IGNORED

They Make Me Look Good

EffBee

It's approaching Springtime, and soon we'll begin our annual fundraising to cover the yearly costs (for 2018) of hosting and running this non-commercial website. But before I do that, as the owner/current caretaker of this site, I was thinking about it and what keeps us going (besides your generous donations). And not only is it the great members we have, but it's also a GREAT Admin Team. Not just that there is one, but it's also the dedication and the quality of people who are on this Team who keep this place humming along smoothly.

New member registrations?

Every single New Member Registration gets checked out through at least 3 or more spam checker websites to see if they've been reported as spammers elsewhere. Then we check where their IP address originates from. Istanbul, China, India, etc? Such locations have exhibited a higher probability of them being a spammer, even if never before reported (at least that's what experience has taught us). They get an email asking for pictures of them and their machine as well as a request for some personal information. No reply within 48 hours? Denied.

We also check them out by other means I'm not going to delineate here (don't want to give the bad guys any useful info). And this full screening also applies to applicants from more statistically benign places, including the U.S. One screening source identifies Dictionary Attackers, others Spam Bots, others server farms, others email harvesters, etc. etc. If they're bad, go away. If they're really bad, BANski baby. Never to be heard from again.

All this takes time, and sometimes it's a judgment call and sometimes we discuss it with the other Admins. But whatever it is, we know and trust each other that the decisions made are in the best interest of the board and its members.

Ads. Oy, we get ads!

The Classified Rules and Guidelines have been the same for quite a while. And yes, ours are a bit different than some wide-open forums. Here, we require the seller and buyer conduct things in private via PM. And always with an asking price up front. This isn't eBay. Yet we know that some people forget, or some people don't read the rules and just assume we're like everyone else. So The Team communicates with them and reminds them of the Rules. Always courteously, and always with a request to simply fix the problem, resubmit the ad, and it should be approved without a hitch. On long ads with lots of products, photos or details, the Admins will copy and paste the text of the ad into the PM we send the seller, so that they don't have to retype the whole thing. Just copy/paste into a new ad, include the price or whatever required details are missing, and resubmit.

Ads also require a FS, WTB, WTT or similar prefix so that anyone looking at the title knows whether something is for sale, is being sought, for trade, or even free. Sometimes these tags get forgotten. The Team often puts them in for you (although we sometimes miss one or two). We sometimes correct typos on headlines, too, so "For Sell Rustle Saet" comes out looking right.

Politics, Guns, Religion and other verbotten subjects.

We learned a long time ago that EVERYTHING has a political aspect to it. You can't talk about the price of chewing gum, gas mileage, tires, oil or just about anything else without there being a political slant hiding somewhere in the background. And our members do a FANTASTIC job of steering clear of political details. Sometimes, though, we know the community needs to vent, especially over an important current event. So we relax the standards enough for people to express themselves and, as long as they don't get specific about politicians, parties, ideologies, or get personal with each other, it works out. But emotional issues do get people heated up, and that's where The Team has to put in some overtime, do some assessing and sometimes some damage control. They don't like to have to, but it's necessary.

And then there's the Other Stuff.

Misplaced threads. "I replied to the wrong post." " I posted the wrong price in my ad." "Can you fix this typo for me?" And so on. They guys on The Team handle it all with aplomb and graciousness. Sometimes they can help. Sometimes the rules say, if you posted it, it stays (so think before you hit Submit). It's all in a day's work for them, but they don't get enough credit. I do. As the owner here, the Good Guy comments end up in MY in-box. In reality, they belong to The Team. They are the ones who work hard behind the scenes, rowing, steering, navigating and making sure this place runs right! I'm just up in the crow's nest with a nice Cohiba, looking at the horizon and seeing where we need to go next.

Oh, and did I mention that we successfully completed a pretty major software upgrade this past year! That was a pretty strenuous undertaking, and yet it all seemed so smooth on the surface.

About mid-March, when we ask for your help to fund the site for another 12 months, keep in mind how many times you use it, how many friends you've made on here, how much you've saved based on product/service/riding information found within this community, and what it all means to you. And remember these four Admins who volunteer their time behind the scenes to keep it going so smoothly every single day, who make the board look good. They do it with care and passion, and they deserve all our support.

So please give it up for The Team:

Mike Boomgarden (Mike)

Mitch Patrie (Joe Frickin' Friday)

Mike Greiff (Greiffster)

Matt Banks (bakerzdosen) (tech guru extraordinaire)

Best BMW site on the planet. We users owe you a big debt of gratitude as well as a contribution.

Thanks for all that you do.

Best site on the planet. We users owe you a big debt of gratitude as well as a contribution.

Thanks for all that you do.

I fixed that a bit for you!

I am on a lot of different sites, mostly related to business. This site has no equal. No second runners up. I very much appreciate how it is run. I very much appreciate those that put the work into making it all happen!

This site and the work you all do is much appreciated.

I've learned a ton and shared my learned wisdom with others. The knowledge I've gained has allowed me to enjoy and appreciate my 1150RT to the fullest and I say thank you for that.

RPG

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not having term limits helps a lot.

:/

Actually, having a benevolent dictator for life makes it all possible. :Yes:

Thank you to you and the whole team. You folks run a great site. Honest high value content which seems to be getting more rare on the WWW. Sort of wandered away for a few years and that is my loss, But I'm back and sign on regularly these days....and will up my contribution accordingly.

And dang it, I'm planning to make the UnRally in 2019!!

This site is by far the best I have ever used. I have made good friends, saved lots of $$$$ with the advice and encouragement from the good folks here. Way back when I had my RT someone rode 100 miles to my house to walk me through the brake bleed process on my "whizzy" brakes (thanks again Keith). I can always come here to discuss issues without the political background noise. Many thanks to the team for keeping this running smooth.

Thank you FB and Team.

I say this from how how much I enjoy and use this forum (even though my use may be spuratic). And based on my expereince on other forums that are run by for-profit.

Edited by Redman
....................Politics, Guns, Religion and other verbotten subjects.

Hmmmm, I wonder when new threads about which oil will to use come under this heading......

Francois_Dumas

I joined this site 2 months before I bought my first BMW, back in 2004.... and even though I am one of the few 'outlandish' members - AND have been AWOL for a few years - I got to meet quite a few of the members in person.

Thanks for that.

And thanks for being the 'BMW family' that you all are, with a special thanks for those keeping things rolling behind the scenes ! :thumbsup:

Now, can we get some ideas on how to get people OFF Facebook and back onto the forums !!?? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Slumgullion

I really appreciate all yawls great work, although I don't post much when I do I know I won't get flamed! I really love Mr. Rogers' neighborhood it's a great community, thanks to you and your team.

I'm new and can already sense a great forum. I remember the old Concours forum -- it was a great community until people started fighting over who should own/control it. May that never happen here.

So, what is the donation situation. Memberships? Suggested donations? Do we get premiums like PBS? :-)

Nevermind! Clicked on the "Donations" button. Reading is really helpful if you actually do it!

Donated.

Edited by rhetoric