Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1002470 - 12/18/17 04:36 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
T-88 Offline
Newer Member
T-88  Offline
Newer Member

Alberta
Andy,

Allow me to digress slightly from your tire question.

Is your Michelin PR4-equipped RT a new-to-you bike? What bike did ride before the RT?

The reason why I ask is some of the handling characteristics MAY be attributable to the relatively faster handling characteristics of the currennt generation of RTs compared to the previous generation.

I had the opportunity to swap bikes with a buddy with a camhead RT and noticed the last gen bike had slightly slower and heavier steering compared to the lighter, quicker steering of my '14 RT. On the long, straight roads we have in Alberta, I actually preferred the better straight line stability of the last gen RT over my current gen. Of course, when we get to the twisties, the current gen's faster steering is preferred.

Returning to your original Michelin PR4 question, my '14 RT came with Michelin PR4 GTs, and I liked them a lot. I did not notice over sensitivity to painted lines or following grooves, and I really liked their wet weather performance.

At 28,000 km, I switched over to Dunlop Roadsmart 3s, and immediately noticed they felt 'different' than the PR4s. The superb straight line stability the PR4s exhibited that I loved was lost. The Roadsmart 3s are 'quicker', faster handling, so much so I returned to the shop the next day complaining they felt 'twitchy'. I have gotten used to the Dunlops' different feel and am now ok with them.

Other questions to help your diagnosis: Did you buy the bike new? How many mikes/km on the bike? Has it ever been crashed?

Final note: There are 4 current gen RTs in my riding group. All are higher mileage riders averaging some 20,000 km per year. All have used PR4 GTs.
None have experienced the characteristics you have listed.

Good luck.

Tim

#1002474 - 12/18/17 06:20 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Hi Tim.
I have an 1150RT which I also use regularly. I have clocked over 126000 miles on it. It handles delightfully. I
I will soon be taking out a few more Wetheads to see how they handle on similar road surfaces that I am having issues with, so I shall feed back more then.
The Wethead may well have a quicker steering geometry, but It shouldn't be displaying this behavior.
Feel free to keep the comments coming.

#1002475 - 12/18/17 06:54 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
Skywagon Offline
Skywagon  Offline

Bellaire Texas
As Terry said the Continental's that came new were down right dangerous. They wandered all over the road and slid a lot. I'm on my second set of PR4 GT's. I have no issues with them at all. Andy you have the stiffer GT's or just regular PR4's. Supposedly the PR5's are coming out soon. When my PR 4 GT's wear out I would definitely buy them again.....or the PR 5's when they are available. As far as DR's question about how hard do you ride...I don't ride consistently hard, but do tend to drive above the 85mph speed limit here in Texas. When I do ride hard they are more tire than I am rider. The continentals that came on it were sliding out like my old Bultaco on a dirt track. There must be something about the combination of your roads and the tire. I seriously doubt it's your bike.

Last edited by Skywagon; 12/18/17 06:56 PM.

David
RT WET
#1002493 - 12/19/17 02:15 AM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Wow .... reading this I am very happy I switched to Roadsmarts in the fall! Only have about 500 miles on them but am expecting good things.

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1002732 - 12/25/17 06:25 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod

#1002770 - 12/27/17 03:44 AM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
BigTup Offline
BigTup  Offline

Ca.
This discussion is filled with the unknowns of each riders point of reference. Is it the tires, the quick handling of the bike, your riding style, or how sensitive you are to the dynamics of riding? Anyway, my 2016RT came with Metzler Z8's. I felt glued to the ground, but they were noisy, so I bought Pirelli Angle Gt's. At first I felt a very big difference, they were 'lighter on their feet', and I missed the feeling of the Metzlers, but they were quiet. Now I don't really notice the difference, I just ride, I'm used to them. Now that I think about it, I do miss the Metzlers, but, see, the noise factor comes into play...

I keep thinking about it, but I keep forgetting what I was thinking about!
16 R1200RT
09 R1200RT gone
08 Harley Super Glide gone
80's Honda 900F gone
About 8 Dirt Bikes...Yes, I'm Old.
#1003052 - 01/02/18 10:16 AM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Well, my front tyre pressure is up to 40 psi and it feels a little better, but the bike still does not like road imperfections.
I have ESA on the bike and would love to be able to fiddle with the damping on the 'soft' end of the scale. The damping (imho) is way too firm in soft mode. I like considerably more 'supple' damping when gently pootling around on our pitted and pot holed country lanes.

#1003054 - 01/02/18 01:08 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
I think rebound damping on the soft setting is under damped, particularly with anything more than just the rider on board. I am beginning to think that the lack of a supple ride is that compression damping is too firm . If the feature is part of the ESA shocks I would like to see BMW reduce the high speed (bump) compression damping. With no way to address the issue on the OEM shocks, it comes down to a big gulp and spend the cash on Wilburs, or ?

I had contemplated getting a wethead with standard shocks and using the saved cash to put on third party premium shocks. But virtually none of these exist at the dealers and I didn't want to have a base model with no extras just to get the standard shocks.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#1003063 - 01/02/18 02:45 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.
Yep, that is what I am saying. The ride is FAR from compliant. As a result the handling suffers because if the road surface is poor, the bike does not soak the bumps up, instead the bike moves sideways. Not good.

#1003068 - 01/02/18 03:38 PM Re: Wethead - sensitivity to tyres [Re: AndyS]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Originally Posted by AndyS
Well, my front tyre pressure is up to 40 psi and it feels a little better, but the bike still does not like road imperfections.
I have ESA on the bike and would love to be able to fiddle with the damping on the 'soft' end of the scale. The damping (imho) is way too firm in soft mode. I like considerably more 'supple' damping when gently pootling around on our pitted and pot holed country lanes.

Andy, When you say it doesn’t like road imperfections and I think you mentioned paint lines too in the first post, what happens?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4