IGNORED

Wrench for Ohlins preload

Dave P

Hi all, 96 R1100RT, what wrench would I need to get to adjust / set the preload on an Ohlins rear shock? I can buy a wrench on ebay but there are several different styles/sizes. Thanks, Dave

No hydraulic preload adjuster?

If you are talking about the two locking rings, there are tools that fit that...or wrap an old shop rag around them to limit nerfing the edge of the rings and 2 pair of large channel locks will get them loose. The operative words are, limit nerfing. This approach will likely leave some plumbers marks on those rings especially if you let the channel locks slip a little.

Call the ohlins tech line with your bike info or better yet the model of your shock. If you have it off the bike there are numbers stamped on the top of it that will be helpful as well.

You can get the spec sheet for your shock from them plus the info on the proper wrench.

I found them very helpful.

Before doing anything you may want to make sure the shock has the proper nitrogen charge. That is the most common problem and no amount of playing with preload or spring settings will compensate for a low charge. Be aware the charge is specific to the shock and application .... it will be on the spec sheet for your shock.

They're called hook wrenches and a set of these will have you looking like a pro.

https://store.snapon.com/Adjustable-Hook-Spanners-Industrial-4-pc-Adjustable-Hook-Spanner-Wrench-Set-P633841.aspx

Prolly find something cheaper online somewhere for part time wrenching, but be sure they are sturdy and the hook has a well defined edge and slightly undercut face to stay engaged on locking ring

Also called C spanners. You may need to measure the nut to establish its diameter and the size of the cut outs to ensure the C spanner sits correctly on the nut. If it doesn't, there is a good chance or damaging the nut.

Dave - Try googling Motion - Pro shock wrenches.

Man - I've forgotten how expensive Snap-On tools are. Long time since the Snap-on man had my name written in his book. Good stuff tho'

Where in Skan do you live?

Dave A

One (the top one) is a jam nut.

You just have to loosen it a bit then tighten the lower one to add preload, loosen to reduce preload.

So one tool will do really.

It can even be done with a long drift . You first give the threads of the shock a slight spray of lube then carefully tap the jam nut loose.

Then walk the adjusting nut around.

Marking the nut with a sharpie will allow you to keep track of how many turns.

To add preload, having the bike on the sidestand makes it easier , to reduce, having on the centerstand will make the turning easier.

It sounds barbaric but at trackdays many of the suspension guys use the drift method as it's quicker to adjust several bikes between sessions.

The rings need to be hard to prevent galling and can take the tapping .

Hi Dave,

I'm curious to know the goal you want to achieve? Damping, spring rate and even shock length can be adjusted and address different aspects of how the shock performs. Well to be precise only damping and shock length are adjustable on this shock and adjusting the spring rate requires a different spring.