IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Indy Dave

What a great and enthusiastic start to the New Year! If you're considering joining us - and yes, you should be :old::dance: , please make your reservations. We've had to expand our block of standard rooms and standard rooms are getting tight for 4 night stays and Fri & Sat. I'm waiting to hear back the precise numbers of standard rooms that are currently available. You can register at NO RISK to you, as long as you cancel by 2pm 2 days prior to your arrival. WHAT A DEAL, 'eh' (Marcopolo)? We have Kinsley to thank for arranging the generous cancellation policy! :bike::read:

I'll get us caught up on the Who's going tally shortly, first I'm off for my first ride of 2018. Remember, we keep the event info on the first page and update it as needed.

Was hoping to make reservation... But online says no availability. Will try calling tomorrow. Looking like I'll be able to manage this trip even with the new job!!

** FIRST THINGS FIRST~ Had my first ride of 2018 Through Bitter Winds and Stormy Skies today. Those of you following at home feel free to mix a beverage of your choice in celebration of this minor milestone.

But I digress . . .

Well . . . How did I miss all these posts? Or more to the point, how many pain meds were in my system when I saw them?! Did I see them?!? So many questions. . . . :old: Apologies for for not acknowledging the posts, which seem to have multiplied like rabbits :ohboy::whistle::dontknow: Anyway, lets see how many sign-ups have there been since . .. uhh .... errr...let's see, carry the one... and ummm TEN sign ups from here and a couple others arrived via the downlow :clap::beer:

The good news is that the hip replacement is great and no more pain meds :computer:, so I guess I need to get back at it. Now where's my drink?!

Oldironken, OoPEZoO, hANNABONE(!), rogera, Tasker, LeBill and Chris k > Welcome and glad you can join us! I think you'll find you'll feel right at home and we look forward to seeing all of you - some for the first time and some others we've already had the pleasure of meeting and knowing :clap:

I've updated the attendance slide on the first page of the thread, and also posted it here below. Unless there is a special announcement, sign up updates are updated on the second slide on the first page. ALSO Standard Rooms are getting tight, so if you're on the fence, you may want to consider firming up a room and if things don't work out, you have plenty of time to cancel.

I'm not sure which days some of you are arriving, so I've made my best guess based on your geographic area. If I've got it wrong - SUCK IT UP, BUTTERFCUP shoot me a PM and I'll take care of it. If I'm proficient at anything, it's misappropriating a few riders every year. :dontknow::computer: You can thank me in your declining years for helping to keep your mind limber and reading skills sharp! :shake::facepalm:

This is going to be a great year and Kinsley and I are working on a few surprises for Blowing Rock. Happy New Year to one and all. See you soon!

2018%20START%20Blowing%20rock%20attending%20rev%20jan%2010%20b.jpg

Edited by workin' them angels
Was hoping to make reservation... But online says no availability. Will try calling tomorrow. Looking like I'll be able to manage this trip even with the new job!!

Happy New Year Shannon! They have added some rooms as of today. But, yes, give them a call. I will follow up with them as well to be sure they update the web interface.

You can slide me over to the OUT category. On the good side family vacation is Hawaii this year. I get to take my son to Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial.

Woo Hoo! :clap::wave:

With the Unicorns still on my bike, perhaps I will be able to ride more than 23 miles???????

You can slide me over to the OUT category. On the good side family vacation is Hawaii this year. I get to take my son to Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial.

Sorry to miss seeing you again, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Have a great trip!

JOHN!! Man, I've been saving this for your confirmed arrival date.

Enjoy the Islands and eat some Macadamia Nuts for me.

little%20john.jpg

** FIRST THINGS FIRST~ Had my first ride of 2018 Through Bitter Winds and Stormy Skies today. Those of you following at home feel free to mix a beverage of your choice in celebration of this minor milestone.

You are a tougher man than I am. Glad to hear you are progressing so well.

JOHN!! Man, I've been saving this for your confirmed arrival date.

Enjoy the Islands and eat some Macadamia Nuts for me.

little%20john.jpg

WOW I am famous I have a road named after me!

What ever you do, don't buy the SPAM flavored Macadamia nuts. My sister almost killed me with this years gag gift from Hawaii. GAG is the operative word!

What ever you do, don't buy the SPAM flavored Macadamia nuts. My sister almost killed me with this years gag gift from Hawaii. GAG is the operative word!

Why would you even try one of those?

Worthy excuse to miss START '18! I had a fantastic 4 year Navy tour in Hawaii and returned 6 years later for my retirement ceremony on the Arizona Memorial.

Our host hotel has added all of their remaining standard double queen rooms to our reservation block. :clap: The web interface isn't reflecting the additional rooms yet, but that should be corrected soon. Please advise if you run into issues reserving your rooms.

As usual, I'm late to the party,

I'm In, will be arriving on Thursday and rooming with Ken M. Looking forward to seeing most of you. 😉

I'm In, will be arriving on Thursday and rooming with Ken M. Looking forward to seeing most of you. 😉

You're not looking forward to seeing everyone? :grin:

Argh, late scheduling attempts on my part will not permit me to make this one...

