IGNORED

Rusk in disk rotor?

Zapata

Hello Team:

Went out of town this weekend to visit a friend and had to leave the bike park on the outside just with a cover that only protects the top of the bike, it rain all night and part of the morning and when I go out the driveway I notice this:

80-img_0846_70419ee558e9aa56e1dbea5e5ba34a4f753ecb8a.jpg

Is this normal? Any way to clean it? Will breaking be affected?

Thank you very much.

Ride it and apply the brakes a few times,that will come right off.

Just be careful and gradually apply the brakes,may be a bit"grabby"the first stop or two.

You can take some steel wool or fine emery paper to the disks before riding,if you want to.

JR356

Hello Team:

Went out of town this weekend to visit a friend and had to leave the bike park on the outside just with a cover that only protects the top of the bike, it rain all night and part of the morning and when I go out the driveway I notice this:

Is this normal? Any way to clean it? Will breaking be affected?

Thank you very much.

Morning Zapata

Yes, that is pretty normal.

It really isn't the rotors themselves rusting as they are stainless steel, it is the metallic brake pad material deposited ON the brake rotor surface that is lightly corroding.

If you look closely at the rotors they are only rusting where the brake pads have contacted the rotors.

That discoloration will come right off when you start riding the bike & using the brakes.

If you want to clean them before riding then use a fine non-ferrous Scotch Pad (like white or green) & some brake clean. Do not use any cleaning pads that contain steel or other ferrous metals (like steel wool) as that will deposit fine particles of rustable material in places that are not easy to clean & into places that the brakes pads won't sweep clean.

The old Car Talk show had a puzzle about this. If I remember correctly, someone was questioned by police, and told them he hadn't driven his car for a week. They looked at the rotors, which were lightly rusted, and decided his story was true.

Is clean now. I use copper coated scrubbing pads and natural vinegar. It clean very well, The bike seat two night outside in the rain with only a half-cover that protects only the top. Yes, I am in Baytown, TX right now, close to salty water. Getting ready to ride back to Spring, TX. Rode the bike here Friday night in heavy rain and the bike is a mess now.