IGNORED

need a backrest

NorCal Rider

Hello.... just purchased a 2005 R1200 RT.... loving it! I need a driver's backrest. I have a Sargent seat. Recommendations?

Thx,

Kim in Chico, CA.

Bakup backrests do stand alone backrests . You need to call them to insure it will be compatible with the aftermarket seat. But, it should be as long as your bike isn't a factory "lowered" model with the seat being one piece front and rear.

http://www.bakupusa.com/bmw_models.html

Scroll to see the correct rest for your year bike. Not inexpensive.

If I may, you just got the bike and you came from a whole different type of bike. (Seating posistion) give the bike a couple thousand miles before you start spending money as you are now using a whole different muscle group while riding. (unless you have chronic back issues)

The same would be true for an upright bike rider switching over to a cruiser bike with forward controls, laid back seating.

While at Ozzie's have them go over the operation of all the bells and whistles the bike has so you know WHAT the bike has and how it works. The PO may not be the best at explaining.

The BMW's do much better with higher than normal tire pressure as well. AND coming from a cruiser, you may be used to shifting at a lower rpm. Try upshifting above 3500 or so and know that 5th and 6th are very tall gears. 6th being a true overdrive, so going over mountain passes, the bikes are happier in lower gears .

The bikes like to rev.

Let's say you are going over Pacheco Pass. The bike will be ok to do it in 5th, but in 3rd, it will be much happier. You'll have the power on hand to pass safely and really enjoy it.

Hello Tri, thanks for that! Yes, re: the backrest and my own back... I do have lower back issues, although I must say that that area of my back has not been an issue on the new bike - so I will give it some time before pulling the trigger on a backrest, allowing other muscle groups to acclimate.

I will go over the bells and whistles with the Ozzie's guys - the PO was a super nice guy, and gave me a great deal on the bike, but he told me he had not realized the bike had a 6th gear until after he'd owned it for a year - PLUS, he told me the brakes were not linked... so, yeah - not a wealth of info from him.

Thanks for all your other tips as well.... yes, I am new to the bmw world - and although thoroughly and deeply involved in my Honda, its maintenance, and the 'cruiser' world...this is all very new to me.. I will look forward to getting 'up to speed.'

Thanks again,

You should go experiment with the ABS as well. Find an empty and gravel free parking lot and start slow and in a straight line use the brakes .

You'll be money ahead if you can learn to totally ignore the rear brake pedal unless you are in rain.

Watch using the brakes in a turn at walking speed as until you get used to it, it's easy to just fall over.

Checking the oil level is a story in itself.

The bike has a rev-limiter so you won't hurt the motor by over revving.

Find an empty long freeway on ramp sometime and accelerate from 1-3rd gears and rev to redline just to see the power you now have. But be careful as you may be surprised at your terminal speed so be sure the road ahead is clear.

YMMV

Check out Utopia products they make great backrest,I have one on my 05 RT and love it! I also have lower back issues made a world of difference.

Their website is utpr.com