IGNORED

New Goldwing anyone?

TEWKS

Really? I wasn't aware of that. So they expect someone to spend $25 to $30 large before they even have a chance to find out how they like it? :dopeslap:

Heck of a marketing ploy. :grin:

I guess the one big outstanding issue I have where i am is no Honda dealers allow test rides of anything

Thats one of the things that led me to BMW. I was 26 and shopping specifically for a bike to handle a cross country trip we were planning. My local dealers selling the Japanese bikes wouldn't allow any sort of test rides, even on an old busted up KLR650 one of them had sitting there. I don't know if they didn't think I was serious, my age, or their policy, but it really turned me off. I walked into my local BMW shop and the sales guy said first thing......"Let me know if there is anything you would like to ride". We chatted for a few minutes and I ended up coming back that weekend and literally spent the whole day out riding different bikes they had. Some used, some new. I almost bought a new R1150R on the spot, but I was a little concerned about the lack of leg room. I ended up buying a used 1100RT from someone here instead, but I never would have been exposed to the brand at all if it wasn't for that dealer. Same goes for my local Harley dealer. I can't even get in and out from the parts counter without them offering me a test ride. Every single time.

I did have one very small local Kawasaki dealer that offered me a test ride a few years ago when the Versys 650 came out, but then mentioned one of the sales staff would lead me on another bike on their "prefered route". I passed.

That is a good idea, looks a lot like what Josh & Co. (szurszewski) have been doing the past year. I think that bakery thing was just an excuse. :grin:

Now with all that electronic wizardry going on,
;)

Pat

You'll notice that nearly all the people in that Honda video are noticeably younger than today's typical GW rider (the exception being the token black guy with grey in his beard). I think it's clear where Honda is aiming this sleeker, lighter, better-handling Wing.

Funny, given prior discussion in this thread of the lack of test rides, that the tag line on this ad is "If you don't ride one, you'll never understand what it's about." I foresee a great lack of understanding.

• 2 months later...
Now with all that electronic wizardry going on,
;)

Pat

You'll notice that nearly all the people in that Honda video are noticeably younger than today's typical GW rider (the exception being the token black guy with grey in his beard). I think it's clear where Honda is aiming this sleeker, lighter, better-handling Wing.

I think you are spot on Bill. In reading other sources, some Wing Dingers have bitterly complained about the reduction in case sizes and passenger space. That's important to the traditional GW touring couple. If mama's not happy, you ain't getting a new Wing.

Of everything in the review, this stood out to me:

"It can take some practice to get the various volume controls in the system all properly balanced since you have a volume for the phone, siri volume, navigation volume, headset audio system volume, phone microphone volume, external speaker volume, and a separate volume on each Bluetooth communicator on your headset. "

7 different devices that each have to have their volume adjusted? Distracted riding???

Heck, just get in an Accord and make motorcycle noises if you have to! :whistle:

Had a 2016 F6b. Doesn't hold a candle to my 2014 R1200RTW. There's a difference between big and ponderous. Just my opinion.

Geoff

Dennis Andress
Wow....

picture16.png

Great review

New heads up display in a fighter jet????

:grin:

My F150 has about that much "Infotainment" to display. Took awhile to get familiar enough to know what I need to deal with and how, and what I can ignore.

I have coffee with a bunch of "old guys". I'm the youngest at 71. So one of the guys who is 84 was complaining the other day that he didn't know how to "work" his car.

Too much "infotainment" and not enough "info".

It may be just me, but I've always thought that riding a bike demanded more attention on my part that driving a car/truck. :dontknow:

Edited by Bud
Of everything in the review, this stood out to me:

"It can take some practice to get the various volume controls in the system all properly balanced since you have a volume for the phone, siri volume, navigation volume, headset audio system volume, phone microphone volume, external speaker volume, and a separate volume on each Bluetooth communicator on your headset. "

7 different devices that each have to have their volume adjusted? Distracted riding???

Heck, just get in an Accord and make motorcycle noises if you have to! :whistle:

funny thing, I told my dealer something similar. As in if I wanted an inline six in a BMW I would buy a 5 series.

Too much "infotainment" and not enough "info". It may be just me, but I've always thought that riding a bike demanded more attention on my part that driving a car/truck. :dontknow:

This is exactly how I feel about some of the gizmos you can get on bikes these days and I'm not just talking about the new Wings but the RT and others as well. Just to be clear, I am a technophile and love all manner of new gadgets but I have never desired a radio on a bike. Nor have I wanted, or felt I needed, change-on-the-fly suspension or GPS/Trip computers. I typically plan my riding, as opposed to driving, in advance (I treat riding more like getting a flight plan put together). These things have a place of course but many can be very distracting. I can't imagine using Carplay (never mind that I feel jilted as an Android user...haha) or having to ask Siri to look something up for me while I'm riding. "Hey Siri, who won the game tonight?" is not something I'd ever need to know while hitting the perfect corner apex. I can definitely see how I might need to be loaded in an ambulance (or a hearse) because I was fiddling with the RT's Whiz Wheel instead of reacting to some idiot pulling out of a driveway while sending heshe is texting.

I am very tempted however by the new Wing. I love the way it looks as compared to it's geriatric predecessor. Two things will probably keep me a way: 1) Why on earth they didn't also support Android Auto I'll never understand (I am NOT buying an iPhone...EVER!), and 2) the greatly reduced luggage capacity. Very nice ride though. Honda seems to be really good at reinventing the Wing. They don't do it nearly often enough but when they do they seem to do really well and in a way that appeals to the next generation of potential owners.

