IGNORED

What are the best apps on your phone?

Indy Dave

I've decided I'm under-utilizing my Android - and have been for generations of Droids.

What are some of your most useful or highly recommended apps? Also interested in what service/maintenance app(s) you use.

Now now, don't be shy. I've already been to the virtual principal's office today by a valued member of this very forum, who while also eager for app suggestions for HIS phone, in no uncertain terms scolded me for having a Galaxy S8 and not even coming close to utilizing it's potential. I guess this thing can solve World Peace, the proper oil to use in any situation, the correct air pressure at any temperature and load and act as a remote fuel strip.

Any apps will do, not limited Maintenance and Service records, etc.

If you're a Microsoft guy, OneNote along with OneDrive is great for making notes and reminders. When I hear or read about a route or destination I haven't heard about, I put it into OneNote for later. The OneDrive features allows you to access your files on any of your devices including desktop, laptop or phone. For instance I have my owners manual, JVB productions maintenance video, Sena manual, and other equipment manuals available where ever I am. They are all free and work well on Android devices.

If your not a Microsoft guy you can accomplish the same thing with Google Drive and Google Keep. I'm sure there's an equivalent Apple set up but I don't use their products.

Phone says I have about 65 apps installed, but most see little use. Here are the ones I use most.

Nova Launcher to provide more screen layout flexibilty

Main screen apps, used very often:

Moon+ Reader - Most used app. Excellent ebook reader with many options, also works well to access the library of PDF owners manuals that I keep on the phone.

MediaMonkey (widget)- Media player for audio and video, syncs nicely with my Windows PC where I keep my music and audiobook files.

Podcast Republic (widget) - I only follow a few of the many available podcasts, this keeps them up to date.

Sudoku - the free one from genina.com. Timed puzzles I use to gauge how quick I'm thinking today (unobtrusive ads).

RealCalc Scientific Calculator - does easy unit conversions between metric-imperial.

Weather Underground (widget) - was a favorite, but company was sold and changes have caused some recent glitches. Have not found a better replacement yet.

Google Maps - general purpose online GPS, with live traffic updates and re-routing, has literally saved hours sitting in traffic. Also check business hours and phone numbers, find local restaurants/motels, get reviews.

GasBuddy - to check prices and plan gas stops down the road using the map screen

Smartphone Link - for Zumo GPS communication, weather, live traffic, searching for and transferring destinations

Samsung Health (widget) - counts steps to make me feel guilty

Chrome browser - stays in sync with my PC bookmarks and cookies

Clock - standard app. Love the gradually increasing volume of the alarm clock, almost makes me wish I still had to get up for work. (Not!)

Memo - standard app for shopping lists, to-do (someday), etc. Remember you can add a photo, handy for collecting serial/model numbers for that part you need.

Second screen, useful apps, but not needed as often:

Locus Map Pro - excellent GPS, uses on or offline maps (many free choices), used mostly for hiking (with tracking so I don't get lost) but getting more on-road use lately. May be replacing the zumo at some point as I become more proficient with its many not-obvious capabilities.

Furkot - excellent trip planner. Mainly on the phone as a backup, I prefer the larger screen on the PC for planning.

CoPilot - another GPS with offline maps, OK for "take me directly here" use, but not as friendly to planned routes as it used to be.

Dropbox - Pictures auto-sync to PC on wifi, handy for other file transfers.

Solid Explorer - Good file manager, not only to access files on the phone, but also can manage Dropbox and shared files/folders on my home network.

WiFi Analyzer - Graphically shows wifi signal strength in many forms. Helpful for setting up access points, picking the strongest signal, avoiding interfering channels.

QR Reader - to read those patterns on packages in the store and UPC codes (scan the UPC, launch a search to compare store/online prices, check reviews)

Smart Tools - collection of utilities to use the phone's sensors. Sound meter, several levels, protractors, compass, thread pitch, etc. Some are available as free stand-alone apps.

Third page

Google Calendar (widget) - standard app, full screen display of the month's calendar, synced with my wife's schedule. Helps avoid conflicts, as long as she remembers to input her plans (and I remember to look).

That should keep you busy for a while.

Edited by lkraus

Oh, a couple quick tips .

