IGNORED

R1200R Purchase

Roger C

Just sold my 2nd BMW last Monday and found a pristine 2011 R1200R for sale. Checked it out yesterday (Sunday), and gave the seller a deposit and commitment to buy. Can't wait to pick it up next week!

Gonna order some engine guards so I can mount some forward pegs. Some may think this to be cheesy but, hey, its my bike...

I have forward pegs on a GS. Extra Cheese for me! :grin: There's really nothing better than having the ability to stretch your legs on a long ride. :thumbsup:

Pat

Just sold my 2nd BMW last Monday and found a pristine 2011 R1200R for sale. Checked it out yesterday (Sunday), and gave the seller a deposit and commitment to buy. Can't wait to pick it up next week!

Gonna order some engine guards so I can mount some forward pegs. Some may think this to be cheesy but, hey, its my bike...

Update:

I bought the SW-Motech black engine guards as prescribed for my R1200R, 2 chrome 1 1/8" clamps (which I will paint black) and the Kury Longhorn black arms, and pegs--all for $479.54 from 2 different vendors. Saved several bucks and enjoyed the shopping around for the best deal.

I also remember the 2nd owner (with a 32" inseam) saying the original owner had the custom Corbin Seat made with a higher platform which the 2nd owner said fit him fine, so it should fit my long legs, as well. Life is good!

Edited by Roger C
Lone_RT_rider
I have forward pegs on a GS. Extra Cheese for me! :grin: There's really nothing better than having the ability to stretch your legs on a long ride. :thumbsup:

Pat

Pat's right on this one (and on a lot of other things). :beer:

You might already know all of this, but the key to being comfortable on a long ride is not only thing's like seats, handlebars and foot position that work for your personal ergonomics but also moving around a bit on the bike every 25 to 50 miles. Move your legs for and aft. Stand up when you get a safe area on the road to do so. Shift your posterior around in the seat but rocking side to side. If you do things like this, it will make sure you arrive a lot less fatigued.

You have to keep the blood flowing where it belongs! :):old:

One other thing I forgot. The R1200R I am getting has the barback risers already in place, thus adding to the "straight up" position of the driver as opposed to the slumped over appearance of which I see frequently.

Does anyone know of a source for a Clymer repair manual which includes year 2011? So far, I haven't found one and am awaiting a reply from Clymer as to whether they published one.

BTW, my Goldwing will be on the market probably by this weekend if you know any Honda likers looking for a pristine Goldwing.

Edited by Roger C
There is a Clymer manual for the RT and GS for 2010-2013 available. I would think it would cover for you any of the important bits.. namely engine!

I received a response from Haynes that they had no plans to publish a R1200R manual under the Clymer name which would include year 2011. Instead I was directed to their Haynes manual "BMW R1200 dohc Twins Haynes Service Manual # 4925" which I found on eBay for $32.99 from a 3rd party vendor. Sometimes I get stumped when doing a repair and find a good service manual to be of help. I also will be looking for an BMW factory manual at some point. Any suggestions where I can find such an animal?"

Any BMW dealer can order the repair DVD for you, part# 01598559606. There is no paper version. About $112+S/H at Max BMW, which seems to be typical pricing. Seems like a lot until you compare that to dealer labor rates. It requires a computer running Windows.

There is a Clymer manual for the RT and GS for 2010-2013 available. I would think it would cover for you any of the important bits.. namely engine!

I received a response from Haynes that they had no plans to publish a R1200R manual under the Clymer name which would include year 2011. Instead I was directed to their Haynes manual "BMW R1200 dohc Twins Haynes Service Manual # 4925" which I found on eBay for $32.99 from a 3rd party vendor. Sometimes I get stumped when doing a repair and find a good service manual to be of help. I also will be looking for an BMW factory manual at some point. Any suggestions where I can find such an animal?"

Get the manual I suggested, R1200R isn't that different mechanical wise than a RT/GS, Haynes idea to get an R1200C manual is crazy'. They're much different. The 2010-2013 RT is same engine etc.