Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1005027 - 02/09/18 03:01 PM not the fuel strip  
NorCal Rider Offline
Newer Member
NorCal Rider  Offline
Newer Member

Chico, CA
Hi everyone...

Had my new (to me) 1200 RT in the shop over the last couple days - doing the 48k service - feel good about the bike being in tip-top shape!! Will do my own service from now on tho....Dang! That was expensive!!

Anyway - my fuel gauge is not working. PO had problem looked at - had new fuel strip installed - still no good. The guys at Ozzie's BMW here in Chico tell me that what I actually need replaced is the 'flange' to the fuel pump. Fuel pump itself is fine, so I'm just resetting the trip meter with each fill up. Meantime, Ozzie's said they'll be on the lookout for a used fuel pump that can be cannibal-ized.

Have any of you encountered this specific issue? Seems like almost everyone has had the fuel strip issue - how about the flange?

Thanks,
Kim

#1005028 - 02/09/18 03:15 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: NorCal Rider]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
Still sounds like you need a fuel strip. IIRC there were reports of bad fuel strips being used in the recall. Probably not on purpose.

If what they are telling you is true then the Flange Recall should be brought up in that case.

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
#1005029 - 02/09/18 03:21 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: NorCal Rider]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by NorCal Rider
Hi everyone...

Had my new (to me) 1200 RT in the shop over the last couple days - doing the 48k service - feel good about the bike being in tip-top shape!! Will do my own service from now on tho....Dang! That was expensive!!

Anyway - my fuel gauge is not working. PO had problem looked at - had new fuel strip installed - still no good. The guys at Ozzie's BMW here in Chico tell me that what I actually need replaced is the 'flange' to the fuel pump. Fuel pump itself is fine, so I'm just resetting the trip meter with each fill up. Meantime, Ozzie's said they'll be on the lookout for a used fuel pump that can be cannibal-ized.

Have any of you encountered this specific issue? Seems like almost everyone has had the fuel strip issue - how about the flange?

Thanks,
Kim

Morning Kim

What year 1200RT do you have?

We need WAY more information to know what you are dealing with. Flanges usually leak, they don't usually cause the fuel gauge to quit working.

EXACTLY what is wrong with your flange?

Even new fuel strips fail & some new ones even fail to work at all.

If your fuel pump flange is leaking or cracked there was a BMW recall on those.

To answer your basic question. I have seen a large number of 1200RT fuel gauges stop working correctly & none were do to any type of flange failure.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1005107 - 02/11/18 02:19 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: dirtrider]  
NorCal Rider Offline
Newer Member
NorCal Rider  Offline
Newer Member

Chico, CA
HI D-Rider.. mine is a 2005 RT.... so here's the word from Ozzie's - the strip was replaced - still no working fuel gauge - the flange was replaced too - still no good...all of the above was done via recalls -- I mentioned to them that I had read here on the forum that often brand new strips were faulty - they said they took a reading and the strip was working fine. They say the problem is the connector on the flange itself... I have seen the bar-b-que zapper fix on youtube - I wonder if that might bring the system back to life...? Seems to me that fix was more to activate the strip itself. So in the meantime, they are on the lookout for a wrecked bike with a good fuel pump assembly - we could then install that flange onto my bike - would be way cheaper than a whole new fuel pump... meantime - trip meter reset with every fill up - no huge big deal for me.

Thx
KIM

Last edited by NorCal Rider; 02/11/18 03:00 PM.

Kim in Chico, CA
#1005109 - 02/11/18 03:03 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: NorCal Rider]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by NorCal Rider
HI D-Rider.. mine is a 2005 RT.... so here's the word from Ozzie's - the strip was replaced - still no working fuel gauge - the flange was replaced too - still no good...all of the above was done via recalls -- I mentioned to them that I had read here on the forum that often brand new strips were faulty - they said they took a reading and the strip was working fine. They say the problem is the connector on the flange itself... I have seen the bar-b-que zapper fix on youtube - I wonder if that might bring the system back to life...? Seems to me that fix was more to activate the strip itself. So in the meantime, they are on the lookout for a wrecked bike with a good fuel pump assembly - we could then install that flange onto my bike - would be way cheaper than a whole new fuel pump... meantime - trip meter reset with every fill up - no huge big deal for me.

