IGNORED

R1100gs poss hes issue ?

Mcflyindbay

Hi,

I have had the bike for around a year and 6 months ago after not using for a week and very wet it cut out for about 15 minutes and then started, which allowed me to continue.. I did the usual and it looked to be a poss hes problem... My bad did not diagnose further and commuted for the last 6 months.

Over the Christmas period i did not use as was off.. 10 mins into my commute in (-6 and wet), loss of power and engine died and would not come back to life..

I charged the battery up over the weekend and the bike started but any throttle input would kill the engine immediately.

I ran out of time and the next day the bike would not start at all, there was spark from both plugs and I removed both injectors, One was working and the other not....

I reseated and wd40'd the connectors and did stuff!!!

The engine fired up but just idling, both injectors are fine again but any throttle input kills the bike..

I did notice The tacho doing a jump or two which from reading other posts points to The hes?

The odo reads 60+k and from what I have read its well past it's fail date (hes)

However, other posts imply ? That the engine will not start it the hes has failed, is this the case?

Thanks for reading, would appreciate any suggestions..

Edited by Mcflyindbay
Hi,

I have had the bike for around a year and 6 months ago after not using for a week and very wet it cut out for about 15 minutes and the starter and allowed me to continue.. I did the usual and it looked to be a poems hes problem... My bad did not diagnose further and commuted for the last 6 months.

Over the Christmas period i did not use as was off.. 10 mins into my commute in (-6 and wet), loss of power and engine died and would not come back to life..

I charged the battery up over the weekend and the bike started but any throttle input would kill the engine immediately.

I ran out of time and the next day the bike would not start at all, there was spark from both plugs and I removed both injectors, One was working and the other not....

I requested and wd40'd the connectors and did stuff!!!

The engine fired up but just idling, both injectors are fine again but any throttle input kills the bike again..

I did notice The tacho doing a jump or two which from reading other posts points to The hes?

The odo reads 60+k and from what I have read its well last it's fail date (hes)

However, other posts imply ? That the engine will not start it the hes has failed, is this the case?

Thanks for reading, would appreciate any suggestions..

Afternoon Mcflyindbay

Difficult to tell you much from your posting above as it doesn't include all the info needed to tell you for sure that you have an HES issue. (you might re-read your posting above then edit it to make more sense)

It does sort of point to a possible HES issue but also could point to a fuel flow problem (like split U shaped pressure hose inside the fuel tank or a plugged up fuel filter).

Your next move is probably to do a fuel return hose flow test as that will tell you IF your fuel supply system is up to the task.

Disconnect the fuel return hose (or disconnect the quick disconnect then hold the inner check valve open if your bike has been converted to quick disconnects) then run the fuel pump & see if you are getting a pencil sized stream of fuel flowing from the fuel return hose coming from the rear of bike.

If you at getting a decent fuel return flow then your fuel supply side is probably OK so next look to the HES as the problem. On an old 1100 bike the HES (wiring) should be replaced even if is currently working as it WILL QUIT at some point.

Added: if you have recently dropped the bike on the L/H side then you might look at your TPS sensor (mounted on the L/H throttle body). The TPS is kind of exposed on the GS so it can get damaged in a L/H side fall.

Edited by dirtrider

Thank you dirtrider, yes agree that was confusing! Autocorrect and me not reading though!

I will try the fuel return as you suggested, it just so happens i have a new fuel filter so will do it all at once..

Not sure if you should put wd40 on the electrical connectors of the injectors...

Usually, when the HES unit fails, the bike will not start at all, there is no spark and no fuel squirt.

But you can get your plate done, and have one less worry when riding the bike.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, replaced the wires to the he s and although they were sort of ok they were showing cracks and deterioration like is what is described in many of the posts.

No luck though.

Bike idles fine from cold at around 1000 rpm. When it gets to temperature it does die and is not so easy to start up again.

Any throttle input what do ever and the engine dies.

I reset the monotonic and the tried the throttle / tps sensor reset but no luck.

Bizarrely my charge light is always on now so don't know if that is related.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, replaced the wires to the he s and although they were sort of ok they were showing cracks and deterioration like is what is described in many of the posts.

No luck though.

Bike idles fine from cold at around 1000 rpm. When it gets to temperature it does die and is not so easy to start up again.

Any throttle input what do ever and the engine dies.

I reset the monotonic and the tried the throttle / tps sensor reset but no luck.

Bizarrely my charge light is always on now so don't know if that is related.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Morning Mcflyindbay

No TPS reset on the BMW 1100 (Ma 2.2) bikes.

How did the fuel return flow test turn out?

On your charging light?-- Have you re-checked the alternator belt for still being on the crankshaft & alternator pulley's & having proper tension? I presume that you had the belt off when you did the HES repair.

Edited by dirtrider