IGNORED

ABS starts flashing while riding

Rev. Chuck

Hi All,

I am struggling to rectify a problem.

2005 R1200 RT 89,7xx miles and of late after I take off the ABS will cycle fine and stop flashing, then 3-20 miles later it comes back on the warning and caution flashing. I stop and turn off the key, wait a few and restart. At times the battery is depleted and won't start... Replaced the battery today and back from the test ride ...still the same..

Any thoughts? Brake fluid seems full, though honestly time for a fluid replacement is over due. Pads are good.

Thanks folks... even for reading.

Hi All,

I am struggling to rectify a problem.

2005 R1200 RT 89,7xx miles and of late after I take off the ABS will cycle fine and stop flashing, then 3-20 miles later it comes back on the warning and caution flashing. I stop and turn off the key, wait a few and restart. At times the battery is depleted and won't start... Replaced the battery today and back from the test ride ...still the same..

Any thoughts? Brake fluid seems full, though honestly time for a fluid replacement is over due. Pads are good.

Thanks folks... even for reading.

Morning Chuck

Many possible causes of your problem so without getting the brake system failure codes it is a BIG guessing game. That will take either a dealer computer or a GS-911.

An educated guess would be either a failing wheel speed sensor or one of the brake fluid reservoirs in your ABS controller is low on fluid. But keep in mind this is just a guess from afar.

You can't tell how much fluid is in the controller reservoirs without removing the fuel tank as the reservoir caps are under the fuel tank.

If your speedometer is working correctly then at least one of your wheel speed sensors is reading correctly.

Probably the place to start looking is at the brake fluid level in the under-tank controller & as long as you are going in that far do your brake flush & re-new the fluid in both brake lever & pedal (control side) & the under tank ABS controller (wheel side).

Do you lose the power braking on either the front lever or rear pedal when the dash warning comes on???????

Check the abs sensor cable on the front. Sometimes they touch the rotor and wear through, sometimes intermittently grounding out on the rotor, sometimes permanently.