IGNORED

Brake Controller Repair Update

AnotherLee

iABS (ABS3) controller repair update.

Info I hope will be of general interest - quoted with permission.

Bikes involved: list here: *LINK*

You've been added to the waiting list! Here's the latest update-

Happy New Year everyone and thank you for hanging in there while we developed a rebuild service for the iABS! In short we're done testing and we're waiting on parts to be finished and delivered. Here's the breakdown-

Q: What's been done?

A: Seals, fasteners and pump hardware have been produced. These parts as well as pressure sensors and motors have been tested and approved.

Q: What's left to do?

A: Get motors, pressure sensors and pressure sensor transducer IC's manufactured.

Q: How long will that take?

A: Each part has a different time frame. We're still trying to get more exact dates from the manufacturers. Here's where they were at as of the end of December.

Motors: Mid March

Pressure sensor transducer IC's: Potentially April. There weren't enough of these available in the USA, so they had to be ordered manufacturer direct with a 16 week lead time. These have been purchased and we're trying to see if the factory can get them produced sooner.

Pressure sensors: Originally told by the manufacturer they would arrive in December. Currently seeking a status update

Q: What's going to happen before the parts arrive?

A: We'll be finishing up our tooling for rebuilding the modules, writing up information for iABS instructions and will begin to pre-build the cores we've acquired. Also, we'll be producing a document of pre-ship information that will include what to remove, how to remove it and how to package the module. Info sheets will also be made detailing recommendations on re-installing, brake fluid type, batteries, bleed procedures, cleaning products (there will be messes) and what to do with problems on re-install. We will try to have these documents available to the waiting list folks before the rebuilds begin.

Q: How much will the rebuild cost when it's available?

A: $750 It will also include our 5-year warranty.

Q: What will the rebuild include when it's available?

A: New motors, new pumps, new pump seals (as well as other various seals), various new fasteners, new pressure sensors and a rebuilt electronic control unit. The unit will also be completely dismantled, cleaned, rebuilt and then tested (full hydraulic and electronic test).

Q: Will a core exchange be available?

A: Uncertain. We do have cores and intend to offer an exchange at some point but have not worked out any of the details yet. The non CAN-bus cores should be easy to exchange, but the CAN bus cores may require coding. We'll be doing more research to make the process as easy as possible.

A big thanks again to everyone who's been waiting. Updates will come every two weeks or so. We'll try and include some pictures of the process and things we encounter as we move forward.

Sincerely,

The ModuleMaster Team

Module Master / Circuit Solutions

www.modulemaster.com

2006 S Main

Moscow, ID 83843

Andy said: So, the bottom line is......we're still waiting.

Andy, that's true. It seems from your point of view the glass appears half empty; from my point of view it's half full. :dance:

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but to AndyS's point, my recollection is this is not the first time MM has said they thought they would be ready to rebuild the units sooner rather than later. I'm certainly not saying they are being deceptive in any way, but perhaps - in the past and maybe now? - they have been overly optimistic.

It will be great to hear the announcement that they're ready to receive failed units for rebuild :)

I'll jump in and give my experience with Module Master. The ABS failed on my 2002 1150RT at about 60,000 miles. I can't remember the mileage for sure. I sent the unit to MM and rode the bike with non-ABS brakes for more than a year. About a year or two later I received the ABS unit back from MM completely refurbished with a warranty. It was easy to re-install as I had not cut any wires nor done anything irreversible to the brake system. It worked like a charm and was worth the money, even though it did take a long time. I must say, however, I really liked the feel of the non-ABS brakes during the time the ABS unit was being repaired. If it weren't for the safety factor, I would have gladly left it out.

Al

• 2 months later...
April iABS Update - Apr 4, 2018

Spring is here and we're sure you're all anxious to get your iABS module rebuilt! Here's the latest:

Q: What's been done since the last update?

A: A small run of pressure sensors have been produced (the rest will be produced by May) and the pressure sensor transducer IC's have been produced.

Q: What's left to do?

A: Motors

Q: Weren't those supposed to be finished in March?

A: Yes. However after three months of silence, the motor manufacturer informed us that one of their component suppliers went out of business and that they were unable to find someone that would produce the quantities we need.

Q: Oh great, so now what?

A: We upped the purchased quantities and brought the production of the motor part in house to assemble here.

Q: O.K., so another year of delay?

A: We certainly hope not! The manufacturer is stating June.

