IGNORED

Front shock blown??

Rougarou

I noticed an oil spot under the front of the bike yesterday,.....bad sign. So I lay on the floor and start looking around. At first I thought this was a result of my slide a few weeks ago as after that inspection, the oil filter had some "rubbing" on it think that a slight crack may have finally opened up but doesn't look that way. On the flashlight examination, the bottom of the shock spring had an oil droplet on it. I've poked around as best I could but cannot find specifically the source of the leak. Before I pull the trigger on buying a new used front esa shock, I want to make sure that it's actually the shock that is bad. Sooo, what's the test?

I noticed an oil spot under the front of the bike yesterday,.....bad sign. So I lay on the floor and start looking around. At first I thought this was a result of my slide a few weeks ago as after that inspection, the oil filter had some "rubbing" on it think that a slight crack may have finally opened up but doesn't look that way. On the flashlight examination, the bottom of the shock spring had an oil droplet on it. I've poked around as best I could but cannot find specifically the source of the leak. Before I pull the trigger on buying a new used front esa shock, I want to make sure that it's actually the shock that is bad. Sooo, what's the test?

Morning Living the Dream

Not much to test-- Just clean the shock & spring then ride it & look for signs of new leaking.

Your leak might be coming from a fork seal & blowing back so you might try ripping a cloth into a long strip then tying one around each fork tube just above the seal area. (that will show any leaks in that area as well as catching a lot of oil that could be leaking there & blowing back).

Also, look CLOSELY at the engine oil cooler & lines for signs of leaks (after a drop those can leak).

Thanks for the info D.R.

Don't think I even need to take a ride. I degreased everything around and after I completed my tire swap, I put the ESA in comfort and began to bounce. Seems a bit of oil is getting shot out from the lower part of the shock.....whatcha think?

38666389415_59831fa829_b.jpg

A number of the early-ish ESA shocks failed early in comparison to non ESA shocks.

Buying a used one may just get you one that is already blown or is ready to blow.

Check around to see about getting yours rebuilt. Not inexpensive .

Try Lindemann Engineering in I think Redlands, Ca.

Best to use a phone with him . But his website has a lot of info on pricing.

Thanks much, I ordered one from a dismantled 2007 RT with 50ishk on it for $85. Seeing as mine lasted 108k, I should be good to go.

Got the shock installed. Did a short test ride through the three settings and it appears to be functioning as it should. As I pulled the old one off and flipped it, oil poured out,.....yuck. Hopefully, this one will last another 50k or so.