IGNORED

New To Me 2009 R1200RT-P

Dan Marucci

Hey guys, newbie joining here having just put about 350 miles on my "New-to-me" 2009 R1200RT-P. I picked it up last Friday from a movie production guy who bought it a year ago from LAPD.

It had 81,140 on it when I picked it up. Dropped it on the ground twice on the first day during ground handling (once because the kick-stand had rotated back beyond centerline while I was pushing it around). Got my motorcycle license just about 30 years ago, but stopped riding in 2004 or 5 as the kids came around. So I'm knocking the dust off slowly. It's been a bit of a challenge as I am only 5'6". May have the seat dropped by 1". If that doesn't do it, I already spoke to the Ted at BEEMERSHOP about a set of shortened TFX or Tractive shocks. Tires are like new, brake linings are thick, starts right up and runs great. ABS works well.

Already found all the used parts to put a 2-up seat on it (my kids are already asking if they can just sit on the radio box for a ride).

This weekend, I'm going to:

Change the Oil+ Filter (I really have enjoyed reading the oil threads here and on the other forums. They are very entertaining).

Change the gearbox Oil

Check the vavle gaps

Possibly replace the alternator belt

Air filter Replace (maybe K&N)

Add a horn (they seem to have cut it off when they removed the sirens, etc.)

Any other Recommendations?

There's a bit of clicking from the heads during some RPM / Speed regimes. I'm not sure if it's the injectors or the valves. I may take it to Valdi in Torrance for an inspection and test drive. I need someone who knows what these hexheads are SUPPOSED to sound like, as I do not.

On a later weekend:

Final Drive Oil / Spline lube

Here's a link to the picks and a walk-around video from Sunday morning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IARRoB7q8qIIjlNY2

Really loving the bike so far.

Dan__

Edited by Dan Marucci

The K&N will flow more air, right through your wallet.

The paper filter is fine whether you use a Mann or a BMW.

If one insists on a performance type filter, i prefer the Uni foam filter over the K&N as it seals much better.

Welcome to the forum, Dan, and thanks fore the pic's Always liked the white.

I have a 2008 and is all I want in a bike, at this stage in life, as am almost 60.

The K&N filter...I am for it. Others are not, I can't say I am right and they are wrong.

As for lowering the suspension, Ted is the man for you! I installed a set of Tractive from Ted, and

all is good. Had a slight problem installing the front, so emailed Ted on a Sunday, figuring he will

respond sometimes Monday. Well, he responded right away and my bike was up and running a couple

of hours later! Now keep in mind, you will have to send in your rear shock, just for the motor. Also, by

lowering the suspension, you will have to cut shorter the side stand and the center stand!

With the center stand, I had some issues, as the flat head screws are from inside out, one was stuck and

had to drill the head . Not a easy task, hopefully you will not have to.

Enjoy your new to you beemer!

i had a cobbler add 1/2” soles to my riding boots - that and a standard low seat has made my RTP quite manageable for my 5' 6” frame

Personally I prefer and have kept mine as a solo bike - you can cut a rectangle out of the ss radio box base plate and underneath there is a great storage area for tools etc

I also removed a whole load of wiring and bulky connectors from the secondary electrical loom, the cooling fan and reclaimed glove box space by ditching the auxiliary battery

At 30K miles I replaced both shock absorbers with Wilber units - big improvement

If you are considering fitting Daylight Running Lights for extra visibilty and can lay your hands on the original authority posts that fit just ahead of the mirrors, that is a great option as it gives the classic triangle of light high up above surrounding traffic

I can spply photos of these mods if needed

Enjoy

• 2 months later...
DavidBowden

I want to keep my fan, but I dont mine removing weight from extra wires if they arent needed. How do you know which are used and which are not? I tried to remove the battery and had the fairing town way down but still couldnt get the extra battery out. Do you need to take the gas tank off?

i had a cobbler add 1/2” soles to my riding boots - that and a standard low seat has made my RTP quite manageable for my 5' 6” frame

Personally I prefer and have kept mine as a solo bike - you can cut a rectangle out of the ss radio box base plate and underneath there is a great storage area for tools etc

I also removed a whole load of wiring and bulky connectors from the secondary electrical loom, the cooling fan and reclaimed glove box space by ditching the auxiliary battery

At 30K miles I replaced both shock absorbers with Wilber units - big improvement

If you are considering fitting Daylight Running Lights for extra visibilty and can lay your hands on the original authority posts that fit just ahead of the mirrors, that is a great option as it gives the classic triangle of light high up above surrounding traffic

I can spply photos of these mods if needed

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...