IGNORED

Valve Cover Guards

Daddoz777

Anyone have input on BMW's 77148533745 valve cover guards and/or previous posts on cover guards in general? Please don't provide feedback on crash bars; I'm not interested. I'm mostly interested in covers with a rubber backing and replaceable pads on the outside. Thanks.

I had them they work and you can replace the outside contact point. If you have you saddle bag on they will get marked in drop. Not sure what your question was, hope I gave you some of what you are after

Jay

Anyone have input on BMW's 77148533745 valve cover guards and/or previous posts on cover guards in general? Please don't provide feedback on crash bars; I'm not interested. I'm mostly interested in covers with a rubber backing and replaceable pads on the outside. Thanks.

I have them and recommend them. Easy to install and look great. They may muffle the valve noise a bit also. I haven't had to test their crashworthiness, fortunately.

Last crash bars I installed on a bike were on my '76 CB550K back in the day. :)

I had them they work and you can replace the outside contact point. If you have you saddle bag on they will get marked in drop. Not sure what your question was, hope I gave you some of what you are after

Jay

The BMW ones seemed good but I couldn't find any posts or reviews of anybody saying yea or nay. Had also wondered if there were other brands folks were happy with. Was also wondering about the rear cases but it looks like without bars they're going to get munched if the bike goes over.

I put them on my bike and like them. They are well constructed of metal with replaceable inserts, an easy DYI install and they look great. Can't tell you how well they work and hope to never know that information. Search forum history as there was a long thread on valve cover guards and crash bars. Some folks want the more substantial bars for greater protection and ability to mount hiway pegs and driving lights. I went with the cover guards you are looking at because IMOHO all of the the crash bars being offered detract from the bikes looks more than I liked.

Look at the MachineArtMoto valve cover protectors applicable to your engine.

Very sturdy and look good.

JR356

+1 on the MachineArtMoto guards! Very well made and will do the job.

IMG_2137-L.jpg

Edited by RTinNC

I have them. Haven't drop-tested them. Mine came without installation instructions, but somebody here provided them. And you do need them, because there are a couple of substitutions of old parts for new parts during installation that aren't intuitively obvious (at least to me). Also, note that the mounting point on the underside of the cylinder is tapped at an angle. Getting all three mounting holes to line up can be a little tough, because you have to compress the rubber pad on the inside a little bit. As I recall, I found it easier if I installed the screws in a different order than called for in the instructions, but I've forgotten what it was.

I didn't reference the part number for the BMW guards, but I assume they are the same. I have a 2016 RT and I did extensive research, and decided on the BMW guards. I liked the thick rubber pad on the inside. I was making a slow, tight u-turn and put my foot down to help keep me up, but I was in a dirt shoulder and my foot slipped out, and down I went. The guard got scraped on the bottom, and I didn't bother changing the plastic cover. I damaged the side case, and mirror housing. A quick $1,000. I purchased Illium guards for less than $300, cheap insurance in case there is a next time. The RT goes over in an instant. I've had a couple of close calls in parking areas trying to push backwards, and hitting a little patch of dirt or gravel. I would recommend the Illium guards, they install in one minute (after you do the initial installation of the hardware brackets).

I have the BMW valve cover guards and also the BMW side case bumper guards on my '16 and I think they're perfectly adequate, but haven't drop tested them, and plan not to! Actually they were offered by the dealer as part of an incentive package and they installed the valve cover guards for me. The bumpers for these cases simply stick on and look like they are part of the case design, in fact they should have been!

fullsizeoutput_24a.jpg

Edited by NoelCP

It would all depend on the specifics of the drop. Did you take a photo of the damage? If if were a straight tip over onto flat pavement these bumpers stick out well past the fattest parts of the case and so should take the initial brunt of a static drop. If I lay the side case down fully on the outside the case the area between the bumpers is protected, i.e. don't contact the ground. It also looks to me like it will likely only be the lower bumper that hits the ground as the cylinder heads restrict how far down the bike can go, and the lower bumper is quite fat. If the surface dropped onto is very irregular, or you drop against a curb for example, then all bets are off. For me even these bumpers are bordering on overkill as I only use my side cases when touring which is only about 2-3x/year, so for this little exposure it's a bit moot.

Edited by NoelCP

I'd not heard of them before but those BMW case guards look pretty good and unobtrusive. I have the BMW VC guards basically for gentle tipovers which knock on wood has never happened in 20 years' riding, and those case guards should give similar protection without the whole bars look (but not as effective as bars of course). Real laydown damage is what insurance is for IMO.

I have the BMW valve cover guards and also the BMW side case bumper guards on my '16 and I think they're perfectly adequate, but haven't drop tested them, and plan not to! Actually they were offered by the dealer as part of an incentive package and they installed the valve cover guards for me. The bumpers for these cases simply stick on and look like they are part of the case design, in fact they should have been!

---------------------------------------------

I didn't know about these case bumpers and they seem like a great option. All I've been able to find are all the rear bar offerings that look like honking antlers or something. As for the front half, I'm liking the BMW valve guard setup because they have replaceable impact pads. I see many like the MachineArt Moto setup but I'm thinking they're a $200 one-drop proposition. They don't come as singles and don't have replaceable pads. FWIW.

I think the side case bumpers are for preventing scuffs when going through tight gaps. A good idea.

However, will not help one jot in a 'tip-over' scenario.

If anyone digs up the part number for these side case bumpers, please post it on here.

I think the side case bumpers are for preventing scuffs when going through tight gaps. A good idea.

If anyone digs up the part number for these side case bumpers, please post it on here.

Here you go, Andy:

Impact protection, Touring case, left 1 77427700461 $131.00

Impact protection, Touring case, right 1 77427700462 $131.00

Set, protective film, Tour cases 1 77428528355 $183.00

I wouldn't want to have to test it but it looks like the lower case bumper is located at the case's contact point if the bike were to be tipped over so it actually might protect one jot but not more.

Then again, pricing four 18" strips of rubberized plastic at $262 is typical BMW.

Thanks PadG for the part numbers.

Edited by JohnH VA

Nope, they're impact protectors and the lower bumper becomes the first contact point on a tip over. And even if the drop had enough momentum to cause the outside of the side case to become direct flat on the pavement there is relief between the bumpers where the side case won't make contact unless the surface isn't entirely flat. Now what I really have no idea about is how much physical force the entire side case can sustain before structural damage to the side case occurs. If they are vulnerable in a tip over to structural damage then I would have to agree w/ your opinion. The F800GT I had suffered a static drop, no boxer heads to break the fall, and directly onto the side case it dropped and it dropped pretty hard. It did zero structural damage to the side cases--just scuffs which I was able to refinish and restore, but the bike only weighs 470lb.

• 8 months later...

Here you go, Andy:

Impact protection, Touring case, left 1 77427700461 $131.00

Impact protection, Touring case, right 1 77427700462 $131.00

Set, protective film, Tour cases 1 77428528355 $183.00

Is there install instructions for these bumpers? Just paid to much money for them after a tip over in driveway. The kit came with two cardboard templates but cant figure it out at the moment ?