IGNORED

Wethead handlebar position uncomfortable!

Rob Nowell

I got rid of my old 2000 RT for a new '16, and am really having trouble with hand cramping. The position of the hand grips seems to be off a couple degrees from my old bike. The pain comes to the "abductor pollicis brevis," the muscle of the base of the thumb in the (left) palm. Does anyone else feel the difference? Suggestions for dealing with the pain?

The bars seemed to be about the same bend as my '99 RT and I haven't noticed any pain in the palm of my left hand. But I did have a problem with my right wrist being sore after riding my '15 RT. Turns out it was from whacking the throttle open all the time:cool:

Maybe adjustable Helibars will fix you up...or a glass of scotch (after the ride of course)

https://www.helibars.com/categories/Handlebar-Risers-%26-Adapters-by-Bike-Brand/HeliBars-for-BMW/

I have a 2016, and I have hand cramps on the throttle side. I have a death grip from the dirt bike days. I really feel it, but never felt the angle was off.

I got rid of my old 2000 RT for a new '16, and am really having trouble with hand cramping. The position of the hand grips seems to be off a couple degrees from my old bike. The pain comes to the "abductor pollicis brevis," the muscle of the base of the thumb in the (left) palm. Does anyone else feel the difference? Suggestions for dealing with the pain?

Morning Rob

I agree with John in that grip puppies can help. Only I very much dislike fat handlebar grips so I cut the grip puppies to be about 1-1/2" (or a little less) wide then slide the short (thinner/tapered) end on the BMW grips & slide them up the inner radius on the factory grip a little (this gives me about a stock feeling thinner grip for my palms & the grip heater works as stock but I get some nice soft cushioning for the muscle area of the base of the thumb.

However, DR, the Wethead does have small diameter grips...so maybe the Grip Puppies wont feel SO bulky. In fact the narrow diameter may well be what is causing some of the issues.

I have not had this problem but went 2001 R1150RT to 2008 R1200RT to 2015 R1200RT (WC) so not straight from 1150 to 1200 (WC). However going from the original 1200 to the water cooled one I noticed (and dislike) the much narrower handle bars and installed Grip Puppies to solved this "issue". Being 6' 4" I also installed a foot-peg lowering kit and the Illium Works bar backs (http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30%2D500&pID=103).

You could consider both Grip Puppies (cheap) and/or bar back (not so cheap!) to see if they help?

I personally like the Beemer Buddies as they have better gripping properties and aren't as thick as the Grip Puppies. I believe they're also easier to install (wrap and stick).

As always, YMMV

Plus 1. they help make up for the skinny grips on the Wethead feel good and work fine with heated grips in winter.

Jay

I personally like the Beemer Buddies as they have better gripping properties and aren't as thick as the Grip Puppies. I believe they're also easier to install (wrap and stick).

As always, YMMV

Plus 1. they help make up for the skinny grips on the Wethead feel good and work fine with heated grips in winter.

Jay

I installed these on my 2016 almost immediately after getting it. The grips on the wethead felt too small for my hand and I didn't like how hard they were. The neoprene covers added the right amount of cushion and bulk for me.

On the subject of Beemer Buddies (or grip buddies NOT GRIP PUPPIES) Would it be possible for someone to measure the outside diameter (or even the circumference, 'cos me and Pi are mates). I'd like to know what the difference is between stock, Grip Puppies and Beemer Buddies.

I have Grip Puppies but I tend to agree with those that have posted above. I think they are JUST too large a diameter.

Haha, thanksTerry, for the info. I laughed because I was going to ask for the dimensions in a real measurement and thankfully you added it (with the 'or')!

CM, MM, those are for challenged owners. Based entirely on 10, they remove the need to remove your shoes to count further. Now, a good SAE measurement will have all your digits in use allowing a MUCH higher degree of accuracy!

So I measured the O.D. Of the Grip Puppies and they measure at 39mm with no compression on the vernier.

Just out of interest, my comfortable stock 1150 measure at 35mm at the thickest part.

I haven't measured the O.D. of the stock Wethead grips yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Ilium Bar Back's on my RT. A bit of a different design but very comfortable. http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30%2D500&pID=103. Heli and Ilium have a somewhat similar approach. Heli cost $329, Ilium $105. Take a peek at both and see if either catches your eye.

I do not find the newer, non "spiral" grips as comfortable as the spiral grips of previous BMW's. I bought a pair of the older style spiral grips which are a bit larger in diameter on the outer portion of the grip and taper in near the inside of the grip. I ended up adapting to the bike so I did not end up installing the spiral grips but they are a great thing to consider: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/7290596.html.

the ones I've seen involve little gel pads in the palms, and their efficacy is probably debatable

Many manufacturers offer them. I tried a few over the years. Never made any noticeable long term difference to me and probably no short term improvement either. That concept has been around for a long time though and has helped some I expect, just not me.