The camera is more useful if you can launch it quickly. On your S8, open the Camera by quickly pressing the Power key twice. If it does not work, Tap Settings > Advanced features >

Quick launch camera, and tap On/Off to enable. On my S7 it takes a double tap on the Home key. This bypasses the lock screen to go direct to the camera.

Like a megaphone, you can greatly increase the volume of the speaker if you place it near hard surface, with the speaker aimed at the surface. Walls, bookcase corners, cubbyholes, even small open boxes work..

Thanks Larry! Love the double tap pwr for camera!

I'm not a total Luddite, so perhaps it will help to list my non standard apps and ones I wish did a better job.

Nova Settings - screen utility

Poweramp - audio player - pd version

Greenify - app killer. not sure needed these days.

Sygic GPS

FoboBike

YaV1 - Valentine One app

File Manager

Keep - Note app

My Radar - pd version

Responded - responds to texts when I'm riding or driving so I don't have to

SMS backup - messages, etc back up

Transparent Weather app - Pro-version/Weather underground

Dropbox

some other

I have an 'unlocked' S8 on Verizon. Good and bad. Bad is that the S8 won't multitask while on a phone call eg: use the browser/send sms messages at the same time. Also no HD calling or Video calling. Apparently these are carrier apps. Seems odd . .

I do not like the Calendar - it does not 'nag' you audibly until you acknowledge a reminder. One ding and its done! WTF

I use the basis messages app, not having migrated to 'hangouts' or whatever else they're trying to switch me over to.

I do like the idea of migrating certain non-personal files over platforms, so they are available over the Internets. One other thing I thought I'd do while hanging around after surgery is root the phone. But again, not sure I need to, given that my use is at a first grade level (I guess that's like reading the Mark and Janet primary readers from that school year?) according to a current iPhone user and lurker here.

One other thing I thought I'd do while hanging around after surgery is root the phone.

I used to root my Android devices. There's really no need any more. The apps that I needed for a rooted phone (such as backup utilities) are now available for unrooted phones. Rooting does allow you to remove some of the "crapware" that the manufactures install on their phones but nowadays, you can easily disable them in the settings. Rooting is a pain because you lose root anytime a new update comes along and there is risk that you will brick the device and really struggle to get it to work again.

Edited by LittleBriar

Thanks - being that this is a 'unlocked' phone, it didn't come with any service provider bloatware. That's proven to be a trade-off, as it also lacks HD calling, calling and data use concurrently, video calling and visual Voice Mail - so one has to access VM the 'Old Fashioned' way and call VM, then enter your code. You can still save VM's, but with visual VM, you can select the saved message you want to access in stead of having to listening to them in order till you get to the one you want.

I guess Google has some kind of app that allows video calling or Voice Mail? I don't really use video calling except when my phone is mounted on my bike, then I can use it and it transmits my Famously Studly Mug tucked into my helmet while riding.

I have an older S5 because ............. I'm cheap :D :D :D I'd rather spend $30 on a new battery every year then >$500 on a new phone.

My travel phone is an unlocked Motorola Moto E, which is really handy because I just connect to the wifi at home before I leave and it updates my email accounts, Google Contacts, Calendar and Documents.

I'm old-fashioned and organize my life on MS Outlook 2007. So I have DejaOffice to sync with Outlook. I tried a few different syncing options and this one worked the best

Anyway, I travel quite a bit and find all the following helpful:

TripAdvisor-basic, sometimes biased but a good place to start a search for "what-to-do, where-to-stay, where-to-eat"

Zomato- eating focused

Hotel apps, airline apps and airport apps that I install and remove as needed. Some are better than others but can be invaluable for last-second searches for a hotel room and updates on flight and gate status.

WhatsApp The only way my adult children will communicate with me. Sometimes we text, but if I don't have a SIM card for the country I'm in at least we can communicate via wifi

Google Maps can be really helpful, but the location services built in drains my battery on both phones faster then stink. I need to use an external battery pack or external DC power source to keep it running longer than an hour or two.

Mike Cassidy

If you're a Microsoft guy, OneNote along with OneDrive is great for making notes and reminders. When I hear or read about a route or destination I haven't heard about, I put it into OneNote for later. The OneDrive features allows you to access your files on any of your devices including desktop, laptop or phone. For instance I have my owners manual, JVB productions maintenance video, Sena manual, and other equipment manuals available where ever I am. They are all free and work well on Android devices.

