IGNORED

FIRE!

elkroeger

So, one person showed up late to work this morning. Not unusual. There's snow on the roads. That's uncommon here. Yeah sure, come in a little late. No biggie. She mumbled something about burning down the house.... Drama queen. Prolly left the coffee pot on....

Later another person told me the story: Her roommate has been sick. And they have a wood stove. So she decides to warm up the house for her ill roomie, before she left. She packed the stove full of kindling, opened up the flue wide open, and lit the match. At some point the stove was running like a blast furnace, and the room was filling with smoke.

And she wasn't sure what to do...

Soooo...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

So she Googled it!

Oh my God.

Now you've heard everything. you're welcome.

I was at the Post Office a few days ago. As I waited my turn, I noticed a young man off to the side toiling on the vacant counter. This isn't that unusual. The man completed his task and then was called back in line just ahead of me. The postal worker asked some questions and sealed up the large envelope and reviewed some rudimentary details to the customer, and the customer left. The postal clerk was being relieved by another, so the was a period while they collected and swapped their drawers and papers. The clerk leaving took the opportunity to tell the other that the previous customer did not know what AN ADDRESS was! The man simply came in with an envelope and when the clerk asked what address it was to be sent to, the man honestly didn't know what that was. It wasn't that he didn't know what the correct address was (although this, too was true) - he didn't know what an address was or how to address an envelope.

Apparently, the customer did know how to google and was able to retrieve the mailing address, and with the help of the clerk, was shown how to make out an address properly on a the large envelope.

I guess there's a first time for everything.

Thinking about the shrinking significance of US Mail vs email and social media, perhaps this isn't as surprising as I thought.

Several years ago, in 1st aid class, we were on the topic of a choking victim. Heimlich maneuver and all that. One attentive student asked whether it was prudent to call 911 first, and then administer aid to the victim.

You ever call 911? You're gonna be on the phone for a spell. The rule of thumb that I've always heard is you've got 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. That poor chap with the wad of brisket in his gullet doesn't have a chance!

I guess the good news is that the 911 operator will tell you to put the phone down and go help the guy. GO! DO IT NOW! And these days everyone has a cell phone in their pocket, rather than having to run down the hall and find a land line.... but still.

in the spirit of Erics first post....This morning my wife and I went to a local breakfast place. It is always a little crowded on Sunday morning. This morning it was a quite crowded with the rodeo in town and we decided to not wait for a table, but took 2 seats at the counter. Sitting next to me was a lady estimated at 25-28 years old. She was with her father I would guess to be mid 50's.

The conversation started out as typical as you might think. She had a phone about the size of a portable TV. She was trying to show pop something on facebook and tweet. You could tell he was a bit lost. Now the good part. This breakfast place is just an old fashion diner. She was really struggling with the menu. The waitress ask her how she wanted her eggs and she was dumbfounded. I kid you not, she had no idea how to order breakfast eggs in a restaurant. It was pretty cute as her father tried a few times to explain, scrambled, over easy, medium, benedict, etc. She finally said that is just too confusing and said can I have oatmeal. The look on her face when the waitress said regular or steel cut was beyond priceless.

You think it was the first time in her life he'd taken her to breakfast?

Wait - are you sure it was her dad? Tinder?

in the spirit of Erics first post....This morning my wife and I went to a local breakfast place. It is always a little crowded on Sunday morning. This morning it was a quite crowded with the rodeo in town and we decided to not wait for a table, but took 2 seats at the counter. Sitting next to me was a lady estimated at 25-28 years old. She was with her father I would guess to be mid 50's.

The conversation started out as typical as you might think. She had a phone about the size of a portable TV. She was trying to show pop something on facebook and tweet. You could tell he was a bit lost. Now the good part. This breakfast place is just an old fashion diner. She was really struggling with the menu. The waitress ask her how she wanted her eggs and she was dumbfounded. I kid you not, she had no idea how to order breakfast eggs in a restaurant. It was pretty cute as her father tried a few times to explain, scrambled, over easy, medium, benedict, etc. She finally said that is just too confusing and said can I have oatmeal. The look on her face when the waitress said regular or steel cut was beyond priceless.

well she was calling him dad... I guess that could mean anything these days. Suspect she as been to breakfast with dad dozens of times...probably first time mom or dad wasn't there to order for her.