IGNORED

Four generations of RT's / six winters on an RT

profbodryak

Hey guys! Wanted to wish everyone more warm days (especially in the colder regions) and share my thoughts about the four generations of RT's I've experienced in the last six years. I've listed a few things in the end that I've learned through two not at fault collisions and one slip and fall in case you don't want to read this entire novel about RT's :)

1. 2003 R1150RT (navy blue, single spark). My first RT with 102k on the clock when I got it in 2012 and 112k when I sold it in late 2013. Since it was my first RT, I knew very little about BMW bikes but immediately fell in love with it. All I have owned before were a 250cc scooter years ago (2007) and then a Burgman 650 that was totaled (not at fault; a Mini Cooper driver slammed on the brakes made an illegal U-turn from the middle lane blocking my path). Never shifted a motorcycle gear before except as a kid on a stationary bike. I learned to shift on my own by mostly reading the lines on this forum (and I am thankful too all of you who wrote those lines!) Only last year I realized that this generation of RT's was quite heavy (I helped a coworker buy a 2004 dual spark last year and rode it home for him) Learned to change oil, brake pads, installed an aftermarket stereo, a wired remote and learned to change the fork seals (I was stupid enough to take it off the center stand with one tube unmounted and two fingers got caught between the yoke and the gas tank fairing. Stupid but now I know better. This RT is what got me so comfortable with BMW bikes and also motorcycles in general.

2. 2004 R1150RT (silver, dual spark). I was bikeless for about 3 months and finally got this RT with 76k on the clock in March of 2014. To say that I was happy to go up to Delaware to get it is to say the least. I was on the bike again and the bike that seemed so familiar. I again installed an aftermarket stereo and swapped the turn signal lenses for the white ones. It appeared that a dual spark RT had a bit more power but an $800 disappointment came to me four months later when I practically lost half the engine due to a broken exhaust valve on 95 South driving at 65 miles per hour. Since the job was labor intensive and the mechanic at Battley cycles just recently had an arm injury at the time, that repair took about three weeks to complete. Of course, I was jealous every time I saw a bike on the road but after that it served me well until... in August 2015 I was rear ended at a stop light coming back home. This turned into a five-vehicle collision: at fault driver who was "externally distracted" per the police report, myself, an MPD officer in front of me who's Taurus' trunk lid popped open from impact, a lady in front of him and someone else's vehicle damaged by the debris from the bike. Three of us get hospitalized and the guy gets cited for following too closely and... guess the worst part of it... yup, no insurance. Sad but true.

3. 2005 R1200RT (asphalt gray with silver). Just within the next couple of months. Oh, I was excited! While I skipped the generation of camheads as you will notice later, this RT seemed so much more advanced and powerful. It came with the ESA and dual heated seats. Installed the aftermarket stereo but this time decided to go for stock music controls paired with the ASWC-1 adapter. My commute is mostly inner city and weekend rides but this bike I trusted well enough to take it up to NYC and it was surely fun. And if the fuel strip did not fail literally at the end of a recall period and on the second to last day of 2017 I may have never come across...

4. The 2014 R1200RT which I have now owned for over year and I absolutely love it. I have ridden many other bikes in the last six years of riding but the amount of joy I get from mine is enough to say that this is the best bike I've ever ridden. If you've never tried one but get a chance to - do it. The comfort of a tourer with tendencies of a sport bike. Mine apparently sat at Battley for a while. It was that suspension recall that took a long time to release a technical bulletin for and the bike became a buy back by the dealer. I did purchase an extended warranty which covered a master brake reservoir seal and a rear TPM replacement so far. At the time the TPM was replaced I also caught a nail in the rear tire so the labor for the tire replacement was waved. The total warranty coverage ended up being about $400. Some say don't get it, some say get it for a piece of mind. I think it has a potential to pay off as these bikes are full of electronics.

This is my sixth winter on an RT and the amount of fairing is just right. I commute in any weather and every day except when the snow sticks. Two not at fault accidents and one slip and fall in the winter time taught me a few lessons: look at front tires of parked vehicles in case they start turning suddenly, watch out for those making illegal U-turns from the middle lane, be careful when there is reagent on the road and just enjoy every day you ride.

Cheers!

Nice write up, Professor. Owning a family of BMW's is certainly like your own family tree. I started out in 1978 with a R90/6, between my wife and I, we have owned 7 (maybe 8, should have written it down), and each one had it's own journey with us thru the years. II love my camhead and although I would love a wethead, I'm at the point in my life approaching retirement where I just don't feel the need for a newer one. My wife doesn't ride much anymore and has Buell Blast for those occasional urges to ride. She rides her horses everyday, so that's her real passion.

Enjoy the ride, keep a diary and remember the good times.

