IGNORED

What options for a service/repair manual?

BarnRat

Looking for service/repair manual for 2005 K1200S. I don't want to do heavy-duty repairs. Just things like fluid/filter changes, take wheels off to get new tires, etc.. Nothing complicated.

Does everyone buck-up for the official BMW service/repair manual on CD? There doesn't seem to be any alternatives -- no Clymer or Haynes (as poor as they are sometimes).

I may end up just using YouTube videos to show me how to change the oils, or just figure it out myself . . . :( But it would be nice to have torque values . . .

Edited by BarnRat
The common stuff, oil change, torque values for R&R'ing the wheels, are in the owners manual.

Re: 2005 K1200S. There is nothing in my rider's (owner's) manual about engine oil/filter change. Sure, it shows you how to check your oil -- that's it. To access the oil filter looks like it requires removal of tupperware and the shift-lever mechanism, minimally.

Edited by BarnRat
Dennis Andress

That depends on which oil filter you buy. They come in various heights, the shorter ones will fit without removing the shift linkage. Some oil will be spill on the inside of the belly pan, but it is easily cleaned up. (Removing the belly pan is a PITA.)

You'll find more active K Bike forms at i-bmw.com and k-bikes.com.

That depends on which oil filter you buy. They come in various heights, the shorter ones will fit without removing the shift linkage. Some oil will be spill on the inside of the belly pan, but it is easily cleaned up. (Removing the belly pan is a PITA.)

You'll find more active K Bike forms at i-bmw.com and k-bikes.com.

Thanks.

I'll check out those forums.

Well, you didn't hear it from me,

But on ebay, you can get bootleg copies of the BMW dealer software sold by disgruntled dealers who don't like paying for them for a pittance .

Read the descriptions carefully to see if it will have that info . It may have a lot of stuff you don't need like labor times, etc.

It's been several years since I've used it.

AND word on the street is, when you go to open it the first time, be careful to select English . Supposedly if you accidently click on Laplandish etc, that's what you get, period.

Of course, it could be an internet rumor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200GT-K1200R-K1200S-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL/162809209942?hash=item25e82f6456:m:mWpdcFlH9byNIikrpwVTzag&vxp=mtr

I got the Clymer manual on line, same for Yamaha Majesty. Just check Amazon/e-Bay or similar for them. There is a dedicated web site, forget now, maybe just

try motorcycle manuals, should get some response. Manual in hand with more detailed notes on stickynotes, just so I can repeat any situation in more detail or sketches to reassemble stuff.

Later, have fun!! --- Cal

I got the Clymer manual on line, same for Yamaha Majesty. Just check Amazon/e-Bay or similar for them. There is a dedicated web site, forget now, maybe just

try motorcycle manuals, should get some response. Manual in hand with more detailed notes on stickynotes, just so I can repeat any situation in more detail or sketches to reassemble stuff.

Later, have fun!! --- Cal

Neither Clymer nor Haynes makes a manual for the 2005 K1200S. I looked on their websites and on Amazon. Nada. Older R-bikes are a different story -- plenty of manuals around.

I purchased a BMW OEM manual on DVD. It will do nicely.

Edited by BarnRat

Say, R1100S guy, do you need a service manual for THAT beast ? I have a factory one for it.

And a set of used, within spec stock brake rotors for it.

Tri750@hotmail.com

Say, R1100S guy, do you need a service manual for THAT beast ? I have a factory one for it.

And a set of used, within spec stock brake rotors for it.

Tri750@hotmail.com

No thanks. I have the BMW R1100S manual in PDF format -- all 300 pages of it. I like softcopy best so I can print off the pages I need -- as long as you print off all the referenced pages too. My R1100S only has 5300 miles and the way I ride it (like the old man that I am) I shouldn't need brake rotors for many years. Also, the way I buy and sell bikes odds are I won't have the R1100S five years from now. But thanks for the offers.

Edited by BarnRat
  • 2 months later...

I've got a '00 K1200LT.

I bought a Clymer manual on eBay. It's pretty good.

I, also, bought a bootleg pdf BMW Repair & Service Manual from emanual online. With it, I found that the BMW official manuals aren't easy to use, but they do fill in the blanks from Clymers.

I checked, & emanuals does have K1200S BMW Service & Repair Manual files available.

Hope this helps