IGNORED

Do RT-Ps have a locking sidestand or a parking brake?

Bill_Walker

I was riding my bicycle yesterday during our latest Santa Ana wind driven heat wave, and as I was riding up a moderate grade, I noticed a Sheriff's motor on the other side of the street, stopped writing a ticket. It was parked on the sidestand, facing downhill, and I could hear the engine running. I was wondering if it was going to roll off the sidestand, and then I wondered whether it might have a locking sidestand, or else some kind of parking brake, for these situations. It was a wethead RT-P, but I don't think this question is specific to wetheads.

Well, hill control will certainly hold it stopped with engine running on a hill. The question is, does this work when you put down the sidestand?

The CHP specified a locking stand in the older RT-P's.

it went down like normal, locked, then to retract, you stepped on it pushing down to clear a detent then you could retract.

Many out of state agencies chose the option as well .

It's very possible that the newest RT-P's have that as an option for when Ca. comes to their senses and goes back to the BMW and pursuits can be authorized again.

I was riding my bicycle yesterday during our latest Santa Ana wind driven heat wave, and as I was riding up a moderate grade, I noticed a Sheriff's motor on the other side of the street, stopped writing a ticket. It was parked on the sidestand, facing downhill, and I could hear the engine running. I was wondering if it was going to roll off the sidestand, and then I wondered whether it might have a locking sidestand, or else some kind of parking brake, for these situations. It was a wethead RT-P, but I don't think this question is specific to wetheads.

Afternoon Bill

Darn good question.

The older RT-P definitely had locking side stands but I can't seem to find anything relating to the newer RT-P WC having locking side stands.

All I have in my 1200 RT-P WC (Police Bike) information is the below--

"Side Stand:

The side stand is designed to hold the motorcycle on grades up to 9 percent without rolling off the stand, though you should always stop the engine when parked. The auxiliary battery system is designed to allow police accessories including emergency lights to operate during violator stops with the engine “off”, ensuring that the engine will restart after the violator stop.

When circumstances require, it is advised that the rider utilize the “parking brake”, which is stopping the engine while in gear, which will enable the motor to remain on the stand with engine “off” on much steeper grades without rolling off the stand.

Caution: The stand is designed to support the weight of the motorcycle while parked, not to support the additional weight of the officer mounting the motorcycle, particularly from the “low” side. Placing additional stress on the stand by mounting on the low side may cause damage to the side stand or the frame which would not be covered by the new motorcycle limited warranty"

The side stand is designed to hold the motorcycle on grades up to 9 percent without rolling off the stand,

Well, it was definitely less than a 9 percent grade, so I guess he was OK, although operating contrary to recommendations. I looked at the parts fiche and couldn't find a different stand for the RT-P, either.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

KZ1000 P bikes had a locking sidestand. My RT fell over due to brain fart in the slight grade driveway I have when I left it in neutral and put my hand on the grip to mount from the high side. It doesn't take much.

The '15 Authorities parts list doesn't list one, but I'm sure one will be developed or there is one on the "shelf" when bidding opens up again for CHP.

There is one listed for 11-14.

46 53 2 163 681

New Locking Side Stand Complete