If your not a Microsoft guy you can accomplish the same thing with Google Drive and Google Keep. I'm sure there's an equivalent Apple set up but I don't use their products.

OneNote works just peachy on apple. I don't know if I could live without it.

OneNote works just peachy on apple. I don't know if I could live without it.

I like Evernote better for just keeping track of assorted information, but my wife swears by OneNote because of the way she likes to organize things for trip planning. Both apps are multi-platform (PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, probably Android) with synchronization in the cloud.

I'm an Apple guy, but I'd assume most of the apps I like are available for Android. Some others:

Things - great for keeping track of to-dos.

Waze - Traffic-aware navigation. Essential if you drive in a major metro area.

UDOT Traffic - If you're in Torrey and there's been snow, this app gives you a map showing, and giving access to, all the webcams on Utah highway passes, so you can see which route home is dry.

WeatherBug - Weather forecast app. But what I really like about it (although I use it rarely in San Diego) is that it will show you how far away lightning is.

Kindle - I use it more on my iPad than on my iPhone, but I have it on both and having access to the same books in both is occasionally handy. And beats using a Kindle device.

OpenTable - more and more restaurants let you book reservations using this app.

FlightView Elite - airline flight tracking app.

Travel apps: airline apps for the airlines you use (some are really good), Uber, Lyft, Hotel Tonight (last-minute hotel booking. Useful for MC trips)

Google Translate

Hue (to turn on/off lights).

Garmin Smart Link.

Sonos.

Flipboard.

NT Times.

Washington Post.

Politico.

Dropbox (yes, I know you have it).

Speedtest.

Lat Lon Converter.

Flightaware.

Pango/PayByPhone/parkmobile/ParkingPanda (all parking apps).

Fandango/Ticketmaster/Live Nation/StubHub.

First Aid

Web MD

Genius Scan/Genius Fax.

As for maintenance etc., I've tried a couple, but never found them particularly useful. I keep track of bike maintenance by using Notes (an Apple app).

As for maintenance etc., I've tried a couple, but never found them particularly useful. I keep track of bike maintenance by using Notes (an Apple app).

My maintenance records are all on paper. But I do need prompting to look at them, so any app that provides a reminder is helpful. Car Maintenance Reminder has worked well for that. It seems to assume I'm putting on miles (based on previous entries???) even when I have not remembered to manually enter an updated mileage, which I like. I will probably upgrade to the Pro version, allowing multiple vehicles. It might help keep up with my wife's car, as she always adds mileage quicker than I expect.

I have not been able to find a good maintenance app for the Android. Would love to find one though. For now I just use an excel spreadsheet.

Here's my list

Grocery IQ - A shopping app that lets the whole family add to the shipping list. It syncs automatically most of the time.

TrackR - When combined with the dongles that are attached to various objects, like my keys, lets me find them. When I lose the phone, pressing the button on the dongle lets me

find the phone.

Uber and Lyft - for when I want to be driven somewhere.

Scopecam - Goes with the USB digital microscope

Waze and Google maps - Navigation, especially useful in the car in urban areas. Not so useful on the bike, because we can lane split, but in the car, finds the fastest way around

traffic jams.

Mobisle Notes - A note taking app that backs itself up

Amazon Kindle - Carries my books

ConvertPad - Conversions of all kinds

White Noise Lite - Produces all sorts of white noise to help sleep. My fav is the "Ocean Waves Crashing"

Shazam - For identifying those tunes that I recognize but just can't place

Wikicamps and Allstays Camp and RV - I haven't used these yet but I'm told that they're useful for finding camping spots.

The BMW RepROM disc provides tightening torque values in Nm, my torque wrenches are in ft-lb or in-lb, so conversion is always a nuisance, even with the converter in the program. I discovered that the units converter in RealCalc Plus (paid version) allows for custom conversions of your choice. Using a text editor to add these conversion factors to the app's data.xml file gave me the exact torque conversions I needed:

While upgrading, I discovered that the paid versions of the following apps are eligible for the Family sharing plan, so my wife can take advantage of my purchases at no additional cost.

