IGNORED

Wethead Tank bag

AndyS

So I got all excited when I saw that Bagster are producing a tank bra for the RTW. I've always used the Bagster/Baglux tank bags. So I just popped out to the garage to see how well my Baglux Raponggi would sit on the bike. Not a hope of it fitting. The bag needs to sit so far to the rear because otherwise it badly fouls the handlebars.

I have asked this on a few forums as I'd like to get a spread of experience.

So the question is: I want the largest tankbag that will fit nicely onto the tank. I don't want one of those little ones.

Look forward to learning from your experiences.

Andy, I am using the BMW tank bag for the R12RT-LW. It is ok, but rather small. I am not overly impressed.

It does not hold as much or expands as the factory tank bag on the previous 05-13 R12RT's.

The strap system is also a poor design.

Maybe the Wunderlich bag is bigger and fits with the handle bars.

Or checkout the RKA website, Richard's private bike is a R12RT-LC and he uses his own tank bags in his videos.

I had one of his older bags on my R11RT for over 100K miles and then used it for another 100K miles on the 07 R12RT.

This has been discussed before, so maybe you can look back. I had a BMW brand tank bags on my 09 and really liked it. So I bought the BMW bag for my new 2016, but did not like it for many reasons. So I shopped the crap out of it, and ended up with the Wunderlich bag. Is big, the map pocket is great. There is a full zipper so it's easy to get the map in, plus you can turn it over. And you can get a replacement map pocket if needed. Watch out for the left side pocket. If you fill it up the horn will honk when you turn the bar's. I just keep a couple of things in it, and they seem to stay put, so no problem. I'm happy with it.

This has been discussed before, so maybe you can look back. I had a BMW brand tank bags on my 09 and really liked it. So I bought the BMW bag for my new 2016, but did not like it for many reasons. So I shopped the crap out of it, and ended up with the Wunderlich bag. Is big, the map pocket is great. There is a full zipper so it's easy to get the map in, plus you can turn it over. And you can get a replacement map pocket if needed. Watch out for the left side pocket. If you fill it up the horn will honk when you turn the bar's. I just keep a couple of things in it, and they seem to stay put, so no problem. I'm happy with it.

I personally don't like a tank bag that interferes with the bars. The large ones are going to be a problem with that. How you use the tank bag is a personal decision, so size needs are different.

What I do highly recommend is getting a tank bag that attaches via a fuel cap ring. Won't be without one of those ever again!

For all of my riding years I have never used a tank bag with the fear that at some point it would scratch the tank ... I am OCD And way to anal for that !! Finally when I got the RTW with less storage space I began thinking of a tank bag. At the same time my 2 riding buddies bought the SW Motech fuel lock tank bag and DID NOT LIKE IT! Then they both switched to the Givi and loved it. Well I finally caved and bought the Givi bag and have to tell you I LOVE IT! I have the small size that holds all I need and does not interfere with anything. They make larger bags but the small one is perfect for me and the fuel lock mechanism works like a charm!

IMG_2137-XL.jpg

SWMotec works, no interference

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into SWMotec. But the bag you have is way too small for what I am after. Hopefully they will do something bigger. I'm not keen on the way the one in your picture seems to stick out unsupported from the rear of the fuel tank.

Edited by AndyS
SWMotec works, no interference

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into SWMotec. But the bag you have is way too small for what I am after. Hopefully they will do something bigger. I'm not keen on the way the one in your picture seems to stick out unsupported from the rear of the fuel tank.

Bottom of bag is very ridgid. Their attachment location is adjustable, front to back. Mine is positioned to allow handlebar to clear bag at full lock..

Yes ... the SW Motec bag systems works well and is a fine product. For me the Givi tank lock mechanism is just better designed and works easier. No pin to pull and no extra strap. The Givi has a simple slide lever and then just simply pops back on. It seems as though Givi just improved on the "good" SW Motec system and made it better but as always YMMV. Oh ... and since I wanted a small bag I liked the design, shape and size of the Givi small bag. But again I was looking for the smallest bag made.

That makes sense. Givi makes some nice products and we have their V47 topcases with their aluminum amounting plate. That plate looks like it came from the mothership itself it looks that good.

• 4 weeks later...
Colorado Jeff

Hi All, interested in the Givi ST602, but found this video that shows the bag easily disconnecting from the Tanklock.

Any of you experience this problem or can simulate it on your R12RT?

Edited by Colorado Jeff
Hi All, interested in the Givi ST602, but found this video that shows the bag easily disconnecting from the Tanklock.

I have not had that occur but I have the smallest Givi bag that weighs a lot less. But I will certainly keep a watch on mine from now on. Have 2 friends who have the same Givi system and I know they have never had an issue. I will go check mine though right now !!

Thanks for posting.

I tried my Givi after watching the video. Must be something amiss with the youtube posters mechanism, mine is plenty secure. I will also add that he did NOT have the recommended tether on his. I do run a tether and should it come loose for any reason, I won't be watching it in the mirror bounce along the road!

