IGNORED

R1150 RT Dropped

BMW Commuting Guy

BMW Commuting Guy

So on my lunch break I popped to the market to get some food and on my return outside the office I just dropped my bike. I thought I had put the side up and as I lowered it down I lent it a tad to far to recover once I noticed. So now once a perfect bike has now got:

Scratched Engine

Scratched slightly wing mirror

scratched pannier

Im so bloody annoyed with myself as I always check it is up. I suppose wing mirror and pannier cover can be completely replaced but what about the engine cover. The pannier is not paint is it, its like a coasting of something. Can this be fixed?

Any advice please guys for a complete novice on DIY anything.

Welcome to the community.!! 2004 is a great year to own.

All of us sooner or later drop our bikes, welcome to the club. I've dropped mine on both sides. :dopeslap:

The scratched engine,, is this just on the valve cover?? I put on a set of cover protectors which hide the

damage. Replacements are costly.

Check with a local body repair shop for ideas on pannier repair.

I'd leave the mirror as a reminder to check stand.

Good day.

BMW Commuting Guy

Having calmed down a little, looked at the cost to directly replace parts, re looked at the bike and taken some pics. I may just leave them apart from adding on the cover protectors as suggested.

pictures are attached but pannier picture not great. Damage was pretty bad on the pannier, deep scratches.

6806.jpg.4ba41f4f4ee4612bc5f7bbd352fc9cab.jpg

Well, a replacement rocker cover from James Sherlock / Ebay / Motorworks isn't out of the question.

Pannier lid is going to take a hit whether you ger some engine protector or not.

If you get the pannier lid and Mirror housing repaired at a body shop it will not cost you the earth if you shop around.

But those little plastic valve cover protectors :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1150R-2002-35-161-miles-left-rocker-cover-protector-trim/152844606517?hash=item23963f9c35:g:SeEAAOSwSCZZfxbM

don't cost the earth.

The R1150RT is worth caring for. It is a delightful bike.

Can a grown man feel love for an inanimate object? As an adult, the closest that I have come to crying was when I let my then perfect 04 RT Black Beauty tip over while dismounting her. Time heals all wounds yet not the cracked and scratched plastic body parts. Although, Black Beauty and I are both better for having had the experience.

Another source of supply of second hand bike parts.

https://www.boonstraparts.com

They are out of The Neatherlands, bought one like you need just before Christmas, prestine left valve covers are hard (but not impossible) to find. Good folks to deal with and closer to you.

No affiliation, just a very satisified customer.

Good luck.

Rick

As you , I felt really bad about dropping a beautiful black R1150RTL... Then reality appeared in an ephanay... As much as I love BMW's and my own bike, the reality is, this motorcycle handles like a dream, at speeds over 5 MPH. That said, under 5 MPH, It's handles like an a freakin' anvil! It is awkward at best... My point is... It's inevitable that this battle against gravity makes us all losers. These low speed mishaps are part of ownership. Dust off your bruised ego and get on with the enjoyable part... Go Riding!

Congratulations, you joined the club! Don't sweat the small stuff, the cosmetics, wear it like a badge of courage!

I like to buy used bikes that have already had a few battle scars. That way I don't have to worry about the inevitable scratches and dings, just ride and appreciate the experience, or agonize when they do happen. I have more than a few myself and each is a story for the grandkids and a lesson in what not to do.

+1 on the cheapo valve cover guards, too.

I dropped my 2015 R12R when I brought it home from the dealer. Dropped it one other time since then. I have just gotten used to it not being pristine. One advantage of the R over the RT is there is less plastic to show the damage.

CG,

You have the RT since 2016...?

And this the first time you have dropped it...?

If so, you are doing good.

When I first got the RT, different folks on these forums said "you may have been riding for years and never dropped your bike. but get an RT, especially a '02-'03-'04, and you are probably gonna drop it early on, and maybe later again".

And.... they were correct.

You may find this post: DIY System Cases Painting/Refinishing of some help.

After I had owned my RT for 5 or 6 years I decided to have the mirrors painted at an autobody shop. One had some drop scratches, both were pitted from the ubiquitous winter gravel on our roads. They come out looking very good, but it cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Mike Cassidy

All of those comments are very good advice. Remember though, that if you DO order the nylon/plastic cyl-head protectors, make sure you get the right ones. Different sizes for twin- and single-spark bikes, and some of the cheapo Chinese copies simply won't agree to be bludgeoned into place and screwed tight.

IMHO, the Hepco & Becker ( and similar) crash bar kits are too heavy and expensive to make the investment worth-while for better falling-over damage protection.

When I dropped my Rockster - twice - and both drops occurred at less than walking speed, as above, I found that the little touch up paint bottles from RS-Paints, plus an hour or two with wet'n'dry beforehand made the small paint-damaged areas quite undetectable.

The full set of nail-varnish-sized bottles aren't cheap what with the various colours required and the topping-off clearcoat, but work out cheaper than a good paint shop's charges.

I used JB weld, a two part epoxy to fill the scratches in my rocker cover. Sanded smooth and and painted with a Auto store rattle can silver paint. Near perfect. Funny the scratches were there when I bought the bike, under the guards. Mike

NAPA auto parts sells an aluminum colored engine block hi temperature paint in a spray can that is an exact match or as close as you're ever going to get.