so good

And life's not unpleasant

In their little neighborhood

They dream in Middletown…

Neil Peart (Rush)

So glad so many are planning to get out of Middletown this season.

Edited by Indy Dave
Riding season in the midwurst is a few weeks away, but I'm getting the itch for one more long ride. A few years back I rode to Nova Scotia, over three weeks of fun. Last year I told Nancy and most likely didn't have one more trip in me, but as I'm starting to return to feeling better, a trip out west or maybe to the Icefield Parkway seems to be attracting me in that direction. Other than a trip to Redmond for a MOA rally, I've not ridden in the PNW and never ridden in N. California so there is a lot from which to choose.

What places have you always wanted to experience on a bike but, for one reason or another, haven't made it?

(PS to Mod, if this isn't the correct forum, please move. Thanks.)

Well how do you make God laugh? Make plans.

Outside chance of START. :grin: No chance of UN or my big ride out West. :dopeslap: Maybe be released in time to FART? :whistle:

Well how do you make God laugh? Make plans.

Outside chance of START. :grin: No chance of UN or my big ride out West. :dopeslap: Maybe be released in time to FART? :whistle:

Bud, Happy you started this thread and to see so many have ambitious trips planned this year. It brings me great joy to read and dream about these adventures.

As you point out above, we do need to be flexible! The past six month's have included the death of my father and other health challenges for family members that have required almost full time attention on my part. Since attending FART '17, I have been on the bike just twice for very short local rides. I still plan to attend START and the UN this year unless things completely fall apart on my home front. :thumbsup:

Spain and New Zealand are on my bucket list. I'd really like to go back to Nova Scotia and see most of it I missed the first time because it rained buckets for the 3 days in August I was there.

To Denver with my brother for this:

IMG_7500-L.jpg

Then meander up to Mount Rushmore, over to the Custer Battlefield and a diagonal route through Montana and into Alberta. As much as I've traveled through BC and Alberta, I've never seen Moraine Lake. After that, we'll make our way to the Pacific Coast and ride our way home from there. One concern for this trip is it's in late June / early July; prime time for families with school aged children. Hopefully, finding motel rooms won't be too big of an issue.

Big Bend

START

Torrey

Yellowstone

UN...Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Needles Highway

Lots of Colorado rides

Torrey

Maybe FART if it is not too close to Torrey

And one more yet to be determined.

• 2 months later...
Rob Nowell

I will leave Southern California July 16, tentatively (possibly a few days earlier), head up 395, to Boise, then up the mountain highways and forest biways to Interstate 90. After a few days near Missoula, MT, I'll head up into Canada and ride from the North end of Jasper National Park through Banff and back to Missoula for a few days. Sometime around July 30, I will head south via the Sawtooth National Recreation Area in Idaho, which is a road rider's wet dream (I did it first in 2016). I will camp most of the spots in this nearly three-week voyage, and would love to have some company. (I'm a teacher, Native Montanan, 58-year-old, married father of three (plus one unbelievably cute 4-yr-old granddaughter whom I don't brag about very much.)

There are much better routes to Missoula. One is to head east out of Burns or John Day and head east to Ontario, OR. Cross the river into Idaho and get on 52 to Emmett and Horse Shoe Bend. North on ID 55 for a few miles and take the road to Lowman, Stanley, Chaliis, Salmon, and over the divide to Missoula.

Alternatively, once you cross the river into ID you can turn N on 95 to Grangeville and hook a right and go over Lolo Pass into Missoula.

Rob Nowell

You're right, Red, those are good routes. I go to Montana every summer (family there), and have hit the roads you mention. I am NOT a fan of Eastern Oregon, though. Western Oregon is tolerable because of the greenery, but the 55 mph speed limit sucks!

The Salmon, ID, road you mention is US 93, which is how I will return to So Cal. From Missoula to Hamilton to Salmon to Challis, then to Hwy 75 for the Sawtooth. I love that road. I haven't been on Hwy 12 across Lolo Pass since the big fire back in 2013 (?), but I rode it in '12. Gotta love the Lochsa!

• 1 month later...

Heading to Oregon to visit friends next week. Going through Wellington NV first to visit a friend. Heading up 395 to OR-140 from there and then to the coast. Not sure of the duration...a week I think.

Part 1 of my 3 part ride out West n' Back is in the books.

I gotta say, Angeles Crest Highway should be on YOUR Bucket list! Spectacular and seemingly never ending. A ride report will be forth coming, during the meanwhile.... Here's a few of a growing list of videos from the trip.

Part 2 will commence in early July riding to Portland with The Clean Living Hoosiersâ„¢ . Then on to the UN. :bike:

Hope to see you all there!

Great video Dave. I rode there 15 years ago with about the same level of traffic and it was just weird feeling, like flying along in a weird sci-fi movie.

Great video Dave. I rode there 15 years ago with about the same level of traffic and it was just weird feeling, like flying along in a weird sci-fi movie.

Yes . . This was a Monday and I have no complaints about the traffic! It was fascinating, round one curve and see a mountain rising up all lush and green. A few curves later, round another one and a rather dry and barren mountain fills your view. Either one sure beats what we serve up here in Indiana!

We'll leave Southern California (Los Angeles County, North) and head up 395 to Reno. Then I-80 to Winnemuca, NV; US 95 North toward Boise, ID, and Idaho 21 to Lowman, ID for camping on the Payette River. Banks-Lowman Road West will get us to ID 55 North, to McCall and over to US 95 again, on up to Coeur d' Alene. Family time there and in Missoula, MT, precedes the trip into Canada to the Northern end of Jasper National Park. We'll ride down through that and Banff National Park, down US 95 and back to Missoula. Our home trek will take us through the Sawtooth National Recreation Area on ID 75 (I enjoyed this part so much two years ago, I just have to do it again!) From Sun Valley, we'll probably just take the quickest route back to So Cal. Ask me if I'm anxious. This trip was planned for LAST summer, but got postponed due to my shoulder surgery. July 16 can NOT get here too soon!!! Have a look! https://goo.gl/maps/WJLTaN2aLbC2

Edited by Rob Nowell

So far this year I've done START, Americade, Laconia and a few longer local rides. I'm halfway to mileage goal with a newly added trip to Maine coming and a long weekend in PA also on the calendar.

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving this Thursday, July 12th, for an escape in the Oregon direction. No plans, no accommodations, no preconceptions. The shackles of work ate being flung aside just long enough to search for my sanity and a good beer or two.