Hey guys! Wanted to wish everyone more warm days (especially in the colder regions) and share my thoughts about the four generations of RT's I've experienced in the last six years. I've listed a few things in the end that I've learned through two not at fault collisions and one slip and fall in case you don't want to read this entire novel about RT's :)

1. 2003 R1150RT (navy blue, single spark). My first RT with 102k on the clock when I got it in 2012 and 112k when I sold it in late 2013. Since it was my first RT, I knew very little about BMW bikes but immediately fell in love with it. All I have owned before were a 250cc scooter years ago (2007) and then a Burgman 650 that was totaled (not at fault; a Mini Cooper driver slammed on the brakes made an illegal U-turn from the middle lane blocking my path). Never shifted a motorcycle gear before except as a kid on a stationary bike. I learned to shift on my own by mostly reading the lines on this forum (and I am thankful too all of you who wrote those lines!) Only last year I realized that this generation of RT's was quite heavy (I helped a coworker buy a 2004 dual spark last year and rode it home for him) Learned to change oil, brake pads, installed an aftermarket stereo, a wired remote and learned to change the fork seals (I was stupid enough to take it off the center stand with one tube unmounted and two fingers got caught between the yoke and the gas tank fairing. Stupid but now I know better. This RT is what got me so comfortable with BMW bikes and also motorcycles in general.

2. 2004 R1150RT (silver, dual spark). I was bikeless for about 3 months and finally got this RT with 76k on the clock in March of 2014. To say that I was happy to go up to Delaware to get it is to say the least. I was on the bike again and the bike that seemed so familiar. I again installed an aftermarket stereo and swapped the turn signal lenses for the white ones. It appeared that a dual spark RT had a bit more power but an $800 disappointment came to me four months later when I practically lost half the engine due to a broken exhaust valve on 95 South driving at 65 miles per hour. Since the job was labor intensive and the mechanic at Battley cycles just recently had an arm injury at the time, that repair took about three weeks to complete. Of course, I was jealous every time I saw a bike on the road but after that it served me well until... in August 2015 I was rear ended at a stop light coming back home. This turned into a five-vehicle collision: at fault driver who was "externally distracted" per the police report, myself, an MPD officer in front of me who's Taurus' trunk lid popped open from impact, a lady in front of him and someone else's vehicle damaged by the debris from the bike. Three of us get hospitalized and the guy gets cited for following too closely and... guess the worst part of it... yup, no insurance. Sad but true.

3. 2005 R1200RT (asphalt gray with silver). Just within the next couple of months. Oh, I was excited! While I skipped the generation of camheads as you will notice later, this RT seemed so much more advanced and powerful. It came with the ESA and dual heated seats. Installed the aftermarket stereo but this time decided to go for stock music controls paired with the ASWC-1 adapter. My commute is mostly inner city and weekend rides but this bike I trusted well enough to take it up to NYC and it was surely fun. And if the fuel strip did not fail literally at the end of a recall period and on the second to last day of 2017 I may have never come across...

4. The 2014 R1200RT which I have now owned for over year and I absolutely love it. I have ridden many other bikes in the last six years of riding but the amount of joy I get from mine is enough to say that this is the best bike I've ever ridden. If you've never tried one but get a chance to - do it. The comfort of a tourer with tendencies of a sport bike. Mine apparently sat at Battley for a while. It was that suspension recall that took a long time to release a technical bulletin for and the bike became a buy back by the dealer. I did purchase an extended warranty which covered a master brake reservoir seal and a rear TPM replacement so far. At the time the TPM was replaced I also caught a nail in the rear tire so the labor for the tire replacement was waved. The total warranty coverage ended up being about $400. Some say don't get it, some say get it for a piece of mind. I think it has a potential to pay off as these bikes are full of electronics.

This is my sixth winter on an RT and the amount of fairing is just right. I commute in any weather and every day except when the snow sticks. Two not at fault accidents and one slip and fall in the winter time taught me a few lessons: look at front tires of parked vehicles in case they start turning suddenly, watch out for those making illegal U-turns from the middle lane, be careful when there is reagent on the road and just enjoy every day you ride.

Cheers!

Nice write up indeed.

I have 99k on my '04 RT and I love the bike more and more. I hopefully won't have a dropped valve like you experienced. I was riding with a buddy (2003 RT) who experienced some combustion chamber damage when some carbon broke loose, but to date, no engine issues with my bike.

The RT is an absolutely amazing platform and only continues to improve.

How cool to have gone through multiple generations of RT's and they just keep getting better. My first BMW ever was a pristine 1997 R1100RT with 6200 miles on it. After trying the K1200LT I got a 2006 R1200RT which I truly loved! Kept it for 10 great years and then in 2016 moved to the RTW and while I loved my '06 this 2016 is amazing.

001_01-L.jpg

IMG_1501-L.jpg

IMG_1557-L.jpg

Interesting that you count winter seasons.

I have familiarity only with an 02 RT, so found your commentary interestring.

