IGNORED

A little help for remounting final drive

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

I reassembled the swing arm, drive shaft, etc. and was attaching the final drive to the swing arm using the pivot bolt.

Everything I've read advises a max torque setting of 100 nm. Also, videos I've watched advised the same. In the videos, after torquing, the final drive swung up/down with ease.

After torquing mine, the final drive was fixed in the position when tightened and would not raise/lower easily to mate with the drive shaft?

What am I not doing correctly?

TIA

I reassembled the swing arm, drive shaft, etc. and was attaching the final drive to the swing arm using the pivot bolt.

Everything I've read advises a max torque setting of 100 nm. Also, videos I've watched advised the same. In the videos, after torquing, the final drive swung up/down with ease.

After torquing mine, the final drive was fixed in the position when tightened and would not raise/lower easily to mate with the drive shaft?

What am I not doing correctly?

TIA

Morning John

Do you have the spacer back in place & in correctly?

If that spacer is not reinstalled correctly then tightening the pivot bolt will clamp the final drive tight to the swing arm.

VkWCuTf.jpg

John Ranalletta

DR, do have an exploded view of the entire pivot pin assembly? Thank you.

Never mind, I have it from Bob's BMW parts fiche. Thanks...

Edited by John Ranalletta
  • 1 month later...
John Ranalletta

The GS is slowly making its way back to life. The first, short test ride was successful.

The drive shaft and right turn signal assembly were replaced. Still need a bunch of miscellaneous fasteners, etc.

I took the beak and plastic tank cover to a fellow who restores classic cars for painting. He asked, "What color?". I replied, "Surprise me!". Look, the GS has 112k miles and destined to see some dirt this summer; so, who cares what color it is? Also, it's next stop will probably be in parts 'n pieces at beemerboneyard.com.

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

Lone_RT_rider
The GS is slowly making its way back to life. The first, short test ride was successful.

John, I have genuine concern for how your apexing that curve in your driveway. I think you need some remedial training. Meet you at Mid-Ohio for a track day? :D:rofl: