IGNORED

Need 2008 R1200RT Garmin 590 mounting suggestions

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

So I get brilliant idea that I might want to update my Garmin 2720 GPS that I have had even longer than some of my socks. Yes, it still works, but it's a bit slow and cumbersome so when a fellow board member put their 590 Zumo up for sale, I bit. One of the things I didn't account for is that the wiring for the new GPS is more.....well... it seems to be something that requires a permanent style of mount that is left with the bike. I'm not used to that. With the 2720, I pull the power cable and neatly tuck it down past the key while I undo the ram mount and most of the hardware is gone from the bike.

The mounting looks something like this.....

DSC_0088-S.jpg

Well, the GPS I purchased came with a handy dandy Touretech locking mount. Looks completely cool, but it looks like the mounting needs to be left on the bike 24/7, no? This is pretty much what I have to start with.

Z590PKG-S-WEB.jpg

My problem is that the RAM mount system I was using with the 2720 just doesn't seem to fit the bill with the Touretech mount. I need to get this figured out before START. I've seen the massive shelves that some people use to mount their GPS/RADAR/ESPRESSO MACHINES but I am looking for something a bit more elegant in my solution. I only need to mount the GPS.

Here's the other fly in the ointment, I run a tank bag most any time I am running the GPS. This poses a problem with using some of the mounts that go between the handlebars.

I'd love to see what your using. Any suggestions would be helpful, even ones that might lead me down a path that I was certain I wouldn't want. :)

Shawn

Try the RAM mount builder. Start with this link and click on the blue box.

If the builder doesn't give you what you need, start over by scrolling to the GPS section and start again by GPS brand and model.

https://www.rammount.com/activity/motorcycle-mounts#/

The Touratech mounts always looked ridiculous to me and I always wondered why they had a lock.

If you parked at a hotel, you always take your GPS off with your other stuff plus, of someone really wanted your GPS, they could just wrench it off and something would bend or break anyway. Yes, it's a deterrent , but it's an ugly deterrent.

Lone_RT_rider

I have had a RAM mount system on my Previous Garmns (2610 and 2720) for over ten years now. It works great with the power cable system for those models. The issue becomes the POWER CRADLE that is required with the Garmin Zumo 590. It is not easily removable, so any thing you use to mount it to the bike ends up staying on the bike 24/7. The last think I need is some joker playing with the ram mounts, loosening them and possibly even stealing the components because I had to leave it hooked to the clutch reservoir all the time.

To me, the RAM mount system only makes sense when you can hide the power cable and remove the entire RAM mount anytime you stop.

I have one of these on my '09 RT: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8600887-888.html

What I like about it is the 590 is in my line-of-sight.

I secure the GPS with this: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/21041002.html This is not absolutely required, I have more to keep the Garmin cradle from popping open and bouncing the 590 along the road. Don't ask me how I know this can happen.

Yeah, this is not a cheap solution. IIR I bought the parts from Nippy Normans back when the dollar/pound exchange rate was much more favorable. Even with shipping (not that expensive) it was very reasonably priced (for Wunderlich stuff).

Edited by shuber

Shawn, it looks like you already have the clutch reservoir mount for you existing GPS. You will need to find a ball mount that will mount to the back of the Touratech mount or sell that mount and buy the Garmin mount for the Zumo 590. I have never had problem with anyone messing with a GPS mount on any of my bikes.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, it looks like you already have the clutch reservoir mount for you existing GPS. You will need to find a ball mount that will mount to the back of the Touratech mount or sell that mount and buy the Garmin mount for the Zumo 590. I have never had problem with anyone messing with a GPS mount on any of my bikes.

Chris, I have all of that already. My issue with that is this.

1. It will be permanently mounted to the bike (full ram mount system)

2. RAM mounts can be easily disconnected with the thumb screw on the double socket arm.

3. The power cradle is NOT easily removed because it's hardwired to the bike.

RAM-B-201U-A.jpg

That's a bad combination when I leave the bike parked out in the open for any amount of time.

Lone_RT_rider
I have one of these on my '09 RT: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8600887-888.html

Steve,

This looks like an option. I believe I could attach the Touretech mount I have already straight to it. I will have to check into that.

This is another mount I have found in my search. Shipping and the it's cost in Euro's might be an issue that would drive me to the Wunderlich.

2. RAM mounts can be easily disconnected with the thumb screw on the double socket arm.

Afternoon Lone_RT_rider

RAM makes a key lock for the wing nut on the double socket arm.

Locking Knob

Edited by dirtrider

Locking Knob

I use one of those for the RAM setup on my R1200R. It does work very well at securing the setup; however, just like the Wunderlich locking mount, there is yet another key you need to keep track of.

Lone_RT_rider

Locking Knob

I use one of those for the RAM setup on my R1200R. It does work very well at securing the setup; however, just like the Wunderlich locking mount, there is yet another key you need to keep track of.

Well, that's a new one on me! :) Thanks for that. It just proves that I've had the 2720 so long that I hadn't had a need to go looking for this kind of thing in a very long time.

Now all I have to do is consider whether getting the GPS off the handlebar and having it centered is worth the extra money over a 30 dollar knob.

Thanks so much :)

Now all I have to do is consider whether getting the GPS off the handlebar and having it centered is worth the extra money over a 30 dollar knob.

Maybe its me, but I can never get enough tension on the thumbscrew to keep the longer RAMs from slipping. I always swap out the thumbscrew for a regular nut as I never move it anyway. I guess it provides a bit more security than the thumbscrew as you'll need some kind of wrench or pliers.

Lone_RT_rider

Maybe its me, but I can never get enough tension on the thumbscrew to keep the longer RAMs from slipping. I always swap out the thumbscrew for a regular nut as I never move it anyway. I guess it provides a bit more security than the thumbscrew as you'll need some kind of wrench or pliers.

I just got that suggestion via IM too. I hadn't thought of that because with my old setup, every time I stopped for the night, I completely removed the entire ram mount (except for the reservoir ball mount). If I leave it, replacing the thumb screw with a nylock nut makes perfect sense.

I secure the GPS with this: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/21041002.html This is not absolutely required, I have more to keep the Garmin cradle from popping open and bouncing the 590 along the road. Don't ask me how I know this can happen.

Yeah, this is not a cheap solution. IIR I bought the parts from Nippy Normans back when the dollar/pound exchange rate was much more favorable. Even with shipping (not that expensive) it was very reasonably priced (for Wunderlich stuff).

I like this solution. But the Wunderlich mount product is silly money compared to this.

• 2 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider

So, I decided to front the big bucks and do something a bit more centered and permanent. I ended up going with the Misgel mount. Regardless of all the stories about long lead times, it was here within 10 days of ordering. So now I have to decide on the wiring routing. I've seen basically two different options that does not require breaking out the Dremel tool.

Over the back and under the panel.

migsel.jpg

And down the front of the dash.

RT%20GPS%20wiring%20001-S.jpg

Has anyone seen or heard of any other options to cleanly route the wires to the keyed connector in the front fairing?

Shawn

Edited by Lone_RT_rider
Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, I ran the wires down the holes of the wind shield arms.

There should be plenty of room, without pinching anything.

Thanks Bernie. I will take a look at that routing. Knowing how much you pay attention to detail, I'm sure it's going to be one of the best options. Thanks sir.

Shawn