Although I would concider an '02 and an '04 to be the same gneration, but yah, tyhe '04 has the twin spark so has some different characteritics.

Next you need to get a water cooled.

Dave

Interesting that you count winter seasons.

I have familiarity only with an 02 RT, so found your commentary interestring.

Although I would concider an '02 and an '04 to be the same gneration, but yah, tyhe '04 has the twin spark so has some different characteritics.

Next you need to get a water cooled.

Dave

Think his current RT is 2014!

Cris Nitro: thank you Cris Nitro! They are all great machines! They just get more refined with every generation. BMW is known for keeping models around for about 8 years with one or two face lifts.

Bud: for sure! :)

Oldironken: thank you!

RPG: thank you! One issue I have noticed on my '04 also (miles after a broken valve fix) is an increased rattle under load. I took it in for a valve adjustment after that, which made the symptom better but never felt that on a 2003.

RTinNC: +1! They are all beautiful!

Redman: I think I am so used to people saying "aren't you cold?" and that is my standard reply that you get used to it over time along with the fact that my commute to work is 10-15 minutes as opposed to 35-45 minutes depending on the bus service in DC area. Consequently, I just say it to say that this is a year-round experience for me.

RTinNC: it is! And until this past holiday season I never appreciated the quick shifter to its fullest extent :)

Craft: I waited for a very long time before I got one. My friend got an LC GS way before I got the LC RT. The ratio of miles driven/years owned for him far exceeds mine for my RT and owning an LC boxer will eventually happen. But I was very happy for him. I advertised RT's to him at every possible opportunity.

open?id=144ylWQ-5IqjYWhLFlJB3-D7Mo-rm06Rb

Edited by profbodryak

Two other precautions:

1. For pre-hexhead models: be careful knocking ice off the seats as they will crack thereby letting water inside the cushion;

2. For a hexhead (and assuming a camhead): if you wash the rider seat with a mild detergent, you may possibly take off the coating and expose the inner material.

Both of the above are unfortunate experiences that prompted me to buy a new seat.

My 5 generations of RT over 15 years: '86, '00, '06, '13, '16.

Loved them all, but the 2000 R1100RTSE was somehow special.

5RTs.jpg

Beautiful! I was always interested in the historical full model list. What is a R1100 RTSE?

The SE Special Edition in Graphite Grey Metallic was a promo model that included match-painted side cases with "Touring" logo (standard RT cases were always black regardless of body color), a painted 33L top box, and I think other bits like a second power outlet in the rear.

I've seen some K1200GT's with matching paint on the cases too but those are more recent models.

I noticed you have the engine guards on your RTW. Do you need the torque wrench to install them?

My 5 generations of RT over 15 years: '86, '00, '06, '13, '16.

Loved them all, but the 2000 R1100RTSE was somehow special.

My experience is only 3 generations, but these span 44 years. '71 R75/5,short frame Avon full fairing, '99 R1100RT Boston Green, '15 R1200RT San Marino Blue. Loved them all but agree there was something special about my '99RT as that bike gets more nice bike comments than either my '71 or '15 bikes.

Wife asked what am I doing with 3, why don't you sell the older ones. She's right about '99 RT. That bike needs to go to a new home, and the '15 sometime in the future, but I told her she's going have to bury me with my '71...it was my first street bike.

The "1100" generation RT's produced some of the nicest color! Boston Green, Tundra Green, Glacier Green, Light Blue that I can't recall the name of, Sienna Red are some of my favorites!

I don't know what happened to the color line up for the 2018 model year. Other than white I don't find other colors appealing at all. I love the matte finish on mine.

I don't know what happened to the color line up for the 2018 model year. Other than white I don't find other colors appealing at all. I love the matte finish on mine.

I dono, the red on black gets me a little giddy!

For 2018 I like the white and red in that order. But if your "matte" is the Calisto Grey then I agree ... that was one of the better wethead RT colors. While I love my bronze the Calisto and the Crystal Blue were 2 other very nice choices.

This blue with pinstripes is a very classy & mature paint color for 2018. :thumbsup: I like the less mature Red with Graphics, though. :revit::grin:

30C29411-F7C1-487C-944B-BAA6C5D9BA74.jpg

Pat

Always enjoyed the look of the silver rims on an RT. From the colors I've had callisto grey is my number one favorite with blue as the least favorite one. Looked at a blue 2018 RT at Battley and can't understand BMW's thought process on color combination (gold calipers with chrome balancers and the windscreen bracket?) I think they try to experiment. But an RT is an RT no matter what color it is :)

Sorry for being a noob - how do you guys embed photos on here? Mine always insert as links.

I borrowed that one from the web. Copy the URL address and paste it in the image tag in your reply. Your own pics takes a site like Photobucket to host them before we can see them here. It used to be free, now they charge.

Edit

You want to erase the http before you paste.

Pat

Edited by TEWKS