Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1002746 - 12/26/17 02:49 PM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: KER]  
philbytx Offline
philbytx  Offline

Kerrville, TX
I have a 5 year old PC680 on DaRTh and, when not on the road, he is hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus which is for AGM batteries.

http://products.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

I've had Westco's and Odyssey's and I found the Odyssey lasted longer. I also unhook/rest it overnight and then load test it every 6 months and it is still within spec.

Phil C.
2003 R1150RT "DaRTh"
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 Diesel "Smiffy"
2011 Kia Optima EX "Meosjin Chalo"
#1002773 - 12/27/17 04:25 AM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: philbytx]  
KER Offline
KER  Offline

Rancho Cordova, CA
Originally Posted by philbytx
I have a 5 year old PC680 on DaRTh and, when not on the road, he is hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus which is for AGM batteries.

http://products.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

I've had Westco's and Odyssey's and I found the Odyssey lasted longer. I also unhook/rest it overnight and then load test it every 6 months and it is still within spec.

We have dual battery tenders setup for all of our bikes, when they arent being ridden they are always plugged in. My bike ('14 1200RTP) appears to just eat these batteries. My main batteries is about to give out as the bike seems to be having a harder and harder time cranking over. I had also replaced my aux battery early this year with a new PC680 and within a week or two my emergency lights and mobile radio starting have some major issues. I had the light controller replaced since it appeared to be that, but a week later the issue was back (some lights not working at all, some just stuck on, airhorn cutting out). As soon as the issue popped up again I replaced the aux battery with another PC680, and all the issues went away. So, it would have appeared that I got a defective battery that time around. As stated in my original post I ride my bike pretty much daily for ride for several hours, either the charging system is poorly designed and can't maintain the battery or these PC680 leave much to be desired as far I'm concerned. I think for the price I might check out some of those universal batteries Paul mentioned.

'14 1200RT-P
'09 1200RT-P (wrecked)
'04 1150RT-P
'02 1150RT-P (sold)
'01 1150GS-P (sold)
#1002777 - 12/27/17 12:58 PM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: KER]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by KER

We have dual battery tenders setup for all of our bikes, when they arent being ridden they are always plugged in. My bike ('14 1200RTP) appears to just eat these batteries. My main batteries is about to give out as the bike seems to be having a harder and harder time cranking over. I had also replaced my aux battery early this year with a new PC680 and within a week or two my emergency lights and mobile radio starting have some major issues. I had the light controller replaced since it appeared to be that, but a week later the issue was back (some lights not working at all, some just stuck on, airhorn cutting out). As soon as the issue popped up again I replaced the aux battery with another PC680, and all the issues went away. So, it would have appeared that I got a defective battery that time around. As stated in my original post I ride my bike pretty much daily for ride for several hours, either the charging system is poorly designed and can't maintain the battery or these PC680 leave much to be desired as far I'm concerned. I think for the price I might check out some of those universal batteries Paul mentioned.

Morning KER

More than likely your problem can be tracked back to your Battery Tenders as most Battery Tenders do not properly meet the Odyssey's battery charging/maintaining requirements.

From Odyssey battery-- "Float voltages (at the battery) less than 13.5V will pull the battery down (if it gets fully charged to begin with before going into float) into an undercharged condition and will maintain (Float) the battery in that condition causing sulfation and premature failure. Most chargers maintain or float at 13.2-13.4V which is unacceptable. This is the case with many of the Battery Tender brand of chargers that can be purchased today"

You either need to use a battery charger/maintainer that is on the Odyssey charger approved list or at least use a battery charger/maintainer with a snowflake (higher voltage) setting. Chargers with a snowflake setting bump the charging/maintaining voltage for cold weather charging so using that snowflake setting for the Odyssey is pretty close to perfect.

In the mean time you might recondition your present PC-680's then if the bikes are ridden often do not use your Battery Tender (unless Odyssey rated you are probably better off using nothing)

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002810 - 12/28/17 10:49 AM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: dirtrider]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Originally Posted by KER

Morning KER

More than likely your problem can be tracked back to your Battery Tenders as most Battery Tenders do not properly meet the Odyssey's battery charging/maintaining requirements.

From Odyssey battery-- "Float voltages (at the battery) less than 13.5V will pull the battery down (if it gets fully charged to begin with before going into float) into an undercharged condition and will maintain (Float) the battery in that condition causing sulfation and premature failure. Most chargers maintain or float at 13.2-13.4V which is unacceptable. This is the case with many of the Battery Tender brand of chargers that can be purchased today"

You either need to use a battery charger/maintainer that is on the Odyssey charger approved list or at least use a battery charger/maintainer with a snowflake (higher voltage) setting. Chargers with a snowflake setting bump the charging/maintaining voltage for cold weather charging so using that snowflake setting for the Odyssey is pretty close to perfect.

In the mean time you might recondition your present PC-680's then if the bikes are ridden often do not use your Battery Tender (unless Odyssey rated you are probably better off using nothing)

Morning DR,
More than five years ago, when I was running short data logs in the garage (using fans to cool) and during the dead of winter, while I was making short test rides for the Wideband O2 project, I was also dutifully using my Battery Tender Jr. to make sure I kept the battery fully charged. Each time after testing I charged the battery, or so I thought.

The Odyssey was new in April ‘12 and wasted by June ‘13. Luckily I came across the Odyssey info on charging and reconditioning. Nearly 5 years later, after reconditioning the battery per Odyssey, boosting the charging voltage on my 1150 and only using a proper charger, that same nearly dead battery in 2013 is still going strong and holds a 95% charge. The R1150RT’s new owner went and bought an Odyssey charger first thing and I bet he gets many more years service from the battery.
RB

Last edited by roger 04 rt; 12/28/17 10:51 AM.
#1003124 - 01/03/18 02:45 PM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: KER]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
Having purchased numerous batteries over the years, it seems to me that the most economical thing is to simply buy an old fashioned lead acid battery at your local Hondyamazuki shop. I've had AGM and BMW brand units, and sure, they're fine. But they're both also a lot more dough. What are they, twice as much? I know that I don't get twice the life out of them.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#1003134 - 01/03/18 06:16 PM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: KER]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
I started using Westco with my R1100R back around 2000 (+ or - a few years). I have been using them ever since. I have to say a couple of been better than others which adds credit to what DR is saying. I have thought about going to the PC680 as I keep hearing about them from a variety of forums. Be interesting which you pick.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#1003144 - 01/03/18 11:54 PM Re: new battery recommendations [Re: KER]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
+1 on DirtRider and Roger 04 rt

Old Fart Newbie
Page 2 of 2 1 2