Moon+ Reader - Most used app. Excellent ebook reader with many options, also works well to access the library of PDF owners manuals that I keep on the phone.

MediaMonkey (widget)- Media player for audio and video, syncs nicely with my Windows PC where I keep my music and audiobook files.

RealCalc Scientific Calculator - does easy unit conversions between metric-imperial.

Locus Map Pro - excellent GPS, uses on or offline maps (many free choices), used mostly for hiking (with tracking so I don't get lost) but getting more on-road use lately.

CoPilot - another GPS with offline maps, OK for "take me directly here" use, but not as friendly to planned routes as it used to be.

Solid Explorer - Good file manager, not only to access files on the phone, but also can manage Dropbox and shared files/folders on my home network.

Smart Tools - collection of utilities to use the phone's sensors. Sound meter, several levels, protractors, compass, thread pitch, etc. Some are available as free stand-alone apps.

I have used CamScanner, it comes in handy if you need to scan documents and convert them to a pdf and email them. You can also just safe them to the phone, Dropbox or their cloud service.

Works with Android or Apple.

I use a 2nd factor authentication app

Lightroom

Poweramp

If I'm traveling I'll use

Gasbuddy

Sometimes I will have a tides app, but the one I like is no longer available, so lately I don't have that.

The rest are all preloaded stuff like maps, calendar, email, calculator, clock, etc.

Lone_RT_rider
I have used CamScanner, it comes in handy if you need to scan documents and convert them to a pdf and email them.

I second Bernies recommendation. That little app has saved my Bacon more time's than I can count. Over the past 2 years with getting married, buying and selling houses and purchasing a few larger ticket items it has saved days waiting to get to work and scan something. So quick, so easy and makes a document so clear and readable.

An important one I forgot to mention: 1Password. It's a password manager/generator. Syncs between devices. So you basically only have to remember the password to get into 1Password (used Touch ID on iOS if available, possibly also on Android), and it remembers all your other, different for each site, hard to crack passwords.

Also AnyList, a grocery (and other things) list app that syncs between family members' devices, so anybody can add to the list and whoever's at the store has the current list.

My Fitness Pal is a great app for tracking diet and exercise.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I've look at all of these and downloaded many, but have yet to determine how useful they are to me. I suppose part of my problem with using Apps is the old notion, There's no such thing as a Free Lunch :eat: (especially with the bunch I end up eating with :ohboy::stir: ), so I'm always suspicious of what code or information is also a part of the 'free app'. I'm skeptical of web pages I visit that prompt me to add their app vs using the web version. Sililarly, I guess I'm the sucker that will pay a fee (if small) for 'ad free' apps for ones I find usefull - like my weather app, etc.

I've hesitated to respond, hoping this thread will continue to get updated with suggestions, if anything is truer than Death and Taxes, it's that tech is in constant change.

I have a ton of apps on my iPhone, but these stand out as being particularly useful:

-TurboScan (uses the camera to scan documents, then save or send them via email or messaging)

-Waze (okay navigator, combined with crowd-sourced driving info that's very helpful)

-OpenTable (great for booking restaurant reservations)

As I mentioned, I have many others, but these three are the ones that give me a warm feeling inside every time I use them. :Yes:

Working and playing on the water here, my two favorites are : My Radar and WeatherBug. Both are my favorite 4 letter word FREE !!

Navionics is one cool boating app.

Dave:

I have a S8 as well and here are my most used apps:

Yelp- My all time favorite app

USAA

Amazon Music

Pandora

Weather Underground (widget)

Google Calendar (Widget)

CM Browser

Pure Gas (this finds Non-ethanol fuel points)

Medscape

and some more work related apps that I will not bore you all with

Mike

Mike - Looks like Pure Gas is now only for apple devices.

EDIT: Apparently they have a few changes to make to meet new Play guidelines. They say it'll be a few days on the website.

Edited by workin' them angels

Dave:

Hmm, interesting. Hopefully they fix it. At one point you were able to DL the POI and list(s) from their website and upload them to a GPS, though that may have changed since last I looked.

Call Control. (Paid version) a community powered anti telemarketing app. Get a call from Rachel about your credit card, just block it and report it. Your phone will ignore that number in the future and everyone else using the program will have Rachel added to their list automatically.