IGNORED

Sena Bluetooth

strataj

Has anyone connected the Alpine Bluetooth to a Sena (I just got a 20S Evo) along with a Radar detector using a Bluetooth dongle? Does it work and do you have any control of the detector sound? Can you mute it when receiving false alarms and continue listening to the bikes audio system? Or I'm I better off installing a SM10 on the bike? All ideas are welcome.

Jay

Good afternoon Jay.

Let me see if I can give you some ideas on how it works for me.

I have been using a SENA 20S with my 2018 R1200RT and use the BMW radio to play songs of a USB stick.

My BMW VI GPS is also connected to the SENA 20S. My Valentine V1 radar detector is hard wired to my SENA 20S headset.

The 20S can only make 2 Bluetooth connections.

My radar detector will override my Bluetooth connection to the BMW Bluetooth Radio (GPS & Radio).

Also the GPS will override the music, without stopping the progress of the songs.

I have bought the Motochello speaker bridge, so I can hardwire the BMW Radio&GPS to the SM-10 (SENA) with the Valentine V1. But I haven't installed it yet, so I can't tell you if that will fix

This should allow a simple Bluetooth connection from the bike to the helmet. This hopefully will also allow music, GPS instructions and V1 alerts, while an intercom connection is active.

Now when I get a GPS direction, the Intercom connection is interrupted and I can't get a reliable music transmission.

I believe the SM10 from SENA is or works like a Bluetooth dongle. The good thing about the SM10 is that it will let you merge two different audio outputs into one Bluetooth signal.

Also on the V1, I can mute the alerts by pushing the power button on it, as per instructions from Valentine.

Jay,

I've got a 2013 GT but it's basically the same system. My Sena is a 10u with two inputs.

I have the BMW system hard wired through a splitter into a SM10. I cut the speaker wires at the Alpine unit to make it work. The Motochello is a MUCH better option but wasn't available at the time. The V1 is wired into the second SM 10 input through a inline filter. Lots of noise without the filter, the motochello may help with this as well. I have my phone as the second bluetooth input. The SM10 has the priority pairing so I dont miss the V1 alert. At full volume, the V 1 will overide the stereo or the gps. It's worked great for 20000 miles. I also have a hard wire charger from rocket moto that stays pluged into the SM10 to keep it charged.

Thanks Bernie and Mike,

I was considering this setup, thank you both! I already have a Motochello installed so that step is done (been listening to XM and Nav with hardwired headset). I remember when Mike posted his use of Rocket Moto a while ago but I think that company is out of Biz. I founds lots of others that can work, I just purchased this one https://tinyurl.com/y7bka52w from Amazon. I was considering installing the SM10 in my right glove box and using the usb to power but I don't want give up that space/port. I still have my audio deal for the V 1, this project is going to be easy.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

With all the rain I finally got my first ride in since the installation of the SM10 and Sena 20S-EVO. The SM10 is hardwired with the battery disconnected on a switched circuit. The SM10 is plugged in with an output from a Motochello (taped in to bike speaker wires with ) and V1. It seems fine while in my shop with the bike on and running. But riding I'm getting lots of static at speed. It has worked without static so it's not consistent. My phone isn't connected, Bluetooth was off. I've updated all firmware. Any idea's what's causing the static and poor quality sound.

Jay

If you power the SM10 from the bike and hard wire it to the speakers/earbuds then you need a ground loop noise isolator in the speaker line. I used to get the Autocom product from Rocketmoto but they seem to be out of business. I suspect they are all equal, here's one from Amazon. I'm not a guru on this but know if you connect an audio device to bike power and hard wire it to the speakers or earbuds this is mandatory.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2

If you power the SM10 from the bike and hard wire it to the speakers/earbuds then you need a ground loop noise isolator in the speaker line. I used to get the Autocom product from Rocketmoto but they seem to be out of business. I suspect they are all equal, here's one from Amazon. I'm not a guru on this but know if you connect an audio device to bike power and hard wire it to the speakers or earbuds this is mandatory.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2

It's not an engine wine/noise, its static. Other user of the Motochello make no mention of the need for a ground loop noise idolator? Before going with the Sena set-up I plugged custom earbuds into the Motochello without any static or noise.

Jay

Edited by strataj

Jay, let me make sure I understand, your SM-10 is connected by Bluetooth to your 20S? Correct? The SM-10 doesn't have a audio outlet port.

I suspect you may have either a bad audio cable in the setup or one of the connectors are not plugged in all the way. The Sena SM10 has a strange cover around the plug and some connectors don't plug in all the way. Use straight connectors and maybe even use Sena wires.

Thanks Bernie, I found out about the strange covering when connecting the USB, I had to shave some of the outside covering of the USB to fit. I call Sena, I did a hard reset of both the Sena 20S EVO and SM10, it seem to fix the issue. I'll need to test it on a ride but bring the RPM up no static as before the reset. Sena service was great they answered my call on the first ring with a rep that gave me a solution.

Jay