DSC01931_zpsoprw7q3v.jpg

DSC01927_zpsoleuwhkj.jpg

I did the same today. Went out and pulled pretty hard on my Givi and it was rock solid. Not sure what the issue was with the one in the video.

Well Moshe, even though I am a subscriber of MCN and always read your reviews, I somehow missed that one and ended up with the BMW bag.

How well does the Touratech bag stay attached? The BMW bags seems to constantly work itself loose and the rear velcro patch doesn't hold the bag firmly.

Personally I would have nothing to do with any tank bag that "touches" the tank. I still believe the Givi product is one of the best on the market. But YMMV

Well Moshe, even though I am a subscriber of MCN and always read your reviews, I somehow missed that one and ended up with the BMW bag.

How well does the Touratech bag stay attached? The BMW bags seems to constantly work itself loose and the rear velcro patch doesn't hold the bag firmly.

It's fine. No complaints. Very functional.

-MKL

Son put the Touratech on his Africa Twin and I was very impressed using it vs. the Givi, SW Motech, or BMW bags I've used in the past.

I have both the BMW OEM tank bag and the Low Profile Touratech p/n 047-5802.

The BMW bag is very nicely integrated into the bike and functions very well but as noted is not large. This can be a good thing as I'm not a fan of massive tank bags but if one wants lots of space the BMW may not fit the bill. What I did not care for is the map pocket like many is a bit small and does not come close to fitting a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Whether I'm using maps I print or folded maps I find myself driving off the page of these small map openings before I run out of fuel.

Keeping with the theme of not wanting a large or more specifically, a tall bag but wanting a larger map pocket I found the Touratech. The Touratech is very well made with a grippy yet protective bottom and though the integration is not quite as slick as the BMW bag, it is not too far off. Your can see the bag here: https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Low-Profile-Tankbag-BMW-R1200RT-2014-on, and mounting instructions here: https://cdn.touratech-usa.com/09-047-5802-0.pdf. This is not a little bag but does not have a large footprint either.

I've not had this tankbag on the RT yet but used the same one made for the K1600 on my GT a few times and it is an excellent bag. Secure mounting, easy on/off for fuel stops, good protection of the tank, great map window and big enough to be very useful and small enough to be out of the way.

I do like RKA products and they are of good quality. This bag is of higher quality in terms of materials and attachment points for this particular bike in my opinion.

I love the idea of the SW Motech or Givi Fuel Ring/Lock mount bags because it keeps the bag off the bike. On this bike I feared it would be too tall hence the low profile Touratech.

What I reach for more than anything is a simple map pocket: https://www.webbikeworld.com/roadgear-magnetic-tank-map-holder/. This particular company has been around for many years and makes both magnetic and non-magnetic pockets if one just cares about seeing a map to supplement the trusty GPS.

Edited by Ralphie

I thought Road Gear was gone some time ago?

The small Givi bag I have is the perfect size for me but then I am looking for a smaller bag. No interference at all

I thought Road Gear was gone some time ago?

The small Givi bag I have is the perfect size for me but then I am looking for a smaller bag. No interference at all

They may very well be gone. It has probably been two years or more since I grabbed my last map pocket from them. If they are indeed gone others can be available from Aerostich and Touratech. They don't seem quite as convenient as the Roadgear models but would get the job done.

I probably have a couple extra Road Gear strap on units if somebody wanted one. The last time I ordered I had a hard time finding them and worried GPS may making these items less necessary so I grabbed a handful. I know I gave a few to buddies but should have at least a couple of extra.

I am looking for a smaller bag, enough for a camera, water bottle, emergency pump and patch kit. Anyone using the Wunderlich Elephant Tour bag? It's the 7 or 8 liter size.

Edited by hmfriedman
I am looking for a smaller bag, enough for a camera, water bottle, emergency pump and patch kit. Anyone using the Wunderlich Elephant Tour bag? It's the 7 or 8 liter size.

I think I replied about the Wunderlich bag already. I'm happy with mine. I like the map pocket, it's big, zips way open, it's 2 sided, removable so I can bring it inside to put maps in, and you can buy a replacement separately. There is a bungee cord lace work under the map pocket, and I use it all the time for extra gloves. It's expandable, but I've never done that. Easy on and off for gas filling. It has a cover to mount the thing that ptotects the tank. Just don't load up the left pocket too much or you horn will honk when you turn the bars!

I think I replied about the Wunderlich bag already. I'm happy with mine. I like the map pocket, it's big, zips way open, it's 2 sided, removable so I can bring it inside to put maps in, and you can buy a replacement separately. There is a bungee cord lace work under the map pocket, and I use it all the time for extra gloves. It's expandable, but I've never done that. Easy on and off for gas filling. It has a cover to mount the thing that ptotects the tank. Just don't load up the left pocket too much or you horn will honk when you turn the bars!

I could be wrong, but think you're talking about their bigger bag. I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/40980100-101.html