IGNORED

New (to me) R 1200RT

Tycham

I am picking up my bike this weekend and have all ready joined the forums.

What are some recommendation on any improvements, etc. There may be a sticky but I can't find it. I have a long trip (6000+) planned this spring and just wondering if anyone has ideas on upgrades/improvements

Welcome! Post up a pic when you get it...

EVERYONE has their prefs and needs,

For me the VERY 1st is the seat, 2nd is the windshield. My prefs are Seat - Sargent, Windshield - Cee-Baileys.

Congratulations on your purchase. The RT is a mighty fine bike.

My suggestions are:

1. Seat (or seats if riding with a passenger) if you're going to do 300 plus mile days. Russell (& the prior maker of Russell) has been my choice for over 30 years when I add an aftermarket seat. Others may recommend a different brand that they have had a good experience with.

2. Windshield. Do a lot of reading re. the pros & cons of the different brands, re. buffeting, coverage, etc. Some offer better coverage but the owners report a loss of fuel economy while others don't seem to have this problem. *If you add a taller or wider windshield, you would be saving yourself some grief by adding stronger upper windshield supports. The stock ones are prone to break with a bigger screen. Lower supports are also available but there doesn't seem to be nearly as many problems with them. Beemer Boneyard sells upper & lower replacement sets.

Any other farkles would be more of a subjective matter than something that most R1200RT owners find more of a necessity like windshields & a more comfortable seat.

Riders come in all shapes and sizes. That's why there there are so many discussions about accessories, and so little consensus. Every seat, footpeg, windshield, and bar riser has fans who claim it is perfect and haters who consider the same item to be an instrument of torture. Until you know how the existing configuration works for YOU, you are making changes without knowing what you already have or what your target is.

Your first $100 should spent on gas, in as short a period as you can manage. I don't know what your time frame is, but for me, a 6K tour implies multiple all-day rides. Ride at least 1500 miles to determine what, if any, problems need correcting before fixing things that may not be broken.

Edited by lkraus
Riders come in all shapes and sizes. That's why there there are so many discussions about accessories, and so little consensus. Every seat, footpeg, windshield, and bar riser has fans who claim it is perfect and haters who consider the same item to be an instrument of torture. Until you know how the existing configuration works for YOU, you are making changes without knowing what you already have or what your target is.

Your first $100 should spent on gas, in as short a period as you can manage. I don't know what your time frame is, but for me, a 6K tour implies multiple all-day rides. Ride at least 1500 miles to determine what, if any, problems need correcting before fixing things that may not be broken.

+1

The ride is planned for two weeks. No big deal since I have done longer rides on my Vulcan 1600 and Goldwing but now I want to go sport touring with the 1200.

I will be riding in the winter but I want to use the time to tune up the bike for me.

Any ideas?

I got the blue 2007. I will post pics as soon as I have them. Tomorrow I take my first ride over 100 miles. We will see how the heat works since it is 17 outside today (forecast for 37 tomorrow)

I couldn't agree more.

Just ride the thing and it will speak to you on what it needs.

As a long time owner of a 2007RT, I found the Cee-Baily 4" wider 2" taller shield fits my 5'11" frame with the stock seat at the low height.It took away almost ALL the helmet buffeting I was dealing with. I also use barbacks, and I put highway pegs on the engine guard bars for the 800 mile days I've done.

As everyone has said, it a personal thing, so ride it as is for now, and look or try and find someone close so you can try their bike with the different shield or seat. Even if you can just find some used machines for sale at a dealer, you can sit on them with the non-stock equipment to see what you like BEFORE you spend the money on it.

I got the blue 2007. I will post pics as soon as I have them. Tomorrow I take my first ride over 100 miles. We will see how the heat works since it is 17 outside today (forecast for 37 tomorrow)

The 2007 Blue was one of the prettiest RT's made. Your have excellent taste!!

Good luck!

To the OP, welcome.

Good advice posted here. I'm probably the only member of this forum who hasn't really changed a thing on my RT. 😀 .... Stock seat? No problem. Windscreen? Perfect. I simply Adjusted the shift lever, Added a sheepskin & a set of Motologhts. Good to go!

I purchased a 2009 RTP and rode it back from Omaha to Seattle last September. I recall that the seat was what I most wanted to upgrade, followed by the mirrors.

First thing I did was have the Level II and new tires , brake pads and all the recalls serviced at Rides West. When $$ permit, I'll get a GS-911, RS mirrors and a Rich's seat (drive by his shop everyday on the way to work).

• 2 years later...
I purchased a 2009 RTP and rode it back from Omaha to Seattle last September. I recall that the seat was what I most wanted to upgrade, followed by the mirrors.

First thing I did was have the Level II and new tires , brake pads and all the recalls serviced at Rides West. When $$ permit, I'll get a GS-911, RS mirrors and a Rich's seat (drive by his shop everyday on the way to work).

Welcome - I'm new to the R1200RT world as well. And also moving from SoCal to Seattle in the very near future. My wife just asked me if I was selling the bike because it rains in Seattle. NO!! Was the initial answer, but then I thought. hmmm, how much does it really rain, and do I care?

So as a guy who lives in Seattle and just bought a bike, please tell me how much you ride?

Many thanks, Aaron

Dennis Andress

So as a guy who lives in Seattle and just bought a bike, please tell me how much you ride?

