IGNORED

07 R1200R Rear Brake

bulletbill

My rear brake does not work by itself but when I iuse the front brake the rear works. ot any ideas????

How have you determined that it doesn't work.

Doesn't it work AT ALL or does it sort of work just not aggressively?

aggieengineer

Exactly. Some folks might be surprised at how little stopping force is available from the rear wheel compared to the front.

Edited by aggieengineer

BMW set rear brake calibration to properly handle rapid and emergency braking. When braking extremely hard, and with proper high front brake application, weight transfer goes forward, giving the rear the brake a strong tendency to skid due to very low weight on the rear wheel.

So, when BMW calibrated front-to-rear brake balance to handle this possibility, it caused very low rear braking power at all times.

BMW set rear brake calibration to properly handle rapid and emergency braking. When braking extremely hard, and with proper high front brake application, weight transfer goes forward, giving the rear the brake a strong tendency to skid due to very low weight on the rear wheel.

So, when BMW calibrated front-to-rear brake balance to handle this possibility, it caused very low rear braking power at all times.

Morning Yellowknife

The rear brake FROM the rear brake pedal is a direct apply so no front-to-rear balance (until it enter ABS mode).

The rear brake FROM the front lever is balanced but not to any specific fixed calibration. The rear brake apply from the front lever is servo applied

& adaptive (learns F/R braking balance). This means the brake system is constantly monitoring front/rear braking balance & adjusting the front/rear

bias to keep the braking evenly distributed on both front & rear.

My rear brake does not work by itself but when I iuse the front brake the rear works. ot any ideas????

Let me restate the issue. I have no rear brake pedal and then when I apply front brake at that time I have rear brak pedal?

Let me restate the issue. I have no rear brake pedal and then when I apply front brake at that time I have rear brak pedal?

Morning bulletbill

Getting close but still need more in depth info?

When you say no rear pedal does it stroke all the way to the stop with no rear brake apply, or won't the pedal move at all?

If the pedal strokes full travel then possibly out of brake fluid in rear reservoir (don't let the little rubber bladder in the rear reservoir fool you as you need to remove it to see if there is fluid under it). It can have fluid on top of the bladder & it will look full but no brake fluid can reach the rear master cyl piston.