IGNORED

Air/Fuel ratio gauge.

Zapata

Hello Team:

Has anyone installed one?

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/mtxl_plus.php

I will like to know how lean my RT is running. The previous owner installed a K&N Filter. Should I go to the stock filter?

Morning Zapata

You would basically need 2 of those gauge set-up's (one for each cylinder) as your camhead engine fuels each cylinder independently.

As far as running lean?-- In closed loop operation (most steady throttle normal warm-engine riding) your fueling (fuel richness/leanness)

is controlled by an o2 sensor (o2 sensor feed back) in each cylinder's exhaust. So the K&N really has no effect on fueling richness in that

area of operation.

At wide open throttle (or close to it) the main restriction in your intake is the air cleaner inlet snorkel so the K&N really has no effect in that operational area.

It's the light to moderate open loop area that you c-o-u-l-d be slightly effected but not enough to make much difference & even if it did you just don't ride in the open loop area long enough to harm anything.

Even IF you installed 2 of those fuel/air gauges it won't change anything as all those do is monitor the exhaust, they can't change the fueling.

If you want to add anything as far as fueling goes then add an AF-XIED unit from Knightrider.com ___ http://sales.nightrider.com/AF-XIED-for-BMW-R1200_p_59.html

As far as keeping the K&N filter. Good question. Eventually you might want to go back to the stock paper filter element but in years past I have used a K&N (or K&N type oiled gauze) on a LOT of motorcycles running in some pretty dusty & dirty environments at high air intakes levels & did not see any signs of dirt ingested engine damage. The K&N really excels in wet environments. I have since (last 15 years or so) switched to oiled foam over oiled gauze as those seem to work a little better off road but do restrict a little more than oiled gauze does.

I added the AF-XIED for BMW R1200 that DR suggested.

The bike runs smoother, stronger and has a little more get-up & go.

I installed a K&N filter, the AF-XIED & removed the exhaust flap all at the same time.

The butt dyno seemed like a few HP were added, but the real test was when I could pull away from my riding buddy's Triumph Trophy, on a second and third gear roll-on drag. I am guessing the AF-XIED made the most difference. The R1200 was also easier to get going from a stop, less stalling.

Prior to the aforementioned mods I could not pull away from the Trophy.

The AF-XIED allows you to vary the fuel mixture, then if you wanted to monitor it, you could see how the the adjustments affect your A/F ratio, power & gas mileage.

I installed the K&N to save money on filters, the other mods out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. 30K KM later all is running well.

I could not hear much difference from the stock muffler.

2012 R1200 RT

D.R:

Thank you very much for the explanation. What about going with the Dynojet PC-V?

I have used it before on my previous bikes and also the Dobeck AFR+ Controller. I like the fact that the Dobeck can monitor the AF Ratio and you can change it on the spot but I am afraid in the case of the RT engine I will have to use two of those and price will make it prohibited.

D.R:

Thank you very much for the explanation. What about going with the Dynojet PC-V?

I have used it before on my previous bikes and also the Dobeck AFR+ Controller. I like the fact that the Dobeck can monitor the AF Ratio and you can change it on the spot but I am afraid in the case of the RT engine I will have to use two of those and price will make it prohibited.

Evening Zapata

Bike really doesn't need anything as they run pretty darn good with stock fueling but if you want to add something then the best going seems to be the AF-XIED.

Evening Zapata

Bike really doesn't need anything as they run pretty darn good with stock fueling but if you want to add something then the best going seems to be the AF-XIED.

Got it D.R.

With the K&N air filter installed by the previous owner and the AF-XIED, do I need to change the muffler for the Akrapovic or Remus? Was thinking to remove the stock muffler and install just a straight pipe while I save money for the muffler. I am not planningto remove the flapper valve.

I had the DynoJet PC-V unit on my RT, it seemed to smooth things out a bit, but with the AF-XIED, there was a pronounced difference - for the better.

My DynoJet PC-V is for sale now. It was mapped by FuelMotoUSA for the camhead models & they did a great job.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/

I have the Dobeck on my 2008 C90 and it works great, in conjunction with the K&N and a less restrictive exhaust.

Edited by RSH

I do not think you need to remove the muffler unless you are looking for more noise or less weight.

The AF-XIED has adjustments so you can dial in the performance with the stock or a modded setup. I left it at the default setting of #7 on each side, as their suggestion seemed to be the best compromise between performance & gas mileage.

Also keep in mind all the differences I am referring to were very slight.

...Also keep in mind all the differences I am referring to were very slight.

Zapata,

Not considering the VR series as I no nothing about those, but generally speaking the change in performance you get on the FX and FL models buy opening up the intake, exhaust and making fueling mods are going much more significant that you would see on a BMW. The Motor Company has had to significantly sub optimize the breathing on the FL and FH series to meet EPA emissions and noise limits and that isn't nearly the case for BMW bikes. With BMW the correlation of loud = more power is limited at best. You'll get something notable with the changes you are considering but it will be more in the realm smoother throttle response rather than a big jump in power like folks experience on making those changes to their hawg.