IGNORED

Can I make ign key from side case lock?

BMWBobby

I see that the side case lock cylinder has one empty slot for a tumbler/plate at the end of the key. Does this slot space get used for the ignition lock cylinder?

Thanks,

Bob

2004 R1150RT

Canyon Country, CA

The ignition only uses a little spring and pin in the last hole to keep tumbler from coming out. The rest use the lower plate.

If you can turn the ignition to the ON position , you can use a paperclip to push spring out of the way and the tumbler will come out and you can then modify it.

Mark

I see that the side case lock cylinder has one empty slot for a tumbler/plate at the end of the key. Does this slot space get used for the ignition lock cylinder?

Thanks,

Bob

2004 R1150RT

Canyon Country, CA

Morning Bob

I haven't ever tried it but I think the actual lock cylinder length's are different so I don't see how they could interchange in their fitment or usage.

If you decide to try it then make darn sure that you will have access to the retaining wafer once the lock barrel is installed (or partially installed) --if you can't access the retaining wafer then you might not get it back out if it doesn't fit correctly.

I'm sure it won't fit, too long, but FYI, the empty slot , next to the locking wafer, when it has a wafer installed actually locks the key in. The key then cannot be removed without removing the cylinder by depressing the lock wafer through an external port then removing the wafer and spring.

Some of the LE agencies would request that and use the wallet keys in the bags to quickly access the ticket book or other items.

The key head is very small and to most non-bmw motorcycle people the saddlebag operation is confusing anyway so there was little chance of anyone stealing a ticket book or the Officers bottle of Gatorade.

Having the key locked in placed also prevented the key or the motorcycle from being swiped by someone who figured out that it was a key, not a lock knob.