IGNORED

Up-shifting RPM's?

Zapata

Hello Team new RT owner here and pardon my ignorance.

At what RPM's is advisable to do the up-shift? I have been doing it at around 4000RPM's. I don't want to lug the engine because that is supposed to be very bad.

Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum Zapata. 4000 rpm sounds about right. I have more than 300,000 miles on BMW's since 1971 so as an old coot, my advice is to keep your eyes on the road, not the tach, and form a close relationship with your fine engine. It will tell you when to shift. There's a wonderful sense of synchronization that occurs between bike and rider once they get to know each other. Once the neural pathways are forged, it's all about feel. Hope this helps.

Take good care.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

One up riding, I go around 4k to 6k depending.

Two up riding I've found that the wife's helmet knocks mine less when I shift in the 2k to 3k range without making sure it is a slow shift. There seems to be slightly less decel at the lower revs since I'm shifting from a lower rev to begin with.

Zapata...welcome to the forum. this is the place to answers for all things BMW...marvelous group. I noticed you are in Houston. Here is a link to the BMW club of Houston. We do lots of groups rides and events. Come by and see us some time. We have two maintenance sessions a year with people who can help you with any maintenance you might need.

www.bmwclubofhouston.com

At the dealership I worked at, we suggested 3500 the minimum when prospective owners would take the bikes on test rides.

Many riders would come in wearing athletic shoes with no cut-out for the heel and find shifting harder.

We had loaner boots we would offer so the riders heel would hook over the peg and so the toe would easily slip under the shifter,

On the older bikes. The R1100s, with the really clunky 5sp, it helped a lot.

Zapata...welcome to the forum. this is the place to answers for all things BMW...marvelous group. I noticed you are in Houston. Here is a link to the BMW club of Houston. We do lots of groups rides and events. Come by and see us some time. We have two maintenance sessions a year with people who can help you with any maintenance you might need.

www.bmwclubofhouston.com

Thank you very much David. I will check it out.