Just watched this vid.... maybe it's as easy to fix as this shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_WzH-RpiRY

Thx
KIM

Morning Kim

No need to zap it as the strip was replaced so SHOULD WORK & if not you are due a new replacement.

I'm not sure what READING they took (those things are difficult to measure) so you either need to trust them or find another dealer to work with.

Any idea on "what is wrong with connector on the flange". (did they damage that connector when installing the new fuel strip?)

D.R. ___
#1005111 - 02/11/18 03:43 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: dirtrider]  
NorCal Rider Offline
Newer Member
NorCal Rider  Offline
Newer Member

Chico, CA
I do totally trust the guys at Ozzie's. Their reputation is second to none on the west coast... they will literally go the extra mile (as in come to your house if you need a part) to provide great service. Small, family run.

D-Rider....that video I posted does not show what I thought - it shows a replacement for the controller - not the issue here - so I took that video down. In watching it tho, and also this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYk7CoFj8Zg

I see the zapper fix does not appear to be all that tricky - and if the connector is corroded or in some other way not able to conduct an electrical current, maybe the zapper will help.... i might try it in any case...

Thanks,
K

Kim in Chico, CA
#1005112 - 02/11/18 04:17 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: NorCal Rider]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Morning Kim

Personally I wouldn't want to purposely ZAP a brand new fuel strip.

In any case even if zapping would make it work I have yet to see or hear of the zapping lasting very long.

If you try it let us know how it works out?

D.R. ___
#1005113 - 02/11/18 04:22 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: dirtrider]  
NorCal Rider Offline
Newer Member
NorCal Rider  Offline
Newer Member

Chico, CA
Sure.... would be an excuse to dig into the bike for the first time... then again.... maybe i'll leave well enough alone for the time being... thumbsup

thanks!

K

Kim in Chico, CA
#1005141 - 02/12/18 03:14 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: dirtrider]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Morning Kim

EXACTLY what is wrong with your flange?

Even new fuel strips fail & some new ones even fail to work at all.

If your fuel pump flange is leaking or cracked there was a BMW recall on those.

To answer your basic question. I have seen a large number of 1200RT fuel gauges stop working correctly & none were do to any type of flange failure.

No need to zap it as the strip was replaced so SHOULD WORK & if not you are due a new replacement.

I'm not sure what READING they took (those things are difficult to measure) so you either need to trust them or find another dealer to work with.

Any idea on "what is wrong with connector on the flange". (did they damage that connector when installing the new fuel strip?)

Personally I wouldn't want to purposely ZAP a brand new fuel strip.

In any case even if zapping would make it work I have yet to see or hear of the zapping lasting very long.

If you try it let us know how it works out?

Hi Kim - DT has asked some investigative questions here that have gone unanswered. Certainly, it's your bike and only you can decide what you want to pursue and none of us are there. From Frigid Indiana, it looks like you're grasping for low hanging fruit - which even if it works, it will only be for brief time. If the strip comes to life after Zapping it and then it dies again, then what, pray tell will you do then?

I encourage you to have the uncomfortable conversation with the mechanic or service advisor to drill down and answer DR's questions as I think you're going to have to do this one way or another (if the zapping does [temporarily] or doesn't work. While we all make mistakes, Dirtrider isn't a shade tree mechanic.

Or take a nice ride to another dealership for the strip recall or second opinion.

Best of luck!

Dave

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

[I'm the handsome one on the right, Gray Bastard on the left and Jerry in the middle.]
#1005215 - 02/13/18 08:02 PM Re: not the fuel strip [Re: NorCal Rider]  
NorCal Rider Offline
Newer Member
NorCal Rider  Offline
Newer Member

Chico, CA
Hi guys.... hey, I appreciate your time in responding to my posting here.... heading back to Ozzie's later this week to continue the dialog with them. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
K

Kim in Chico, CA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3