IGNORED

After market exhaust?

Zapata

Hello Team:

Will the afterrmarket exhaust like the Akrapovic or Remus make the bike run leaner? If that's the case what other modifications are necessary? K&N Air filter and FI controller? (Stage 1)

In my conquest for a louder muffler I remove the stock muffler and install an exhaust tip. Will this make the bike run leaner? The flapper valve remains in place.

80-dsc00356_fc2bdd317a416d4b7380e1d901bed4791c1d827e.jpg

80-dsc00357_0b511f522bd55145a94b11cefaab208437c1f0a9.jpg

Thank you very much.

Hello Team:

Will the afterrmarket exhaust like the Akrapovic or Remus make the bike run leaner? If that's the case what other modifications are necessary? K&N Air filter and FI controller? (Stage 1)

In my conquest for a louder muffler I remove the stock muffler and install an exhaust tip. Will this make the bike run leaner? The flapper valve remains in place.

Thank you very much.

Evening Zapata

It can make it run a little leaner in certain limited open loop modes but in closed loop the o2 sensor will keep the fueling on track.

A K&N or other performance air filter won' t help at all as the main intake restriction is the air inlet snorkel.

If you just want loud then aftermarket exhaust or your exhaust tip will do that but you won't gain any power & at certain light throttle operation it could even run worse as the open ended exhaust will not kill the reversion pulse traveling back up the exhaust. (the flapper valve might modulate this somewhat though).

Oh-oh; A loud BMW exhaust thread on BMWST...this could get interesting :lurk:

oh boy...you should see how it went in the FB page. I almost got crucified!! I even got insults! This is just an experiment. I am planning to get the Akrapovic in a couple of months.

By the way I love your town. If cold weather was not an issue for my body I will be living there in Milwaukee. Was there last October and visit the HD museum. It was an amazing experience and plan to go back this year to attend the Harley-Davidson 115 years celebrations.

Edited by Zapata

The question is, why?

BMW engineers got the thing pretty right wrt how the bike runs.

Other than the Boxer Cup race bikes I've never seen/heard an aftermarket set up the "worked".

And that was, of course, on the track.

YMMV.

IMO, changing the exhaust is like leaving a symphony concert to go listen to accordion polkas.

;)

Oh-oh; A loud BMW exhaust thread on BMWST...this could get interesting :lurk:

oh boy...you should see how it went in the FB page. I almost got crucified!! I even got insults! This is just an experiment. I am planning to get the Akrapovic in a couple of months.

By the way I love your town. If cold weather was not an issue for my body I will be living there in Milwaukee. Was there last October and visit the HD museum. It was an amazing experience and plan to go back this year to attend the Harley-Davidson 115 years celebrations.

I see you joined last December, so if I didn't do it before, welcome to BMWST.

Thank you for the kind words about my home town. The HD museum is well worth a visit even if you don't like their bikes. Even though it is through the Motor Company's lens, walking through the historical American motorcycle experience is well worth the time and money to do it. Send me a PM when you are going to be here and maybe we can get a sandwich and tip a beer. It might be a little hit or miss as I try to get to the north part of the state a lot in the summer to land that monster Musky that is lurking in the bay by our lake house. It could work out though.

The BMW folks here will share strong opinions on this topic with the majority in the keep it quiet camp. At the same time this being a smaller community helps to keep the discussion civil and focused on the wisdom of such a modification and not so much a personal attack on your character. Well at least not for the BMW owners. A few take this opportunity to to really disparage the stereotype of the loud pipe Hawg riders. Moderators will break up the kids if it gets out of hand. For me it is a different strokes thing to a point and my preference is to the quiet side.

I will say my '15 RT has way more of throaty note than my '99RT and I like it. I also like how the butterfly valve quiets things down on cruise throttle. In general for me the boxer motor will never have that awesome soulful V twin rumble and the ones I have heard with a less restrictive/ open exhaust have a booming drone sound that does nothing for me, so I direct my discretionary accessory dollars elsewhere. TETO, and if it has two wheels and a motor it is all good.

Here in the Motor Company's central hive the police look the other way unless you're a total obnoxious A$$ and nearly every HD rider runs aftermarket exhaust. I don't like the extremely loud bikes that you can hear a mile away because even in Milwaukee it casts a negative view on all m/c riders in the non riding community. And boy do you hear about it during one of their big celebrations (100th 105th and 110th and I am sure for the 115th as well).

Good luck with your experiment and stay off FB as it is a troll magnet!

Hi Paul:

Yes, the HD Museum was a great experience. I already put the stock exhaust back, was reading that it can cause the engine to run leaner and that's a big No-No. Will see if I install the Akrapovic or Remus in a couple of months. I am also thinking on making the engine run richer. Is this something that is commonly done by the BNW crowd? I always do a Stage 1 in all my bikes but not sure how to do it in the RT.

Best regards

I'm almost reluctant to ask, but what are you hoping to achieve or gain ?

More power or just a louder sound ?

I will pass no judgment either way, just curious I guess.

Louder sound. Power is plenty enough for me.

Zap,

Try the Akrapovic. I find it a bit louder than the stock, but mostly the tone is different. If you take out the removable silencer it's noticeably louder. Too much for me, but you might like it.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a AF-XIED on my camhead. Much better throttle response through a richer mixture. Beemer boneyard has them.

Did it make a notable difference on yours Mike? Was thinking of getting one myself

I had a AF-XIED on my camhead. Much better throttle response through a richer mixture. Beemer boneyard has them.

Did it make a notable difference on yours Mike? Was thinking of getting one myself

I think it's worth the money. I had mine set to 8 and the bike ran great. Far better throttle response. The bike was otherwise bone stock.

I intended to install it on the GS but there are some issues with the AF-XIED and the wethead. If they work it out I will use the AF-XIED again.