Two things will probably keep me a way: 1) Why on earth they didn't also support Android Auto I'll never understand (I am NOT buying an iPhone...EVER!), and 2) the greatly reduced luggage capacity. Very nice ride though. Honda seems to be really good at reinventing the Wing. They don't do it nearly often enough but when they do they seem to do really well and in a way that appeals to the next generation of potential owners.

1) As I understand it, Honda wanted to provide Android Auto, but Google would not cooperate with them. Does not matter to me, since none of the GPS apps I would want to use are compatible with AA anyway.

2) The luggage changes are just stupid, being too small and poorly shaped. The GW is supposed to be a tourer, touring people want capacity.

Honestly, I would walk before riding a new GW. Maybe if it had windows that roll up/down and a gizmo on the dash that said: Heat - Cool. Hey, then you could rename it maybe call it Accord.

OH shut my mouth I forgot I own an FJR. :rofl:

Edited by JamesW

We were at the IMS Show in Cleveland this past weekend and the new Wing was certainly the belle of the ball and getting a lot of attention. Got to sit on all 3 models and honestly I liked the "standard Gold Wing" which used to be the F6B. They did a nice job with it and the colors and trim on that model looked the best to me. But have to agree on the bags .... man they look small for 2 people. The Standard w/o the top box has a nice black rack and backrest you can get which would hold a nice size waterproof duffle. And while no doubt Honda is trying to attract the younger buyer I am not convinced they 30-40 year old crowd is going to be attracted to the Wing. It WILL be attractive the the current Wing owners looking for an upgrade. Oh .... and while they are touting a weight reduction the Touring model with top box and such is 842 pounds! The big reduction is on the standard model w/o the top box. I am looking forward to a demo ride at Americade in June!

ESLC indicator top left on dash...Easy Select Launch Control? :grin: I wonder how hard he got slapped in the back of the helmet for that one. :D

picture5.png

Pat

I'll take one for a test ride if a local dealership has a demo day. I took the GL1800 for spin last year and found it to be overkill for my current riding. Honestly, at this point in my life I think a naked standard that could have a small fairing put on for cooler weather and taken off in the summer, and a top case, will do pretty much everything I need. The new R1200R was the most comfy bike I sat on at the last IMS, although due to the Superb Owl, our IMS didn't have several manufacturers. If the Burgman 650 gives up the ghost, the new GW will get included in the 'maybe' category, But I'm not going to be a beta tester unless Honda will comp me a bike.

Edited by Antimatter

Just sat on a few at my local Honda dealer, two Tour and one bagger, all DCT. Two things popped out immediately: free play in the steering linkage was pretty obvious on two of them (like about 1/16" of play at the end of the bars - not good at all!) and the instrument display cover (the transparent plastic) has a glossy finish and sits at an angle that reflects enough that it's hard to see. I compared them to the previous gen models they had though and holy smokes what a difference. The new Wing is MUCH smaller overall and incredibly light by comparison. Very comfortable with a nice seating position and I could almost flatfoot them (29" inseam here).

I seriously doubt I'll buy one though and am still set on getting a wethead RT. The smaller side cases are ridiculous for a Touring machine and that steering linkage, even if they just weren't adjusted correctly, seems to me to be something that will one day be a headache.

Decent review here: http://wingstuff.com/blog_detail/66013_2018_gold_wing_first_ride_review_by_fred_harmon

The GPS unit can only handle eight waypoints per route? "Even the Honda team members present were not able to create a route for our 200-mile ride from Austin to Fredericksburg with this limitation, and they said the only way they could do it would be to break it up into two routes."

:facepalm:

Though I do wish BMW would follow Honda's lead on tip-over protection.

ESLC indicator top left on dash...Easy Select Launch Control? :grin: I wonder how hard he got slapped in the back of the helmet for that one. :D

picture5.png

Would be more "dashing" without a helmet!

vlcsnap-2012-11-21-19h00m03s17.jpg

Would be more "dashing" without a helmet!

It would have but like I mentioned earlier, the crack on the back of the head would have been much more painful. :grin: Seriously though, I wonder if the Mrs. was on board with that or did the road just completely surprise the rider? The perfectly positioned camera tells me it was set up. :dontknow:

Pat

I have my local dealer looking for a white DCT Tour. I will be trading my 2013 HD Electra Glide Classic. I was very impressed after looking at it closely, sitting on it and starting it. Raining today, so no test rides, but I will be going back later this week to ride the demo bike when It is dry. This will be my 2-up bike, the RT will still be staying in the stable for solo and commuting duty.

I can't wait to take delivery!

John

Went to Manchester Honda today in Manchester, CT so I could see this bike in person. Very nice looking motorcycle, I like it far more than previous iterations. Slimmed down and svelt, unllike any Gold Wing I've ever seen. Can't wait to ride one.

Next trip is to Wagner BMW/Ducati in Worcester, MA to see the V4 Panagale. Now that bike gets my heart beating!

I looked them over pretty good at the Chicago Motorcycle show. I've *never* been even slightly attracted to Goldwings, but this ain't your Daddy's Goldwing.

Fairly impressive bike. I'd certainly consider it.. alot of features and I've always felt that Japanese bikes have better reliability. I've owned at least 5 Honda's and 2 beemers. The Honda's have *never* stranded me (My R1200RT did... just sayin....)

But I'm not in the market yet.. Maybe next year.