Many thanks, Aaron

We live in Port Orchard, 17 miles across the Sound from Seattle. First things first, traffic up here is slow. Don't expect to be traveling much above 70, and that only in the Seattle area.

Riding season varies. Normally it's too wet and gray to enjoy riding from late November until sometime in April. But this winter has been mild with considerably less rain and more sunshine than usual. There have been lots of bikes out on weekends up until early January. It's finally raining seriously now, an inch or so a day; has been for about a week. Looks like this will continue until sometime in late February. It'll rain in March, April, and May too, just not all the time. The rains typically stop around July 4th. July, August, and September are beautiful, with rain returning in late September. October and early November have a good, but wet, riding weather.

Locally, it's common to take vacation in winter and go south to somewhere warm, dry, and sunny. Summertime is too nice to leave, and it's the only time the weather is good enough to take on big home or yard projects. We have difficulty making free time for riding in summer. We wrap up our projects sometime in September and then ride every chance we get until the weather kills the fun of it.

I live in the Willamette Valley, don't believe him, I ride almost all year round, usually not Dec or Jan, but the rest of months. Invest in quality waterproof gear and you are fine. PR4's for rain and you are good to go. Stay away from mountain passes in the winter months, but march and April are nice, May usually rains, but is warm. Seattle traffic sucks big time, avoid it or get out of town quick.

Dennis, the usual advice is summer starts July 5th when people return to work after the holiday and all the years I worked there it rang pretty true. Have a family pic of one July 4th picnic, we were all in parkas. But I did ride to work often in the winter unless it was close to freezing because the Hood Canal Bridge had so many steel rails on it. But the ferry ramps typically had some sand on them so many do ride year round. Good rain and heated gear and you're good to go. One of our members on here rode to work every day unless there was snow, which isn't often in the Puget Sound.

For clarity, when you use the ferry for commuting it's more typical to see bikers because of the ferry system first on first off policy. But yes, most are fair weather riders, seems it rains constantly during the long winter and then July comes and all is forgiven.

Edited by mickeym3

THIS. And again I'll say it THIS!

I applaud you choice of bike and your enthusiasm for riding. You really do need to spend some time on the bike getting to know each other. See what you have to offer each other as is and how you get on.

Once you get your 1500 miles in, you'll know what you want to adjust or change. Spend this time off the bike reviewing the classifieds to get an idea of what used items are going for and a sense of used supply and demand. You can save a significant amount of money by acquiring good idea items.

Once you compile a list of items you're looking for - for example Widget A (complete with a corkscrew to avoid potential corkage fees down the road :rofl: ) then we will be better equipped to offer input on this or that Widget.

Welcome! And enjoy the ride

What are some recommendation on any improvements, etc. There may be a sticky but I can't find it. I have a long trip (6000+) planned this spring and just wondering if anyone has ideas on upgrades/improvements

Afternoon Tycham

Get the bike then ride it for a while to get used to it.

Then do a couple of 300+ mile days with that bike (either 300+ out then stay the night) or 150+ out & 150+ back in one day. (this should tell you what you need accessory wise, seat wise, handlebar position OK or not, riding gear, helmet, personal accessories etc, if you can see/use the speedometer in the sun (if not you might need a GPS to tell speed from), or if you want/need a tank bag for instant accessibility to certain items while riding, anything else that bothers you on the ride. If you REALLY want to understand what you might need to change or modify then make that 300 mile trip in the rain.

Are you camping on the 6K trip? Are you taking a passenger with you? Are you taking all your basic supplies with you or staying the night at relatives or motels? All this changes what you might need to improve, change, or modify to have a comfortable 6K trip.

If you can try to take a couple of shorter trips before the longer 6K trip with the bike outfitted they way you will have it when you make the 6K trip so you can change/adjust your bike & riding accessories. (the time to make modifications & changes is NOT part way into a 6K trip.

Years ago before my first long riding trip (I mostly camped on that trip) I loaded my bike with all my camping gear, most of my travel clothes, way too many tools, parts, & unneeded dodads then rode the bike to & from work every day for a week. Glad I did as I made some needed changes to my riding gear & bike.

From that first long trip (No GPS back then) I found that I would need a tank bag with a clear map pocket on top & a place to store easy to get to (quickly accessible) toll booth money. I also found that the seat that was like sitting on a pile of rocks after a couple of hours of riding. I also found out that my (advertised as waterproof) rain gear wasn't waterproof & was about impossible to put on alongside the road in the rain. I won't even go into how well my supposedly waterproof gloves worked (not).

The absolute best person to ask about " some recommendation on any improvements, etc." is YOU, after you ride that bike for some miles & a few longer trips.

I see you are in the hexhead forum here so the one accessory I will suggest you add BEFORE you actually find that you need it is a larger side stand foot plate if you plan on riding on, or stopping on, dirt roads, sod camping areas, or soft ground areas (especially with a load of heavy camping gear on the back of the bike)

I couldn't ride my Rt across town with the stock seat. I tried a cb windscreen then went with the aeroflow. Get the rd seat.

Get bar backs. I have the Bmw top case but only use a 1550 pelican case with a givi adapter. Do a brake flush if it hasn't had one. I'm at 62000 miles and bike has only been in the shop for fuel strip. If you get bored with the Bike put in Lenny's cam sprockets. Makes the bike wake up.