At least i'm thinking about it more proactively about future ones and will plan accordingly.

Steve - you're not late at all, plenty of time and we're glad to have you. Most of us anyway :whistle:

Argh, late scheduling attempts on my part will not permit me to make this one...

At least i'm thinking about it more proactively about future ones and will plan accordingly.

Ken - Booo!! I hope scheduling will change and you'll be freed up to join us this Spring. If not, no doubt you'll be ready for a good FART in the Fall and can plan to join us then!

Fantastic Stephen - glad you can join us. Great road choices on your way down (if you have the extra time).

Hey All, I'm still a bit on the fence about whether I'll be able to make this one due to the new gig... But, in the event I can make it, I'd sure like to save the $20/night and get a standard room as opposed to paying for one of the suites (per the website, there are no standard rooms available as of this evening.)

So, if anybody who has a standard room reserved finds out they're not going to make it, would you be kind enough to PM me and let me know so I can try to snag the reservation?

Thanks!! :wave:

Edited by TN_R11_Girl
I am in

Arriving late (10pm) Thursday evening

Fantastical Randy! :Yes::dance: Glad you'll be joining us - Blowing Rock will be here before we know it!

Lone_RT_rider
I am in

Arriving late (10pm) Thursday evening

Please don't bring your work computer. :) I'd really like to be able to talk to Chris on this trip. :rofl:

Good News Bad News Bud. Glad you're going to get your hip fixed, it'll be good as new! Sad to not have you join our (mostly) Merry Band of Riders - but there are plenty of opportunities in this Young Riding Year to show off you new parts and bike. :clap::bike::beer::old:

In, reservation made for a suite. Arriving Thursday afternoon, meeting one of my old homies from FL there.

Hey you northeast guys, how do you get down there without slogging down I-81?

Matt - Great news, so pleased your new location will allow you to join us. Looking forward to learning what interesting roads you find avoiding I-81. :revit::thumbsup:

Hey you northeast guys, how do you get down there without slogging down I-81?

It depends on how much time you have and or how long you ride each day. If you want to go quick there is no other way.

I have a few ideas call me.

Ok, reservations made....had to get the suite...so if anyone plans on canceling and have a normal room, please let me know via PM so I can downgrade my room.

Wow! I must need to go outside and look at the night sky - The Stars are lining up nicely for START! Still missing some Banditos though . . . Mile - glad you're making START and FART a habit my friend! :clap:

I still plan on coming Dave,but I can't decide to ride my BMW or my new moto Guzzi stelvio I just bought.If I ride it I hope nobody will chases me away.

I still plan on coming Dave,but I can't decide to ride my BMW or my new moto Guzzi stelvio I just bought.If I ride it I hope nobody will chases me away.

Mark - The Stelvio is a SaaweeeeT :burnout: bike my friend!! Bring it! Offer rides on the back for $5 :bike: Bring whatever you want, you're always welcome. In fact, Might Could Be you'll have keep your eye out for those Cocky KTM riders - they've been multiplying like Wabbits this Winter. :stir::lurk:

Glad things are going well, but I don't feel sorry feel sorry that you have such a tough decision to make! :wave:

ok, sorry but I ALWAYS bring my work computer, part of my job description. But I feel confident after almost 3 years of riding since that incident and never a lost item since then, that you are safe :-)

Lone_RT_rider
ok, sorry but I ALWAYS bring my work computer, part of my job description. But I feel confident after almost 3 years of riding since that incident and never a lost item since then, that you are safe :-)

:rofl:

Unfortunately I am out. 6 broken ribs and a separated shoulder has me sidelined for awhile. If miraculously I heal by then I will try and show up.

Alan

Unfortunately I am out. 6 broken ribs and a separated shoulder has me sidelined for awhile. If miraculously I heal by then I will try and show up.

Alan

Oh My! Heal well.

Terry

Lone_RT_rider

Alan

Dude.... that's like 2.5 month's away. What if we drop buy and get the GS to the bottom of the mountain for you? Granted, we might start it up, put it in gear and shove it down the mountain but we will get it there for you!! :D

Alan

Ouch!

Hope you heal quickly and that you have an interesting story to tell or lie about! :grin:

Alan

So sorry to hear. Heal quickly my friend.

Alan

Your wife packs quite the punch!

Get well soon, Alan.

Alan - So sorry to hear this! While your wife may pack a punch, I know you're in great hands while healing up! I know a thing or two about great spousal nursing and support and so I know something of what I speak (unlike most times).

Best wishes for healing well and quickly.

Alan

Yikes! Heal up my friend.

Alan

Wow Alan! I feel for you... Your entertainment value will be missed unless you'd still consider coming in the cage.

Heal well and heal as fast as you ride.

Keith

Alan

WTH?!? Oh Alan! That's awful... what in the world happened???