Q: That sounds like more work, is the rebuild price going up?

A: No, the rebuild price of $750 remains.

Q: Can I send my module in yet?

A: Soon! We'll send out another notification when we're ready to start accepting pre-builds.

We're also going to be closing off the waiting list May 7. This will ensure we'll have parts and time to get everyone on the waiting list taken care of before the rebuild goes official on the website. After that point, anyone not on the list will have to wait until the service is official (probably July-ish)

Thanks again for hanging in there and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Sincerely,

The ModuleMaster Team

--

Module Master / Circuit Solutions

www.modulemaster.com

2006 S Main

Moscow, ID 83843

With all respect to everyone concerned, this horse left the barn a decade ago. That said, if MM will pay me for my worthless iABS unit sitting in a tub in my garage, I will oblige.

Haha, Me too. They have been stringing people along since the early 2000's. Pretty unimpressed. They should just say they don't repair them....until they do. Leaving folk dangling with this 'hope' as a carrot is not good.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a bit hesitant to point out that a complete rebuild/ refurbish service already exists in Europe, and the firm has been repairing / renewing / replacing faulty BMW motorcycle and car ABS units for years..

The firm is called rhelectronics.de and is led by the expert Rainer Hütterer.

They do actually trade with the rest of the world outside Germany - including, would-you-believe, the United States....why not check their website ?

https://rhelectronics.de/

Look at the top right-hand corner of the website and choose your language - probably English.....

Edited by Alan Sykes
I feel a bit hesitant to point out that a complete rebuild/ refurbish service already exists in Europe, and the firm has been repairing / renewing / replacing faulty BMW motorcycle and car ABS units for years..

They do actually trade with the rest of the world outside Germany - including, would-you-believe, the United States....why not check their website ?

Look at the top right-hand corner of the website and choose your language - probably English.....

Thanks for the link! I don't need a rebuild (yet), but I am collecting options in case I do someday.

It looks like BMW used the Bosch AM-01 controller. The rebuild is not cheap, but than half the cost of a $2800 BMW replacement.

Thanks for the link! I don't need a rebuild (yet), but I am collecting options in case I do someday.

It looks like BMW used the Bosch AM-01 controller. The rebuild is not cheap, but than half the cost of a $2800 BMW replacement.

Afternoon lkraus

The BMW 1150 I-ABS controller is an FTE not a Bosch.

Well, in looking through the RH Electronics site, I (mistakenly) guessed Bosch at one point, and eventually found what appears to be the correct unit at the link above. I may have forgotten an intermediate step or two. :ohboy:

AM-01 is apparently just RH's internal product designation for "ABS Motorcycle Type 1". The "Device Discovery" on the site sometimes gives slightly different results. At one point I saw the modulator as

TYPE AM01

ABS motorcycle

FTE

BMW approx. Year 2000-2006

Now I'm just seeing the FTE replaced with RTD - translation confusions, maybe?

The detailed description shows:

Device manufacturer RTD

Manufacturer Identification BMW Motorrad ABS III

Vehicle Make BMW

Models All BMW Motorcycles with Integral and Partial Integral ABS III (circa 2000-2006) R1100S, R1150R, R1150RS, R1150RT, R1150GS, K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200LT, K1200CL, R1200C, Montauk, R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, K1200R, K1200GT

Typical parts no. FTE, BMW Motorrad ABS III No .: FTE S2AB900-36, -37, -38, -39 and others

distinguishing Control unit with 2 electric motors (brake booster) for BMW Motorrad. Very large and heavy, device made entirely of aluminum with brake line quick-release buckles, 1 connector plastic. There are different versions of the housing eg aluminum injection molding or aluminum milled

The pictures show a couple variants on the basic unit, but this looks very close to my imperfect memory:

abs-esp-steuergeraet-motorrad-am1-1-wz-745x419.jpg

The description sounds right, but that photo doesn't look even close to my ABS II.

Morning Michaelr11

Your BMW ABS II (ABS 2) piston system is a completely different system compared to the BMW I-ABS (ABS III) servo pump system that is being talked about above.

You are correct DR - my eyes had a hard time seeing that it said ABS III (3), and not ABS II (2) which is what I thought was there.

• 11 months later...
Consigliero

Now I see that topic is from 2018 , I am mentally still in March 2018. So I am looking also for solution what to do with my unit, maybe second life kit will be fast repair for me. Today I should get email from this company mentioned above and we will see.