IGNORED

2009 R1200R Tank breather hoses

ltljohn

2009 R1200R

Pulled my fuel tank to check the air filter, the two breather hoses on the right side of the bike came loose and I do not know which is which. The connector has two barbed fittings with a vertical alignment and I assume that the upper one goes up to the the canister and the lower goes down to the drain is this correct? That would make sense but I just want to check.

2009 R1200R

Pulled my fuel tank to check the air filter, the two breather hoses on the right side of the bike came loose and I do not know which is which. The connector has two barbed fittings with a vertical alignment and I assume that the upper one goes up to the the canister and the lower goes down to the drain is this correct? That would make sense but I just want to check.

Evening ltljohn

Easy way to tell is to just blow some air (by mouth) into each hose then see where the air comes out.

UXdgYEC.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

I can see where each hose goes to but which barb connects to the canister and which one goes to the drain. Looking at your picture it appears my theory is upside down.

Edited by ltljohn
I can see where each hose goes to but which barb connects to the canister and which one goes to the drain. Looking at your picture it appears my theory is upside down.

Evening ltljohn

I can't tell you for sure as I haven't had the fuel tank off of a 1200R bike in a long time now. That picture came out of my BMW service manual so hopefully it is correct.

I usually mark the hoses before dis-assembly but if I'm in doubt I blow air thorough them & see where it comes out.

With just 2 hoses then you only need to identify one all the way through then the remaining hose goes to the other fitting.

D.R. & ltljohn -

I've done this on my 1150RT and maybe it would work on your bike. Easy access to the overflow drain just under the gas cap. Squirt a shot of WD40 into the overflow drain and see where it comes out. Whatcha think?

D.R. & ltljohn -

I've done this on my 1150RT and maybe it would work on your bike. Easy access to the overflow drain just under the gas cap. Squirt a shot of WD40 into the overflow drain and see where it comes out. Whatcha think?

Morning TheOtherLee

That would work if you are sure that you have them hooked up correctly. Problem is, if they are hooked up backwards he could end up WD-40 in the emission evaporation canister.

Now if the bike didn't have an evap can then the WD-40 would work just fine. But, if the bike didn't have an evap can then it wouldn't matter how the hoses were hooked up.