IGNORED

Sargent seat

Long tooth rider

Long tooth rider

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sargent seat for my 2015 1200rt, I've tried an airhawk cushion and it seems to work well. Is the Sargent seat worth spending the money?

It really depends on your rump.

A Sargent will certainly be better than a stock seat (that's a pretty low bar). Beyond that everyone will have an opinion. Mine is to buy the best seat your budget can afford. For me the best option was a Russell. I've tried Sargent a couple times on a couple bikes, each time I regretted not spending a little more for the Russell.

I hated the seat on both my RT's. I know hate is a strong word, but it's true. I ended up going to Russel in Mt. Shasta, CA. I couldn't be happier. All day comfort. They are taller, I sit differently, and I am on my toes at stop signs. I think they are different than all other saddles. We are going to Switzerland later this year to ride the Alps on rented bikes. I'm tempted to bring my Russel along if there is room in the luggage. I would strongly recommend Russel.

30 day money back guarantee. I've had them on my last 3 bikes. Not perfect but 100 times better than stock . I did 1200 miles in one day on my 04 RT with one.

It's all subjective:

Some like Sergeant's, some like Corbins, some like Russell Day Longs, some like Bill Mayer's, some like stock seats, some like airhawk, some like sheepskin, some like beads, some like Rich's custom seats, some like........., then again, some don't like one or all of the above. It's like asking "I'm thinking of getting some Sam Adams Utopias is it worth spending the extra $$?"

I've got a Corbin, it's been under my butt for 102000 miles, same seat, same bike. It's garaged at night but in the weather during the day as I'm a daily rider and the seat's holding up fine. It's a bit harder, but once settled in, sits just fine.

I've had both Sargent and Russell and would say the Russell Day Long is all that and a bag of chips. that isn't to say the Sargent is a damn good saddle. A couple of aspects of the Sargent I really liked.

1- You don't have to give up your stock seat for the seat pans which has two benefits. You could sell your stock seats to someone who wants to go to a custom seat builder, like Russell, to defray the cost. Or, hang onto the seat and if you sell your bike can sell the Sargent saddle separately to better maximize the resell.

2- I really like how Sargent retains the stock look and integrates the OEM locks and seat heat control

YRMV

Dennis Andress

You can have a custom seat made by Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA for about the cost of a Sargent. They're just a few miles from the ferry terminal.

Just in case anybody interested:

https://airhawk.net/product-category/seats/

Pricey, but maybe is worth it. I just re-shaped the bench seat on my RT, and added a gel pad.

Only had a few short rides with it, but tend to believe will work for me. Have a low Sargent.

Is better than stock, and a AirHawk pad makes it even better. But have to remove it all the

time when park, cause the pad changes ownership in a hurry!!

I love, LOVE I say my Sargent seat. I'm on my second and I've bought both seats USED! Prior to the Sargent, I had a Russel made for me and hated it. Just not my style. To be sure, I'm in the minority on the Russel seat verdict. I even sent it back for a modification. No dice. Been gather dust ever since. I guess I should sell it.

Best of luck. If you know someone near you that has one, see if you can trade for a day or week.

Let us know how it goes!

FWIW I ordered a new Sargent saddle for my RTW but found it too hard and not shaped right for me -- but no problem because Sargent takes returns no questions asked. There are lots of saddles out there and everyone has a favorite. The best for me is my custom BMS leather saddle. Fits me perfectly AND looks great.

Here's a link to a seat thread that might be helpful, where several riders offered good input (as many have here). But additionally, a stunningly handsome, likable, talented poster - complete with chiseled body to die for - and ya know, a heck of a nice guy :ohboy: ESPN thinks so . . .Kingpin :rofl:

- posted comparison pictures of Stock, Sargent and Russell seats that might be helpful.

Sargent Seat thread

Bought and sold the Russell Day Long, didn't like higher seating position.

Bought and sold a Sergeant it was ok.

I like the stock seat, and the position it puts me in. More comfortable with riding pants on, than just jeans.

Edited by Boone60

I've had an RDL seat for several years now on my 1100RT. The seat was high for a long time, but it has settled down and squished a little. I don't feel like the seat is too high now at all.

I've had an RDL seat for several years now on my 1100RT. The seat was high for a long time, but it has settled down and squished a little. I don't feel like the seat is too high now at all.

Mine was broken in by previous owner, so already broke in for me and in great condition too !

My first long ride today was great, no looking back.

I may invest in a set of barbacks, will give it some time and see ?

The color on that RDL goes very nicely with your bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

The color on that RDL goes very nicely with your bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

Yes, I got lucky on the seat deal for sure. Lovin it !

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sargent seat for my 2015 1200rt, I've tried an airhawk cushion and it seems to work well. Is the Sargent seat worth spending the money?

My personal experience with the Sargent seat is positive, when traveling it is normal for me to be in the saddle for twelve hours with an occasional sixteen hour day . I installed one on my 14RT after putting 20,000 miles on the stock seat and now have over 72,000 miles on the Sargent seat and it performs the same now as when it was new. Excellent quality seat for a reasonable price, (I didn't get the heated version) there is also a thirty day return policy if you don't like it , so I'd suggest that you buy one and do several long hall days and see if you like it, if you don't return it and get your money back.

Little known but the best seat I've every had.

Kontour Seats

The day after I got it, I rode west to the MOA rally in Redmond. Did a SS 1000 ride on it without thinking about the seat.

Sadly, I sold it with the bike I had at the time. :dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap:

Currently have a Sargent on my R 1150 R. It's ok. I do have an Alaskan Leather sheepskin on it.

Airhawks are nice if you don't fill them too hard.

For me, a 2x4 on edge with foam on the top would be better than a stock seat. :whistle:

Edited by Bud

The OEM seat on my LC RT was awful, after an hour I couldn't stand it. Bought a Sargent and it was a world of difference. OEM seat on my GSA was actually not bad, I put several 300-400 mile days on it. Put a Sargent on it anyway and am glad I did. I use a BeadRider on top, it's surprisingly comfortable and the underseat ventilation prevents monkey butt.

I've used an AirHawk and it's a good product when not overfilled - which is surprisingly easy to do. It likes to be at a constant altitude. Riding in the mountain west, if you set it before you leave (say, 5,000 feet) you'll feel like you're sitting on a beachball when you're going over a 10,000 foot pass. Even 1000 feet elevation change you can tell the difference.

I called Russell to talk about an RDL and they recommended against it FOR ME. I'm vertically challenged (29" inseam) and even on a factory lowered GSA I'm on the balls of my feet at a stop. Based on our discussion they thought I wouldn't be comfortable at a stop because of the extra height. Bummer for me, but kudos to them for walking away from a $500+ sale (and an unsatisfied customer)

Edited by WBinDE

That's great customer service! Don't often hear of a business these days refusing a sale because the know their product is not suitable for an application. :clap: