IGNORED

Camhead Timing Chain.

RSH

Hello All:

I have a friend selling his 2010 R1200 RT with 42K KM on it.

A potential buyer is trying to get him down on price because he is saying specifically, he will need to replace the cam timing chains soon, as regular maintenance.

I have never read about this or seen any issues on this forum regarding actually replacing them. Nothing in my Haynes manual either.

Do the tensioners ever have to be replaced at a certain mileage? I don't see anything about that either, other than occasional adjustment on some. (left side leaking oil)

Is this a non-issue or I am wrong?

My friend is buying the new G 310 GS to bomb around town & country on.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Note - Not the alternator belt or shaft drive chain.

Edited by RSH
Hello All:

I have a friend selling his 2010 R1200 RT with 42K KM on it.

A potential buyer is trying to get him down on price because he is saying specifically, he will need to replace the cam timing chains soon, as regular maintenance.

I have never read about this or seen any issues on this forum regarding actually replacing them. Nothing in my Haynes manual either.

Do the tensioners ever have to be replaced at a certain mileage? I don't see anything about that either, other than occasional adjustment on some. (left side leaking oil)

Is this a non-issue or I am wrong?

My friend is buying the new G 310 GS to bomb around town & country on.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Note - Not the alternator belt or shaft drive chain.

Afternoon RSH

It's a non issue!

Due to the extreme engine disassembly needed to replace the cam drive chains it would be all over the internet if camhead engines were failing cam chains.